Sponsored by: Moser

1975 F-250 Supercab shortbed Barn Find: Lifted 2wd Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 06:10 PM
mofoco1
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Brakes going on.

Heres the cut down shield where it is sandwiched by bracket and spindle.

Mounted.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:35 AM
mofoco1
Laughing Gas

New fancy zapatos

All new bearings and seals what's funny is that three different parts houses had the wrong seal so I had to come back 3 times to the stores I was able to finally locate one of the old original seals and micrometered it out and we found the correct one which was of course not listed as one of the options on the screen.

Pretty huh, have to still install the new dust covers.

Well shes done and bow legged! You can see how much the I-beams need to be bent.

Look what happens when you dont open the box for 3 months. Need to clean these off tomorrow and paint em up before install.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:37 AM
mofoco1
Laughing Gas
You kind of sort of have to be creative trying to work in the hundred five degrees Central California weather on projects outside��

All i needed was the coconut rum!

Old 07-31-2017, 07:18 AM
BeauF0RD
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
great work and nice looking property.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:50 AM
good to doo
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nice job so far, I to built a lifted 2wd about 30 years ago. But I only went 2" up front. A question about bending the beams, won,t bending them that much pull them in to the middle.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:11 PM
mofoco1
Laughing Gas
The kudos and yes it will pull the wheels in just a hair to be honest with you it won't do that much once they're bent back to get Caster camber corrected the beans that they do for auto Fab or also bent they just happened to use longer radius arms to bring that back to Speck of it I may do that down the road but if you look back at some of the write-ups I also did this on a 79 F250 supercab that I sold it was a blue one I had absolutely no problems with it at all the only reason I sold it was because it needed a motor rebuild and since we have smog requirements here in California it just wasn't worth the effort for me to do that anymore I have too many of the pre smog vehicles that I can build to make look like the 79 s which is exactly what I'm doing. The last build was a 4 inch lift on it and again like I said I had no problems.

That the 79 short bed 2-wheel drive that I lifted 4 inches and on the side is the 75 that also has a 79 front end on it that we finish just a bit ago for my son

Old 08-01-2017, 02:26 AM
mofoco1
Laughing Gas
I didn't get off early enough today to go do any work so after 10 hours I just called it quits and settled do some more tomorrow I did though get my LED lights in today and I pre-fitted them into the round headlight buckets that are going to be placed from the donor 78 vehicle onto the 75 body. They seem to fit perfectly into all the slots that the old buckets have I think the only thing that I am going to get is some brand new stainless steel retaining rings so that'll look make it look even nicer against all the newer Chrome

This build I am going function over form and I know that these are not to everyone's liking but I like them on all of the vehicles that I have them on they work very well

Old 08-04-2017, 01:34 PM
mofoco1
Laughing Gas

Little cleaner, ready for paint.

Fugly

Donor 78's gone. No one wanted to take for parts in a timely matter, so a savy scraper came and got it. Another projects slated for that spot.

Mock up.

To give you an idea how much the beams need to be bent.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:55 PM
mofoco1
Laughing Gas

Getting rhere.

Now if only the new LMC chrome bezels would arrive.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:03 AM
mofoco1
Laughing Gas

Well got out the all-new brakes rotors and everything else installed early this morning at least on this one side.

Ran into a snag on the driver side caliper build up. Seems that even though I bought the pair of calipers from the parts store at the same time somehow in Ford's Infinite Wisdom they made a dual piston that also uses a 5/16 bleeder rather than like all the other ones they're 3/8 inch so had to run to the Parts House of luckily they happen to have a speed bleeder so now I have a mismatch size at least I one of the bleeders that I am using. Next year I will swap out that mismatched caliper.

Done except for the bleeding process I am going to wait because I'm going to also swap out the master cylinder and the brake booster tomorrow

Getting close.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:06 AM
mofoco1
Laughing Gas
The truck looks a little squatted in the rear that's because of all the lift up in the front obviously. I think the rear springs have probably sagged somewhat in the forty-odd years I have no clue whether it pulled very heavy trailers or not, I'm assuming it probably did. So with that I will probably end up bagging it. with the bent beams being done hopefully next week it'll probably end up being between 1 inch to 2 inches lower in the front although I think the back will still be a little squat. I probably will end up using a block whether an inch or more is going to be required I didn't have to do that with the last build with the 4 inch lift in fact it's at a 3/4 of an inch taller in the back that it did in the front so we will see what happens and how I'm going to address this I know that I am going to run airbags on it so any real fine-tuning I can always use them to do that.

Man those 33 inch tires look small, sorry for the blur it was 11pm and pic by headlight.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:42 AM
Fert
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok can I get edjucated some.... why did the beams get bent? how did you bend them and where? thanks just trying to learn.

Fert

Old 08-06-2017, 11:13 AM
mofoco1
Laughing Gas
Hey Fert, The I-beams are going to get bent to bring the camber back to spec. Since these trucks have king pins rather than a ball joint, to align them the beams have to be bent to get the top of the tire to go back towards the mid-line of the truck, so you are not running on the outer edge of the tire. Hope I explained that and not confused you more. The condition is caused when I installed the longer coil springs(lift). Installing Drop down brackets at the pivot points of the beams would have alleviated the tires sucking under, but I am not a fan of drop brackets. The same with lengthening the I-beam a bit. I may make a set of longer arms if I do not like the way things turn out. As to who does it, I have a big rig shop who is savvy at doing beams on semis do it. They have been doing trucks for us for many years, I had them do the Blue 79 2wd Lifted Supercab I sold a few months back. Hope that clears things up.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:52 AM
good to doo
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What about the caster?

Old 08-06-2017, 01:56 PM
mofoco1
Laughing Gas
Tie rods. Like I mentioned at the beginning, I did not have any issues on the last build. The tires you see on this truck are the ones on the 75 now, look near new, although they were on the Blue truck for 2.5yrs. do you see wear on the edges? Funny how that truck road better than the sons '11 F-250 Supercab SuperDuty. That was with only new shocks and coils. I also took that truck on multiple 4 hr. trips and no issues. Only thing was the wide tires do not like water at high speeds. Planning on installing a steering stabilizer too, it should address any shaking if any should arise.
Pismo dunes trip a few years back. You can see the tires(still the same ones I am going to use on the 75) in this pic. you can see how the tires are all lined up as they should. This was with 4"s of lift. I am considering the big mirrors on the 75 what do you guys think? Look real close and you can see one of the bends in the beam.

Quick Reply: 1975 F-250 Supercab shortbed Barn Find: Lifted 2wd Build