What's your driver's license?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 01:22 PM
Captain 'Murica
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Drisean
Thank you to all who have responded. Interesting.
I have a NC DL and it says: Any noncommercial single vehicle with a GVWR of less than 26,001 lbs. A vehicle towing a vehicle which has a combined GVWR of less than 26,001 lbs. For us it seems the GVWR on the stickers will make or break you.
The wording of the NC DOT is much more ambiguous, btw.
This is incorrect. Based on the wording I went to the DMV in Raleigh after buying a DRW F-350 with a GVRW of 14,000 and a 5er with a GVWR of approx 16,000. I specifically asked about what license I was required to have and they told me that as long as I actually weighed under 26,001 #s that I was legal with a normal license. I guess when I upgrade to a TH later on I will have to get the upgraded license.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:38 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
But you weren't just looking to fill a seat... you collected vintage fire trucks... and needed the CDL A to drive them, didn't you? Do you still have the collection?
It was a collection of one, and I sold it a few years ago.

I didn't need a commercial license for a couple reasons. First, it weighed 22,000 pounds fully loaded. So it was under CDL territory. And I only drove it for personal use, not commercially. I was also never paid to drive it, so once again, no CDL required.

I got the Class A when I was a Ford engineer. I was working on the tunes for the 2003-2007 5R110W behind the 6.0L diesel. My test fleet included an F-550 which had a GCWR of 33,000 pounds. Since Ford was paying me when I drove it, and there was a trailer attached I needed a CDL-A. I went to truck driver's school and learned to drive a semi with a 10 speed manual (I already knew how to drive a manual, just never one with that many gears) to do automatic transmission development. When I was working I had to have a log book with me and follow all of the commercial restrictions.

I have the CDL on hiatus now. That way I don't need to get DOT physicals and deal with the restrictions that a CDL brings. Florida DMV tells me to turn it back on I have to get a DOT physical and pay a fee. It costs me nothing to keep it like it is, so I do. Who knows if I'll ever need it? I hope not, I really don't want to drive a truck for a living. My son did for several years. It did not look like a great way to make a living.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:49 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
I have the CDL on hiatus now. That way I don't need to get DOT physicals and deal with the restrictions that a CDL brings. Florida DMV tells me to turn it back on I have to get a DOT physical and pay a fee. It costs me nothing to keep it like it is, so I do. Who knows if I'll ever need it? I hope not, I really don't want to drive a truck for a living. My son did for several years. It did not look like a great way to make a living.
Does holding a CDL automatically mean only driving a big 18 wheeler tractor trailer and that nonsense?

Put another way, are there other jobs that require a CDL, but involve shorter runs driving a van or somesuch? I've not looked into this but I'd think drug free good driving record responsible individuals would be in demand for all kinds of things that don't necessarily involve driving a big rig.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:19 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9
Does holding a CDL automatically mean only driving a big 18 wheeler tractor trailer and that nonsense?

Put another way, are there other jobs that require a CDL, but involve shorter runs driving a van or somesuch? I've not looked into this but I'd think drug free good driving record responsible individuals would be in demand for all kinds of things that don't necessarily involve driving a big rig.
a semi driver has a cdl class A with air endorsement. Hauling different cargo such as fuel requires more endorsements and background check. Different cdl classes are for different types of vehicles. A class a driver can do b and c class vehicles but not the reverse. Hope this answers your question.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:32 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9

Having a Class A allows you to drive lesser vehicles, too. Such as a straight truck, like what is used for local deliveries. Or a single dump truck. There are a lot of local jobs that a Class A is more than enough, but does qualify one to work that job.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:50 PM
MJMETHOW
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

Retired Teamster Class A CDL. A CDL opens more doors for you. Haven't driven for a few years,but a lot cheaper to keep it than to get it again.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:33 PM
Tomc750
Tuned
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Tennessee Class A CDL. I no longer have to take a physical as I self certify that I do not drive commercially. I kept the CDL as I have a personal tractor trailer as well as an RV. I carry the documentation and letter stating I am good till 2020. Then I will be 80 and may not need a CDL. At present I feel as capable as ever. As for other drivers on the road... That is another story.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:30 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Having a Class A allows you to drive lesser vehicles, too. Such as a straight truck, like what is used for local deliveries. Or a single dump truck. There are a lot of local jobs that a Class A is more than enough, but does qualify one to work that job.
Right, I was wondering if there is any demand for CDL holders other than big rig cross country drivers.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:57 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
it all depends on credentials you have and the hours your willing to work. The gov has a max 60 hr week
lots of work

Old 03-23-2018, 09:13 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bigredtruckmi
it all depends on credentials you have and the hours your willing to work. The gov has a max 60 hr week
lots of work
Yessir, I understand the gubbmint has screwed everything up. And drivers have never been paid for the hours waiting to pick up a load, a buddy of mine drove a big rig for a while and it didn't make any sense to me. I think he quit, I dunno. It's definitely not for everyone.

But I wondered if a commercial endorsement might prove useful for maybe HAZMAT or other important things I haven't thought of. The CDL cost money, are sort of hard to get, and dependable people should always be in demand.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:36 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Yes the test for cdl isn’t easy especially the driving portion. It has to be done in a vehicle you want to classification your going for. There is many endorsements available but at a big cost for renewal if you have several. Example I have cdl a , passenger endorsement, student endorsement which ran $95 this last 4year renewal, plus physical of $90 plus other required schools just to keep it.

good working folks are always in high demand and once you get your licensei you don’t want to let it go as rules and laws change. Costs for driving exam is costly.

yes the cdl is the first step in getting the endorsements you desire. Such as tanker, and many others

I retired from Driving school bus and the last 4years as a trainer for new drivers. Some didn’t make it.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:56 PM
Tom N OH
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
CDL class A with Doubles/Triples/Tanker/Motorcycle endorsements here. Drove over the road for 20+ years, owned my own truck & trailer for 12 of those, got into the state D.O.T. 4 years ago, drive snow plow & do highway maintenance work now.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:31 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Drisean
Somehow those rules are off, I think. See, if I had F250 with a GVWR of let's say 10,000 lbs, then I could haul a 16k trailer with my Class C DL legally, but probably not safely. If I chose the F350 DRW with 14,000 GVWR instead, then I only could haul 12k. For which, I wouldn't need such a strong car. Did the DOT think through that?
DOT is government. What do you think?

Old 03-26-2018, 07:34 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by r___r
CA CDL Class A(Doubles/Triples, Tankers, Hazmat) with Motorcycle.

Haven't driven Class A vehicles for several months, now, but still keeping CDL current.
For me, it's easier to keep the license current, for the times I may need it; rather than, discontinue CDL and then later have to go through all the written tests(Class A, Class C, and M1), again.

Since acquiring my CDL, I have been under the impression that CDL drivers are under the .4% law, even when they're driving their personal vehicles.

Rich
True in Ca. plus the double points. Try to do the right thing and get penalized for it.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:07 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mike and Rich,
You are only subject to the commercial laws, such as .04% alcohol WHEN driving a commercial vehicle. It doesn't apply in your home vehicles.
Sections 1.3.2 and 1.3.8, CA cdl manual.

Quick Reply: What's your driver's license?