Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

2012 F150 Driver's speaker fades in and out - PROBLEM IDENTIFIED!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 12:05 PM
SPeace-ATL
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 F150 Driver's speaker fades in and out - PROBLEM IDENTIFIED!

So, I'm still getting used to this 2012 F150 and have been experiencing issues with the driver's side speaker fading out for 5-10 seconds and then fading back in. I was getting worried that the radio was defective or something.

Well, it is actually working as DESIGNED. Not that I like the design!

Okay, what is happening is that the NAV system periodically has something to say. Most frequently the message is "GPS Signal Lost". It appears that when the NAV system speaks it fades out the radio on the driver's side only, plays the message, and then fades the radio back in.

The volume on the NAV system app was turned ALL THE WAY DOWN so it was going through the motions of delivering a message, but no message was delivered since the volume was set at zero.

i just need to make it stop saying "You are over the speed limit!" all the time...

-----

Also, anyone know how to make it stop turning down the volume on my cell phone conversations when I put the truck in reverse? I back out of a parking space and have to ask the person I'm speaking to if they are still there???

Old 07-29-2017, 02:44 PM
thzpcs
Senior User
Very interesting, I can't say I'd ever have thought of that

Old 07-29-2017, 03:21 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
To make it stop lowering the volume on cell phone calls in reverse, turn off the back up sensors. The "over speed limit" warning is coming from the Nav or the truck itself?

I ask because I assume that you purchased the truck used. These trucks have another feature that will do this called "MyKey" or some variant of that. Its designed so that a key can be programmed to alert when the holder of that key exceeds a speed limit that was preset when the key was programmed (presumably by parents). It has other features and restrictions as well, I dont have my manual handy. Try a different key and see if you still get the same warning. Your manual should tell you all about it and how to disable it.

Old 07-29-2017, 03:57 PM
P.Bronner
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ran into this with my '11/350 a couple years ago while travelling. Drove me nuts until I figured it out.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:53 PM
SPeace-ATL
New User
Originally Posted by thzpcs
Very interesting, I can't say I'd ever have thought of that
I literally stumbled across it. We turned up the volume in the NAV system so it would give spoken directions and then I realized the next day when it did its routine fade out of the left channel it SPOKE to me instead of being silent.

Originally Posted by bigdaddyII
To make it stop lowering the volume on cell phone calls in reverse, turn off the back up sensors. The "over speed limit" warning is coming from the Nav or the truck itself?

I ask because I assume that you purchased the truck used. These trucks have another feature that will do this called "MyKey" or some variant of that. Its designed so that a key can be programmed to alert when the holder of that key exceeds a speed limit that was preset when the key was programmed (presumably by parents). It has other features and restrictions as well, I dont have my manual handy. Try a different key and see if you still get the same warning. Your manual should tell you all about it and how to disable it.
The Over Speed Limit warning is in the NAV application. You can set it to notify you at different percentages over the speed limit. You can't just choose 10 mph over or 15 mph over. It has to be a percentage.

I read about MyKey, but that wouldn't be a factor because the car lot where I purchased the truck only gave me one key.

I wanted to have a spare so I bought some programmable blanks on eBay. they didn't work, but the shop that was trying to program them wound up erasing all the keys from memory. Well, it takes 2 acceptable keys at the time of programming or it won't add any keys. It won't set up with just one key. I had to run out and pay the ransom for a genuine Ford key from a dealer. With the two genuine keys it was allowed to program them.

Two weeks later the car lot called me and said they just happened to find a second key to my truck... I went through the add a key sequence and added the lost original key back into memory. Now I have 3 keys and am much poorer for it.

You mentioned to turn off the backup sensors. I don't know that I have any sensors other than the backup camera. Also, it turns the radio to ZERO if I am not quick enough in putting my seat belt on. When I put it in drive after being in reverse and the seat belt isn't on it TURNS THE RADIO VOLUME TO ZERO. I guess that would also silence my phone call if I have one going then too... I want to disable that too...

I've never had a vehicle with such "Attitude" about my driving.