Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Talking turbo temps whilst towing truck camper

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 12:09 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In addition to the advice and experience that the others have provided, I'll add this information.

I have towed heavy with the stock turbo (ST) w stock injectors, ST w 160/0's, ST w 160/30's, KC38R w 160/30's, and KC38R w 175/80's all on a stock intercooler and w/o H20 injection: not knocking it, I simply have no personal experience with it. 0% and 30% nozzles are overprescribed and overrated. The addition of 80% nozzles has singularly contributed to the largest decrease in EGT's of any upgrade so far due to the shorter FIPW that is available with the larger nozzle. P.I.S. can add 80% nozzles for less than $600 or you could DIY with the tools for a bit less.

Gearhead has/had the best "commercially" available tuning.

Having stated that, I am MUCH happier with the results of my current tune writer: better starts, cleaner/smoother/quieter idle especially when cold, cleaner burn/less black smoke/lower EGT's, more linear throttle, smoother shifts, and small MPG improvement, all on his first attempt...I'm waiting on those to become commercially available before I tune my second truck.

I agree with Andy on the boost leak issue unless the frontal area of your camper is huge or you have some of Gearhead's most recent tunes.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:04 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by jhl3
Having stated that, I am MUCH happier with the results of my current tune writer: better starts, cleaner/smoother/quieter idle especially when cold, cleaner burn/less black smoke/lower EGT's, more linear throttle, smoother shifts, and small MPG improvement, all on his first attempt...I'm waiting on those to become commercially available before I tune my second truck.
There is a long list of folks waiting for those tunes to become available. Glad to hear the results are encouraging so far.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:36 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by andym
Jason have you checked for boost leaks? Those temps seem a little high. I don't think your truck should run hot at all with what you had on it.

Are your up-pipes in good shape?
I haven't checked since I put the van turbo on, but I can build over 30 psi so I am pretty sure that I don't have any leaks.

I have always thought my truck has run a little hot. I have even had Matt adjust the tuning to compensate but it hasn't helped.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:44 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by jhl3
I have towed heavy with the stock turbo (ST) w stock injectors, ST w 160/0's, ST w 160/30's, KC38R w 160/30's, and KC38R w 175/80's all on a stock intercooler and w/o H20 injection: not knocking it, I simply have no personal experience with it. 0% and 30% nozzles are overprescribed and overrated. The addition of 80% nozzles has singularly contributed to the largest decrease in EGT's of any upgrade so far due to the shorter FIPW that is available with the larger nozzle. P.I.S. can add 80% nozzles for less than $600 or you could DIY with the tools for a bit less.

Gearhead has/had the best "commercially" available tuning.

I agree with Andy on the boost leak issue unless the frontal area of your camper is huge or you have some of Gearhead's most recent tunes.
After a lot of research in the past I would agree that the 30% nozzles are overrated they were suggested to my my Matt and the injector builder. I may try different nozzles some day.

I did not know that Cody was tuning for people now. I thought it was only for special people like Rich "Tugly". I would love to try his tunes.

Also this is a Truck bed camper not a trailer. So it sits up in the air about 10'. I am sure it catches a lot of air. As far as power is concerned I cannot tell it is back there. I am able to pass whenever I as long as I drop out of overdrive to keep temps down. However I will be pulling a boat at times that weighs at least 5k so we will see what it does when I hook that up. I am not concerned that it cannot handle it, i just may have to slow down to keep the EGT gauge happy.

If $$ wasn't a factor I would do 80% nozzles, larger inter cooler and water injection.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:32 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The boat might sit lower, & probably much more aerodynamic than your camper. Anytime I tow weather tt or 5er it doesn't really matter, you are pulling a wall behind you & the wind resistance at 70 mph is rough especially with a headwind. No matter what I do I always get between 9.5 & 11 mpg depending on head /tail winds & my foot. Try to keep your speed at 68 mph, this is the sweetspot for my truck, anyway, pulling the 5th wheel & the truck (egt wise) is happy there. And don't worry about 1000 to 1100 egt temp at all