What's your driver's license? - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

What's your driver's license?

Old 08-11-2017, 12:34 PM
Junior User

srosa is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.srosa is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2millers View Post
IN CA, you need a cdl or non cdl, class A license to pull any bumper pull trailer over 10,000 gvwr or a 5th wheel over 15,000 lbs.

The double points issue only applies to cdl drivers when in their big rigs. Just like the alcohol limit. A cdl operator must driver their commercial rig under .4% but it's .8% like everyone else when not driving a commercial vehicle.

As far as taking the class A, non cdl testing, it doesn't apply to air brakes. You must take a 20 item written test to get your permit.

Once you're ready to take the driving portion, you need to have a class A "instructor" with you. In my case they verified my instructors A license.

You then have a 52 item walk through checklist of safety issues, then a skills test, backing up 100' staying within a 12' corridor, turning into a dock, and then turning right around a cone, being within 4" without touching.

Once that's completed, you then take the driving portion of the test. It's really not that difficult if you've been towing for a while.

Lastly, there's more and more conversation about limiting drivers and the 26,000 lb issue. In CA, rv's are exempt from this weight requirement as it only applies to commercial vehicles.
Well stated. I'll point out that I was not required to have anyone else present beyond the CA DMV person for any portion of the testing for my non commercial class A permit. There were no questions about the test fifth wheel's GVWR or how I arrived with it without proper certifications. For what it's worth, I learned a lot from the process and I'm glad that the requirement is there for non commercial but heavy towing.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:54 PM
Senior User

Traildust is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Nevada - AN Endorsement J required on any trailer with a GVWR of 10K or more. Must take a written and road test to get the endorsement. You will have to have someone with the J endorsement take you down for the road test. Luckily for me my neighbor had the endorsement. My problem was that my local DMV did not give the road test and I had to tow my 5th. wheel 68 miles to Carson City to get it done and then the DMV guy was over an hour late to start the test and he never even ask about why my neighbor was with me. I would have thought he would have verified his license. If your combined weight exceeds 26K you will need a Class A.
Bill
Old 08-13-2017, 09:18 AM
Freshman User

Drisean is starting off with a positive reputation.
@Traildust, that's about what I'm afraid of, lol. We have somebody we could talk into it, but then have to wait for hours to get the test done... and, btw, the local DMV parking lot is NOT trailer friendly. I witnessed a semi trying to get in, and then he'd park right in the middle because of lack of space.

Quote:
Once that's completed, you then take the driving portion of the test. It's really not that difficult if you've been towing for a while.
I like this one. What if that's your first fifth wheel? And have not towed much more than a small trailer or a smaller horse trailer once in a while?

We have made up our minds, we'll stay under the 26,000# for the time being. It's a bit ridiculous as it forces us to a F350 CC LB SWR and the fifth wheel small enough to not exceed any weight restrictions. But that way we can gain experience, and upgrade maybe later. Should work out, we hope.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:29 PM
Post Fiend

FuzzFace2 has a very good reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a very good reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a very good reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drisean View Post
@Traildust, that's about what I'm afraid of, lol. We have somebody we could talk into it, but then have to wait for hours to get the test done... and, btw, the local DMV parking lot is NOT trailer friendly. I witnessed a semi trying to get in, and then he'd park right in the middle because of lack of space.

I like this one. What if that's your first fifth wheel? And have not towed much more than a small trailer or a smaller horse trailer once in a while?

We have made up our minds, we'll stay under the 26,000# for the time being. It's a bit ridiculous as it forces us to a F350 CC LB SWR and the fifth wheel small enough to not exceed any weight restrictions. But that way we can gain experience, and upgrade maybe later. Should work out, we hope.
Nothing will replace time behind the wheel pulling any trailer but other than a different pivot point and a little more weight "I" feel there is nothing to it.
I have pulled different trailers from small pop ups you can move by had to 35+ft 2 car trailers all pulled by different cars & trucks.

My job the last 3 years (when I got my lic.) is driving a big rig - 18 wheels and could use any different tractor to pull many different size trailers from long tankers (hot asphalt/LP/bulk cement)to short dump trailers all local - read in towns & construction sites.
Each one turns & backs a little different just go slow till you get use to it is all.
Dave ----
Old 08-13-2017, 11:11 PM
Posting Guru

r___r has much to be proud ofr___r has much to be proud ofr___r has much to be proud ofr___r has much to be proud ofr___r has much to be proud ofr___r has much to be proud ofr___r has much to be proud ofr___r has much to be proud of
CA CDL Class A(Doubles/Triples, Tankers, Hazmat) with Motorcycle.

Haven't driven Class A vehicles for several months, now, but still keeping CDL current.
For me, it's easier to keep the license current, for the times I may need it; rather than, discontinue CDL and then later have to go through all the written tests(Class A, Class C, and M1), again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2millers View Post
Just like the alcohol limit. A cdl operator must driver their commercial rig under .4% but it's .8% like everyone else when not driving a commercial vehicle.
Since acquiring my CDL, I have been under the impression that CDL drivers are under the .4% law, even when they're driving their personal vehicles.

Rich
Old 08-15-2017, 08:35 AM
Senior User

finn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.finn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Michigan CDL, class A