I think the new Ranger will be EB only - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2019 Ranger Discussion for the upcoming 2019 Ford Ranger!

I think the new Ranger will be EB only

Old 07-26-2017, 05:40 PM
Posting Guru

92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future
I think the new Ranger will be EB only

Just want to get it out there now so I can look back and judge myself right or wrong after it's announced.

I'll bet the new Ranger and the Bronco will have one engine option, just as the larger Navigator/Expedition only have one option.

In this case, it will be the 2.7 EB.

Any thoughts? I could be wrong, I could be a total idiot. This is just speculation.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:15 PM
Postmaster

rollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud of
I'd be down with a Bronco rockin the 2.7 as long as they don't detune it
Old 07-26-2017, 08:14 PM
Elder User

Christian's1988Ford has a good reputation on FTE.Christian's1988Ford has a good reputation on FTE.Christian's1988Ford has a good reputation on FTE.
I think the V6 is already becoming passť for Ford; routine power updates to their engines has resulted in bigger engines being phased out for smaller ones in vehicles that need power, like pickups. The F150's Ecoboosts are already too powerful for the Ranger, and if put in the Ranger, would only give the Ranger a size benefit over the F150.

Fuel efficiency will probably be a HUGE selling point for the Ranger. Since the F150 isn't especially known (or even particularly bought for) MPG numbers, a smaller, more fuel-conservative truck won't take sales away from the F150 as much.

I will take a shot and guess that it will use the base 3.5 N/A, a 2.3 EB geared as a truck engine, and maybe the 3.3 diesel for true towing (or fleets that exclusively use diesel for semis and bigger trucks).

We might see a High Output 2.7 EB in the Ranger Raptor, whether or not it's actually sold in the US.

I doubt that the Ranger will be a one-engine truck. There are so many markets Ford could attack and thrive in if the Ranger just used different engines already found in other Ford vehicles. The Bronco could be a different story, unless they have an extreme offroad version vs a day-to-day commuter, like the standard F150 vs the Raptor. I don't see much reason for various engines in a small SUV that serves one or two purposes to the general public--street cruising and light off-roading.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:07 PM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
I think the base engine will be the 3.3L V-6 that's coming in the F-150.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:43 AM
Senior User

ssls6 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would love the 2.7eco in the range but I think the 2.3L I4 eco is more likely. I hope the ranger is a steel body truck but time will tell.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:46 AM
Elder User

Christian's1988Ford has a good reputation on FTE.Christian's1988Ford has a good reputation on FTE.Christian's1988Ford has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tseekins View Post
I think the base engine will be the 3.3L V-6 that's coming in the F-150.
Sorry, I meant 3.3 instead of 3.5. Somehow I thought we were going from 3.7 to 3.5--or did we already for 2017?
Old 07-30-2017, 08:23 AM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian's1988Ford View Post
Sorry, I meant 3.3 instead of 3.5. Somehow I thought we were going from 3.7 to 3.5--or did we already for 2017?
I think the 3.3L debuts in 2018.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:47 AM
Senior User

Scorpion67 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well the most likely engines that will be considered are the 3.3L V6, 2.3EB, 2.7EB, 2.0 diesel (210/330) and 3.0 V6 diesel (270/440).

I think one of those diesels and one of those gassers won't make it. But which ones? I don't know.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:14 PM
Postmaster

YoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud of
The base engine in the Colorado is a normally aspirated 2.5 liter four with ~200 hp. Available only in 2WD base models I think.

I'm guessing we may see a smaller engine like the 2.0EB as the base engine in the Ranger--still a lot more power than the base Colorado engine (245 hp) and more torque than Ford's 3.5 normally aspirated V6 (and the new 3.3). Probably too similar to the 3.3 V6 to offer both, but who knows? Much may depend on production capacity, gas mileage fleet averages, and actual engine cost. The 2.0EB twin scroll is offered in the Everest and mid sized Tourneo van in other markets as well as the Edge/Escape/MKC in the US.

