6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

First road trip with the truck. What supplies to take with?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 08:00 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
First road trip with the truck. What supplies to take with?

Alright,

Getting ready to head out camping with the new truck. I think I got the coolant leak from the overflow hose fixed with a new o ring. I am doing fuel filters and oil change tomorrow. Will use Motorcraft filters and got this oil.

Any body use it? Is it the correct type? It was $19.99 /gallon at Walmart.

Also picked up a couple bottles of the red top motorcraft fuel treatment. It was $8.99 per container.

With my 7.3 I always had a spare CPS, belt, etc.

Are there anything sensor, tool, part wise that will render the 6.4 dead in the water that I should carry? I carry a pretty well stock of tools, jack, shop towels, spare oil for all difs , tranny and transfercase.

But any suggestions are welcome.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:48 PM
Picton
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406
Alright,

Getting ready to head out camping with the new truck. I think I got the coolant leak from the overflow hose fixed with a new o ring. I am doing fuel filters and oil change tomorrow. Will use Motorcraft filters and got this oil.

Any body use it? Is it the correct type? It was $19.99 /gallon at Walmart.

Also picked up a couple bottles of the red top motorcraft fuel treatment. It was $8.99 per container.

With my 7.3 I always had a spare CPS, belt, etc.

Are there anything sensor, tool, part wise that will render the 6.4 dead in the water that I should carry? I carry a pretty well stock of tools, jack, shop towels, spare oil for all difs , tranny and transfercase.

But any suggestions are welcome.
The oil looks good (CJ-4). As I understand it...don't switch back and forth between synthetic and conventional though...maybe that's not right? Interestingly Ford(International/Navistar) isn't on the back of the bottle...but being CJ-4 you should be fine.

You look pretty set to me man. If the 6.4 is going to take a real dump...you can't pack enough stuff to fix it...unless you could fit a Ford dealer repair shop in your tool box. Good luck man and have fun.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:08 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Picton
The oil looks good (CJ-4). As I understand it...don't switch back and forth between synthetic and conventional though...maybe that's not right? Interestingly Ford(International/Navistar) isn't on the back of the bottle...but being CJ-4 you should be fine.

I THOUGHT THE SAME THING, BUT I HAVENT FOUND ONE YET THAT DOES SAY INTERNATIONAL OR NAVISTAR.

You look pretty set to me man. If the 6.4 is going to take a real dump...you can't pack enough stuff to fix it...unless you could fit a Ford dealer repair shop in your tool box.

THANKS

Good luck man and have fun.

I hope all goes well then.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:25 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Spares of anything will be a waste because you have to have your whole garage to just change a belt.

Do your homework with known wear items before you light it off and hope just like anything else you would take. Doesn't matter if it's a pinto. Stuff breaks or runs.

If you feel like it's up to snuff, don't drive down the road and ruin your vaca worrying about a failure. If you are, trade it in right now. Everything takes a crap whatever badge it wears.

What I would pack is great towing insurance. (AARP has a 200 mile with a fifth wheel no charge)(yes 200 miles) costs about a hundo a year.

Other than that, a credit card so I could spend my vaca sipping drinks by a pool somewhere while the tow operator does his job, and just deal with it after the memories are made.

Have fun, lifes short. Just check your fluids/ice at each stop and roll.

Denny

Old 07-28-2017, 02:28 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
By the way, where are you coming from and going to.

We have alot of friends in both forums that are ready and willing to respond depending on your route.

Denny

Old 07-28-2017, 04:45 PM
Picton
Senior User
I hope all goes well then.
Lol...sorry man. Didn't try to be the bringer of doom and gloom...not the intention.

Have fun on your trip.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:45 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Not stressing about breaking down just didn't know if there were common failure items/sensors. I normally pack tools just in case for camper needs as well.

I am coming from Mishawaka IN headed up to Manistee, Michigan.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:47 PM
Picton
Senior User
Not stressing about breaking down just didn't know if there were common failure items/sensors. I normally pack tools just in case for camper needs as well.

I am coming from Mishawaka IN headed up to Manistee, Michigan.
Good point. I had a drive shaft sensor fail. Basically the truck can't tell how fast the shaft is spinning...so...it throws the truck into limp mode(3rd gear only)...can possibly throw the wrench light. So...if anything...pack extra underwear...because you'd be filling them with the saddest kind of oatmeal.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:39 AM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The item that can strand you is a temperature sensor and the dpf Back Presure Sensor - though not a concern if your tuck is setup for off road racing.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:42 AM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With DPF/DOC delete, the only thing I would carry is windshield washer fluid.

