2011 to 2019 Explorer Discuss the 2011 to 2019 Explorer

2016 interceptor exhaust in cabin

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 06:42 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As I've said before I haven't had this issue with my 13 Explorer. My wife drives it. If it had a problem she would let me know.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:30 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by PupnDuck
Well, some of these things might depend on which model Explorer you're thinking about but some pertain to all models. I went from a Super Duty Quad Cab to an Explorer Sport.

I found the seats to be terrible. They're designed for someone with a fairly narrow rear axle.

The third row seats are a joke. No adult can sit comfortably back there and you need to be double jointed to reach them. When they're up you have virtually no cargo area. I folded mine down 2 days after purchase and they stayed that way until the day I traded it.

Do you like phony engine sounds piped in through the audio system? All the time.

The front air dam is less than 6 inches off the ground. It won't clear a parking lot wheel stop. And when you do rip it off (and you will) the part is almost 300 bucks and a pain to install. But it does make a nice snow plow in the winter! There's a **** that lets you select various off-road conditions (dirt, sand, snow, rocks etc.). Yea sure!

With a shorter wheelbase, and if you spring for the 20 inch tires the ride is nothing spectacular. My 2017 F150 rides better.

After 3 years I gave up and went back to a pickup. But hey, maybe you'll love it!
The car wouldn't be for me, it's for my wife. The Expy is getting too big for her to handle as she's partially disabled now. I need something smaller and easier for her to handle.

Ideally I'd rather put her in a 4x2 F-150 Screw and call it a day. It's hands down the least expensive most durable option for a grocery getter.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:59 AM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
The car wouldn't be for me, it's for my wife. The Expy is getting too big for her to handle as she's partially disabled now. I need something smaller and easier for her to handle.

Ideally I'd rather put her in a 4x2 F-150 Screw and call it a day. It's hands down the least expensive most durable option for a grocery getter.
2015 Sport, also the wife's car. She loves it (traded up from an Escape), but likes the size of my Edge more and more. The 3rd row seats are not at all what I'd call "handicap accessible", but I've used them for adults several times and if you make sure you both "tip" and "tumble" the second row seats they are perfectly functional. The piped-in motor sounds are stupid, but welcome to the world of modern turbos. F-150's and BMW's (and more) also do this - it's childish, but hardly a deal breaker. The seats are narrow for sure. I'm 205, 6' 1" and I find that if I pull my wallet out of of my left rear pocket it's much more comfortable. Handling and power-wise the car is a joy to drive. The 3.5 EcoBoost doesn't make it an economy car by any means. There are some annoying features, like when you shut it down it sends the drivers seat all the way back to the end of travel - even if there is someone directly behind, so if they have long legs let them out before you shut it off, lol. Basically a great vehicle, but way over-priced (as is the case with almost anything new nowadays.)

Old 08-23-2017, 10:54 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jim,
look in your personal settings on the car, you can turn off a LOT like the seat sliding back...
that's one feature we really like so it's activated for us
(at least on our 13 sport that we really like )

we've had 6 adults in ours many times - but we do have the second row bucket seats which allows them to walk between them to get back there...

Old 08-23-2017, 11:17 AM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
Jim,
look in your personal settings on the car, you can turn off a LOT like the seat sliding back...
that's one feature we really like so it's activated for us
(at least on our 13 sport that we really like )
Thanks, I'll check that out. It does help me get my legs in/out of the vehicle, but at the expense of sometimes crushing my passengers, lol.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:44 PM
PROSTOCK
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by PupnDuck
Well, some of these things might depend on which model Explorer you're thinking about but some pertain to all models. I went from a Super Duty Quad Cab to an Explorer Sport.

I found the seats to be terrible. They're designed for someone with a fairly narrow rear axle.

The third row seats are a joke. No adult can sit comfortably back there and you need to be double jointed to reach them. When they're up you have virtually no cargo area. I folded mine down 2 days after purchase and they stayed that way until the day I traded it.

Do you like phony engine sounds piped in through the audio system? All the time.

The front air dam is less than 6 inches off the ground. It won't clear a parking lot wheel stop. And when you do rip it off (and you will) the part is almost 300 bucks and a pain to install. But it does make a nice snow plow in the winter! There's a **** that lets you select various off-road conditions (dirt, sand, snow, rocks etc.). Yea sure!

With a shorter wheelbase, and if you spring for the 20 inch tires the ride is nothing spectacular. My 2017 F150 rides better.

After 3 years I gave up and went back to a pickup. But hey, maybe you'll love it!
Hilarious!

I liked the looks, glad I don't have to drive it....wife does. Normally when I buy, it's going to be around for at least 15 years, the "investment" is terrible. I may have to trade this one off. Nothing "wrong" with it, been very reliable, but pretty much agree with Duck. I also find it hard to get in and out. Totally agree my F-250 KR rides way better than this with 20" wheels. Ours (hers) is a Lariat FWIW.

Old 01-06-2018, 05:35 PM
daltonjamesadams
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
They replaced all of the seals in the hatchback, around tail lights, some others in the rear, reprogrammed the AC, and put some ugly turn down exhaust tips that the muffler shop welded on crooked, but i think they have fixed the problem.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:20 PM
fordboy67
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I heard that is the "solution". I did some serious research as we just traded the wife's 04 Escape for a 14 Explorer.