What's your driver's license?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 11:34 AM
srosa
Junior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by r2millers
IN CA, you need a cdl or non cdl, class A license to pull any bumper pull trailer over 10,000 gvwr or a 5th wheel over 15,000 lbs.

The double points issue only applies to cdl drivers when in their big rigs. Just like the alcohol limit. A cdl operator must driver their commercial rig under .4% but it's .8% like everyone else when not driving a commercial vehicle.

As far as taking the class A, non cdl testing, it doesn't apply to air brakes. You must take a 20 item written test to get your permit.

Once you're ready to take the driving portion, you need to have a class A "instructor" with you. In my case they verified my instructors A license.

You then have a 52 item walk through checklist of safety issues, then a skills test, backing up 100' staying within a 12' corridor, turning into a dock, and then turning right around a cone, being within 4" without touching.

Once that's completed, you then take the driving portion of the test. It's really not that difficult if you've been towing for a while.

Lastly, there's more and more conversation about limiting drivers and the 26,000 lb issue. In CA, rv's are exempt from this weight requirement as it only applies to commercial vehicles.
Well stated. I'll point out that I was not required to have anyone else present beyond the CA DMV person for any portion of the testing for my non commercial class A permit. There were no questions about the test fifth wheel's GVWR or how I arrived with it without proper certifications. For what it's worth, I learned a lot from the process and I'm glad that the requirement is there for non commercial but heavy towing.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:54 PM
Traildust
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Nevada - AN Endorsement J required on any trailer with a GVWR of 10K or more. Must take a written and road test to get the endorsement. You will have to have someone with the J endorsement take you down for the road test. Luckily for me my neighbor had the endorsement. My problem was that my local DMV did not give the road test and I had to tow my 5th. wheel 68 miles to Carson City to get it done and then the DMV guy was over an hour late to start the test and he never even ask about why my neighbor was with me. I would have thought he would have verified his license. If your combined weight exceeds 26K you will need a Class A.
Bill

Old 08-13-2017, 08:18 AM
Drisean
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
@Traildust, that's about what I'm afraid of, lol. We have somebody we could talk into it, but then have to wait for hours to get the test done... and, btw, the local DMV parking lot is NOT trailer friendly. I witnessed a semi trying to get in, and then he'd park right in the middle because of lack of space.

Once that's completed, you then take the driving portion of the test. It's really not that difficult if you've been towing for a while.
I like this one. What if that's your first fifth wheel? And have not towed much more than a small trailer or a smaller horse trailer once in a while?

We have made up our minds, we'll stay under the 26,000# for the time being. It's a bit ridiculous as it forces us to a F350 CC LB SWR and the fifth wheel small enough to not exceed any weight restrictions. But that way we can gain experience, and upgrade maybe later. Should work out, we hope.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:29 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,104 Likes on 1,792 Posts
Originally Posted by Drisean
@Traildust, that's about what I'm afraid of, lol. We have somebody we could talk into it, but then have to wait for hours to get the test done... and, btw, the local DMV parking lot is NOT trailer friendly. I witnessed a semi trying to get in, and then he'd park right in the middle because of lack of space.

I like this one. What if that's your first fifth wheel? And have not towed much more than a small trailer or a smaller horse trailer once in a while?

We have made up our minds, we'll stay under the 26,000# for the time being. It's a bit ridiculous as it forces us to a F350 CC LB SWR and the fifth wheel small enough to not exceed any weight restrictions. But that way we can gain experience, and upgrade maybe later. Should work out, we hope.
Nothing will replace time behind the wheel pulling any trailer but other than a different pivot point and a little more weight "I" feel there is nothing to it.
I have pulled different trailers from small pop ups you can move by had to 35+ft 2 car trailers all pulled by different cars & trucks.

My job the last 3 years (when I got my lic.) is driving a big rig - 18 wheels and could use any different tractor to pull many different size trailers from long tankers (hot asphalt/LP/bulk cement)to short dump trailers all local - read in towns & construction sites.
Each one turns & backs a little different just go slow till you get use to it is all.
Dave ----

Old 08-13-2017, 10:11 PM
r___r
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CA CDL Class A(Doubles/Triples, Tankers, Hazmat) with Motorcycle.

Haven't driven Class A vehicles for several months, now, but still keeping CDL current.
For me, it's easier to keep the license current, for the times I may need it; rather than, discontinue CDL and then later have to go through all the written tests(Class A, Class C, and M1), again.

Originally Posted by r2millers
Just like the alcohol limit. A cdl operator must driver their commercial rig under .4% but it's .8% like everyone else when not driving a commercial vehicle.
Since acquiring my CDL, I have been under the impression that CDL drivers are under the .4% law, even when they're driving their personal vehicles.

Rich

Old 08-15-2017, 07:35 AM
finn
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Michigan CDL, class A

Old 03-14-2018, 04:59 PM
99whiteford
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Class B,with passenger /school bus/motorcycle

Old 03-14-2018, 07:12 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had to get a Class A two year ago when I got a contract to do performance testing on midrange trucks (GVWR greater than 26K lbs.). I don' need it otherwise and probably won't maintain it.

Old 03-19-2018, 03:37 AM
TheLex
Elder User
Here's a screen capture of the California handbook that shows what you can tow with a class C license.

For example, my F450 has a GVW of 14k lbs. My fifth wheel has a UVW of 8895 lbs and a GVW of 10995.

Per the regs, I should be fine with a class C license because my fifth wheel is between 10k and 15k lbs, and my combined GVW of both vehicles (24,995) is under 26k lbs.

That's why I ended up with the Reflection 28bh instead of the 16.5k GVW Grand Design Momentum 328 toy hauler.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:51 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I had an Ohio Commercial license .... ( 1970 ). I could drive anything.. except a school bus or 3 wheel motorcycle.......that's Ohio

till they made everyone change to CDL... I no longer passed the Eye test....so grandfathering was not allowed.

also have motorcycle for 49 years.

that was a painful Loss.. ( license )

Old 03-20-2018, 09:20 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
I have Michigan CDL, class A with air, passenger, student endorsements

Old 03-21-2018, 08:20 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by scraprat
Commercial class A.
Times get tough someone is always looking for an a$$ to fill the seat.
And that's why I still have my commercial class A with a tanker endorsement.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:58 PM
cay5628
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
CA CDL,"A", tanker, doubles, hazmat, passenger endorsements.
Needed it to drive fire engines, still drive water tender for contract company during fire season.

-Mark

Old 03-22-2018, 01:39 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,751 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
And that's why I still have my commercial class A with a tanker endorsement.
But you weren't just looking to fill a seat... you collected vintage fire trucks... and needed the CDL A to drive them, didn't you? Do you still have the collection?

My state permits Class C holders to tow a 5th wheel travel trailer up to 15K, as long as they take the Non Commercial Driver's test (written test only, no driver's test, no medical required). With this program, you get a RESTRICTED Class A, that still says Class C for vehicles less than or equal to 26K GVWR, but on the back of the license the restriction is spelled out... "Class A restricted to operating 5th wheel travel trailer between 10,000 and 15,000 GVWR.

Without this endorsement/restriction, the maximum GVWR of even a 5th wheel trailer would be limited to 10K. A lot of RV'rs still don't realize this, and most never get caught. The highway patrol generally leaves RV's alone, but for some reason, they like to go after the toy haulers. They have been reported to lay in wait at popular ATV recreation areas, and pop the big giant Raptor mobile garages.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:16 AM
Beast2017
Mountain Pass
ClassA non Commercial M in California tow a big 45’ 20k gvw fifth with a 17 350 srw

Quick Reply: What's your driver's license?