In my glove box I keep a half dozen bumper stickers "god bless our troops, especially our snipers" and I give one to anyone who inquires as to where they can get one.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:11 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Copper.Farm
The item that can strand you is a temperature sensor and the dpf Back Presure Sensor - though not a concern if your tuck is setup for off road racing.

good info. Thank you again.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:13 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 989 Likes on 761 Posts
extra # temp sensor

some rislone oil additive, the ring sealer stop type.....this is in case you check you oil and now its been diluted with regen fuel. drain a qt, add the rislone to thicken back up.

some lucas dpf clean...in case your dpf is clogged and wont go out of regen

some extra 50/50 coolant ....in case one of you cooling system hoses pops off

some extra oil...sometimes the turbos suck too muc oil thru the case vent at the oil fill cap and you could run low on oil

some gear oil...in case you hear grinding noises in the rear and front if 4wd....sometimes for what ever reason..the gear oil is either low..or contaminated with 4 wheeling water

some transfer case fluid for the same reason

extra power steering fluid in case your steering box leaks

one of those basketball looking pumps that are intended to drain oil from the dip stick, but I use mine to suck water gel out of the water seprator. I also have a 1foot tube on the seperator drain so I can actually draiin the seperator into a jar

some grease and an allen kit....if 4wd..so you can lube the hud selector..in case you put it in 4wd and it made grinding noises

a wrench for the auto hub hose fitting...a mini grase gun...some red grease...in case you hear roaring noises from front end...shoot some grease in the hole where the hub vacume fitting is. about 3oz will quiet the hubs down. some folks will tell you the ABS hole is a better place to skirt the grease and they re right...but you have to pull the rotors off to do that and you dont want to make a major project out of this while you are on the road.

bring a piece of 2x4 and a hammer in case your not going to listen to me and decide you want to pull the rotors.

some heavy guage jumper cables

a 150psi air pump

some tools

make sure your spare goes down...some have a lock...see the dont have lock key thread

some extra transmission fluid

did i say extra 50/50 coolant...yeah that

magazines for the wife to read while your fixinig your truck

put a 15 dollar 16psi fuel pump on the gegas bottle and run the 1/8th inch line into the cab....tye rap it to any thing that you can see while you drive. if the PSI drops to zero...you either have a coolant hose leak, a water pump cavitation issue, a leaking egr, or a oil cooler that is getting contaminated with coolant.

sigh up for AAA

call your insurance and see if they have a road side assistance plan

extra charge equipment for your cell phone

make sure you have your jack kit

your going to carry extra fuel filters...thats good

some fuel lube additive like opti lube...you would not want your HPFP to crap out on your trip

make sure you batteries are good

some extra power steeringfluid...I said that...

you have a 6.4, so if you never done it...charge the AC...there is a freon/lube/sealer kit that work well and has all the tools

some different size bungy cords. these come in handy. my 6.4 started to shake one time and I pulled over. there was play im my track bar be cause it fell onto the big washer at the bolt. but if I lifted it up back to were its supposed to there was no play. so I wrapped a bungy cord between the track bat and the steering stabilizer bar and put some oil on the bungy where it contacted the bars. the track bar lifted and there was no play. I drove it for 1000 miles until I could replace the trach bar end bar.

if you dont have a coolant filter and were thinking about it..get one...

did i say a 150psi air pump...yeah that

extra keys..give your wife a set...you keep the other

road side kit....flashing triangle , first aid kit, tire plug kit, etc

magaiznes for your wife to read while you fix the truck...I said that...but dont forget it...shes going to get bored.

bring a print of of the 6.4l diagnostic codes....some times the truck will wrench in the middle of nowhere and you wont have internet

bring a code scanner that can clear the error codes....sometimes you can drive it , if you can clear the codes....had my findger on my scanner red button (clear codes) for 100 miles once clearing codes as I drive so I could get to a service station.

type wraps

100 mph tape

use the mini grase gun to grease your ball joints, universal joints if 4wd

make sure you bring a jack

enough cash for a tow truck...some tow tow trucks dont like credit cards

extra money for for hotels in case your truck goes into the shop.

have a great trip...you'll be fine...cell phone...AAA card...extra cash...at the min

Old 07-29-2017, 07:38 PM
Picton
Senior User
Good heavens fritz...Lol.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:03 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. Fritz, an excellent list. Have a lot of it but missing a few. Will have to check it out.

The cheap air pump for seeing the coolant. I have a sct live wire tuner that displays sensor readings. Is there a setting for coolant pressure?

If not can tou you elaborate on the air pump idea.

Also how close degree wise should the engine oil temp and coolant temp be while towing.

Old 07-30-2017, 03:49 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 989 Likes on 761 Posts

There a few 16psi fuel gauges out there. This one is less than 20 bucks. This and a 1/8th line hose kit and you can add a brass t remitting to your degas bottle feed from the radiator and monitor coolant pressure. The pressure cap is 16psi and so is this gauge. The pressure numbers will vary but the concern number is when it drops to 0. Happen to me when one of my coolant hoses pop off the clips. Loss 3 gallons almost instantly and mean while my engine temp guage showed normal.

Mr. Gasket Fuel Pressure Gauge

Quick Reply: First road trip with the truck. What supplies to take with?