And for a high power option, the 2.7EB makes a lot of sense. Way more torque than the 3.6 V6 in the Colorado.

George
Old 08-09-2017, 08:24 AM
Posting Guru

Gicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to behold
I was told by multiple engineers I worked with at Ford that there would be a single engine offering when it was released. Only one of them told me what it would be at that was the 2.3 ecoboost.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:29 AM
Senior User

ssls6 is starting off with a positive reputation.
That's a shame then.

I would pick a NA V6 over the 2.3L eco but would pick the 2.7L eco over both. The 2.3L eco is an all aluminum engine pushing 310HP in the mustang. That is a higher power density than the 2.7L eco and a higher density than the HO 3.5L raptor.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:10 AM
Postmaster

YoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud of
Offering only one engine sounds a bit strange based on Ford's usual practice but the 2.3 EB does have the power. It is also used in the Explorer, which is pretty heavy.

The 3.5 EB is also all aluminum (no graphited iron block like in the 2.7) so that doesn't seem to be much of a disadvantage...Ford is pulling 450 hp out of the 2nd generation 3.5 in the Raptor and the new Navigator....and 647 hp in the Ford GT.

George
Old 08-12-2017, 05:25 AM

Expedition sales tanked over the years with only one engine offering, 5.4L V-8. And since Ford didn't learn squat from that, they're back to just one engine again, 3.5L Eco. These trucks still ain't flying off the shelves.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:41 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tseekins View Post
Expedition sales tanked over the years with only one engine offering, 5.4L V-8. And since Ford didn't learn squat from that, they're back to just one engine again, 3.5L Eco. These trucks still ain't flying off the shelves.
Well, Tim, in 2016 the GM Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban sold 250k in the US with pretty much one engine, the 5.3 (exception is the 6.2 in the Yukon Denali) compared to 60k sales for the Expy. But Expy sales were up a LOT, probably due to cheap gasoline.

I really don't think the engine is the reason. Do you think customers would have wanted a smaller engine in the pre-2015 Expy? Or maybe the 6.2? I suppose a V8 offering in 2015 and later would have sold a few more, but not that many. It may be the $60k price for basically a 1997 chassis, and a big part of it is simply "fashion"...the GM offerings seem to have the "look" and snob appeal in the affluent areas around me. Rich moms drive their kids to school in big GM SUV's and I have to say that I like the looks myself. The US government uses big GM for their Secret Service cars and that may give them some subliminal advertising.

I do agree that the Ranger will need more than one engine for the different price points it should hit, and the different usage that people will buy it for. Guessing the engine offerings will expand as sales sort themselves out. I sure hope Ford does well with it. Ford is pushing the EB engine hard, just like it pushed overhead cams in the late 90's and through the 2000's....even when engines did NOT need them. (The Mod Motors for the most part were long stroke, slow revving motors in truck applications....)

US sales 2016 Large SUV segment - carsalesbase.com
Old 08-12-2017, 02:43 PM
Posting Guru

JKBrad has a great reputation on FTE.JKBrad has a great reputation on FTE.JKBrad has a great reputation on FTE.JKBrad has a great reputation on FTE.JKBrad has a great reputation on FTE.
Expedition sales are low because they still look like warmed over 2003 models. Hell, the basic body and doors are still based off the '97 model. One engine is a problem as most suburban users would be much better off with a 5.0.V8.

As far as the Ranger, there will probably be one engine at first. Then more options after initial roll out. A 2.7 would be great, even detuned. Ford is probably concerned that it would eat into F150 sales. A 2.7 EB would blow the Tacoma and the GM twins out of the water though.

My guess is 3.3 NA V6, 2.3 EB and maybe, the 2.7 EB. I seriously doubt the 3.0 diesel would find it's way into the Ranger.

Only GM has a diesel right now. Nissan has a rumored 2.8 4 cylinder Cummins in the works. Is Toyota serious about trucks anymore? They are about to loose their lead in the US small pickup segment when the Ranger comes on line.