DeMotte, IN to Myrtle Beach trip report

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 07:53 PM
Bugzilla46310
Laughing Gas
Received 280 Likes on 151 Posts
DeMotte, IN to Myrtle Beach trip report

2016 F350 Lariat (known as Cholak), 6.2, 4.3, camper package, cab lights, 28,500 miles. 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS, 7,675 dry weight per brochure. Myself, my wife, our daughter and 3 Shih Tzu’s. Stayed at the NC Ashville West KOA on the way down and Newport TN KOA on the way back.

Temperatures to Myrtle Beach: mid 90’s most of the way. Return: mid to upper 80’s most of the way. High humidity all the way. Used AC all trip.

Total Drive time including about 75 miles with no camper 39 hours, 1886 miles, 228 gallons of gas, 8.3 mpg average. Kept the speed between 65-70 most of the time on the interstate. Hit 75 on few occasions with smooth roads but prefer to keep it below 70. From DeMotte to KY, (230 miles) Cholak averaged 8.8 mpg. Then we hit the hills.

Total miles with tow haul mode activated: 0. Total miles with 6th gear locked out: maybe 50

Hit 3rd gear only a few times in the TN, NC hills. Maybe hit 4000 rpms on those occasions. Amazing how well Cholak towed in 6th gear, even up mild grades. Kept the rpm’s at or below 2500 most of the trip, but seemed like it would run at 3500 all day. 2500 rpms at about 70 mph seems to be a sweet spot in 5th gear. Do not know how accurate the “grade meter” is. Seemed to read 1 degree higher on grades going down and 1 degree less on grades going up. Seeing the truck was slightly lower in the rear seems like this should have read the opposite. Not sure how the system is set up. The side to side grade seemed accurate going around banked turns, but hard to tell driving.

Put in a few tanks of 89 octane when in the hills. The only observation I can make about this is it drained the pocket book faster, but made no difference in the performance of the truck what so ever.

No trouble keeping up with the big rigs in the hills (except a few sharp looking KW’s). No need to keep up with anyone on the flats. Most frustrating were the times some uncourteous driver would cause you to lose your momentum approaching or going uphill.

Checked the truck trip-mpg meter only once on a fill up. It was off by about .5 gallon, but that also captured maybe 5 miles not included, so it appeared to be accurate.

The roads in KY were the best. TN came in second, NC third, IN fourth and SC last.

Was disappointed in Myrtle Beach. Besides a beach, small amusement park and ants, nothing to do but buy tee shirts and eat. No return trip seen here. Hit Gatlinburg on the way back. Much like the Wisconsin Dells without water, but with hills. Enjoyed Gatlinburg and will go back to the area to explore Dollywood and maybe do a zip line or white water rafting.

The rest stops were good with the exceptions of the ones just getting into SC on I-26. No (very limited) big truck parking or camper parking. Must have been designed before the invention of the Semi-Truck. The Myrtle Beach KOA was the most disappointing as it was not up to expectations and was the most expensive and largest. The laundry room was dirty, some of the workers were not near as friendly. The picnic table at our site I would have cut up for firewood years ago. The replacement they brought was not much better. The Asheville West and Newport KOA’s were much smaller with less amenities, but the people were very friendly and the facilities were clean. The prices were also lower as you were not in a tourist trap.

Attached Images   
Old 07-28-2017, 09:14 PM
jhedges
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the update. Going to Tybee Island Labor Day and will be heading along the same route.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:48 PM
burgy
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Myrtle Beach State Park is a person favorite. Great empty beach, wooded are for camping. You cant just do MB, you have to go down coast. Lots to see and do.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:47 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
We usually do Ocean Lakes, but have stayed at nearly all of them. Never the KOA. The state parks there are both good and it is an easy bike ride from the MB State Park over to the high end restaurants in the Myrtle Beach Market Commons. We go either before Memorial Day or after Labor Day. Too hot and crowded in the summer.

Steve

Old 07-29-2017, 06:55 PM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Yeah never did the KoA in MB either. However the times we were there it was Lakewood which is right next to Ocean Lakes and Pirates Cove. Alright I guess. However, the last time to MB, it was the road trip from hell with my parent's vehicle issues, road conditions, traffic, people, and getting to a campground at 130AM. Ughhhhh..... Overall the beaches in the area are pretty nice. There is a few state park places in the area. There are also some good places to eat besides the picnic table. I can see what you mean about MB proper.

However, nice trip report. It's nice to read a road trip report with some good points of view.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:06 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
I have stayed at many a KOA, I tend to prefer them over others, but occasionally there is one not up to par or even close for that matter.

Report it online at KOA.com.

Good report but why did you not use the tow/haul mode to help save your brakes going downhill?

Old 07-30-2017, 09:50 AM
CGMKCM
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
We usually do Ocean Lakes, but have stayed at nearly all of them. Never the KOA. The state parks there are both good and it is an easy bike ride from the MB State Park over to the high end restaurants in the Myrtle Beach Market Commons. We go either before Memorial Day or after Labor Day. Too hot and crowded in the summer.

Steve
I agree 100% with Steve. Ocean Lakes, before Memorial day and after Labor day. We go 5 or 6 times a year and enjoy that end of Myrtle beach.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:06 PM
machmedic
Laughing Gas
Received 106 Likes on 61 Posts
Ocean Lakes is our usual stop also. Going back in October for first time this year. Cant wait!

Old 07-31-2017, 08:15 PM
CaptFX4
Senior User
Originally Posted by machmedic
Ocean Lakes is our usual stop also. Going back in October for first time this year. Cant wait!
We'll be there October as well. It'll be our 3rd trip to Ocean Lakes this year.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:17 PM
CaptFX4
Senior User
Originally Posted by RV_Tech

Steve
We Arrived at Ocean Lakes Saturday. I can attest to the crowd. Beach is packed by 1 pm. These summer trips are for the kids. I have no problem hanging out in the camper and looking at me truck

Old 08-03-2017, 11:57 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 214 Likes on 144 Posts
We are going to Huntington Beach SP for Thanksgiving, second year in a row.