RV Slide won't stay fully in/out

Old 07-29-2017, 09:22 AM
truckfella
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
RV Slide won't stay fully in/out

I know this question likely belongs in an RV forum. But honestly the quality of answers related to RV questions are often times better here, so I'll try this first.

We have a 2009 Arctic Fox slide in truck camper, model 811. We purchased the unit new and have used it a ton.

We just returned from 4 days camping and I encountered a problem with my slide out.

The motor which runs the slide in and out seems to work perfectly fine. The speed going in and out is completely normal- exactly what is has been since we bought it. Likewise, the sound of the motor is normal- no grinding or groaning or anything like that. But when I run the slide fully out, after I release the slide operation switch, the slide unit will not stay fully out. Rather, it will creep back inward about 2 inches or so and come to rest in that position.

When I run the slide fully in for travel, again, the unit will sorta unsquish itself from the fully closed seals about an inch or so. And during driving, the slide will tend to creep out. I needed to stop a couple of times in 100 miles of driving and run it back in as it would creep out 4-5 inches - especially on windy roads where going around corners would tend to ease it further into the "out" position.

I assume the electrical motor has some kind of a safety brake on it which may have failed in some regard? Would appreciate any input others with similar problems have had.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:28 PM
truckfella
Elder User
So I guess I'll answer my own question - or at least add a little more info.

I disengaged the manual brake release lever on my slide motor, then manually slid the slide out and in via the T-bar provided from the factory. And then re-engaged the brake lever. Now, everything seems to be working just fine again. Not sure exactly what I maynhave toggled by the above actions, but the slide unit stays fully open and fully closed.

The real test I suppose will be next weekend when I log another couple hundred miles with the camper on the truck.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:47 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,404 Likes on 1,000 Posts
I just saw your posting and as I was reading was going to suggest a look at the motor.

Seems you found the issue.

I suppose at this point you might want to buy a spare motor if this happens again.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:19 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by truckfella
So I guess I'll answer my own question - or at least add a little more info.

I disengaged the manual brake release lever on my slide motor, then manually slid the slide out and in via the T-bar provided from the factory. And then re-engaged the brake lever. Now, everything seems to be working just fine again. Not sure exactly what I maynhave toggled by the above actions, but the slide unit stays fully open and fully closed.

The real test I suppose will be next weekend when I log another couple hundred miles with the camper on the truck.
powergear motor? Sounds like lock is worn out, but maybe you are lucky. How do the teeth and gear look that run the slide in and out?

Steve

Old 07-30-2017, 06:22 PM
truckfella
Elder User
Yes, the motor is Power Gear. Pic of the motor itself below.

The teeth look great. I couldn't manage to get a good picture of the teeth on the motor itself, but I'm attaching pics of teeth on the slide. There are no metal filings anywhere.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:26 PM
truckfella
Elder User
I should add that I've run the slide in and out probably 20-30 times this weekend after I managed to get the brake working again. It seems to be working flawlessly still.

Considering that our camping trips usually involve at least 5-10 miles of dirt and/or washboard roads, maybe the bumping and jostling caused the little brake lever to slip out of its usual position *just enough* to disengage it? That's merely a guess on my part.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:46 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,404 Likes on 1,000 Posts
could be but I wonder if having a spare might be a good idea.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:15 AM
truckfella
Elder User
Yeah, good suggestion for sure. If it gives me any more issues whatsoever, I'll definitely look into it. I haven't shopped for a replacement AT ALL but I'm guessing they run about $200 or so. Kinda hard (right now anyway) to justify dropping that kinda coin on a part to keep in a drawer "just in case".

Old 07-31-2017, 03:50 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by truckfella
I should add that I've run the slide in and out probably 20-30 times this weekend after I managed to get the brake working again. It seems to be working flawlessly still.

Considering that our camping trips usually involve at least 5-10 miles of dirt and/or washboard roads, maybe the bumping and jostling caused the little brake lever to slip out of its usual position *just enough* to disengage it? That's merely a guess on my part.
that does seem to be the case. Problems with that system were really uncommon.

Steve

Old 07-31-2017, 10:24 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,078 Likes on 980 Posts
Have you been to the Arctic Fox website and asked if anyone has had this problem?

Home - Northwood RV Owners Association Forum