Transmission Oil Lines After Filter Not Pushing Oil, is this normal? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > 1968-2013 Full Size Vans
Reload this Page >

Transmission Oil Lines After Filter Not Pushing Oil, is this normal?

Notices
1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Transmission Oil Lines After Filter Not Pushing Oil, is this normal?

 
  #1  
Old 07-25-2017, 10:28 AM
drwecki
drwecki is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 46
drwecki is starting off with a positive reputation.
Transmission Oil Lines After Filter Not Pushing Oil, is this normal?

Hi All,

I'm struggling with the addition of an aftermarket oil filter and oil cooler and I noticed something today that has me worried.


I overfilled the transmission by a little and I tired to remove the excess oil by removing the line that goes from the filter into the cooler (removed at the cooler) . The oil barely trickled out of the hose. Then I removed the line before the filter and oil flew out of this hose.

Questions
#1) Do oil filters dramatically reduce the flow of transmission oil? (i.e. is this normal?)
#2) Is it possible that a new filter is blocked?
#3) I installed the filter upside down (domed/closed side is facing up; screw in part is facing down) because I wanted to be able to easily access the filter. Was this stupid for flow (I already know it was stupid for not making a mess when changing the filter).
 
  #2  
Old 07-26-2017, 08:54 PM
Im50fast's Avatar
Im50fast
Im50fast is offline
Nice guy!
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,956
Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by drwecki View Post
Hi All,

I'm struggling with the addition of an aftermarket oil filter and oil cooler and I noticed something today that has me worried.


I overfilled the transmission by a little and I tired to remove the excess oil by removing the line that goes from the filter into the cooler (removed at the cooler) . The oil barely trickled out of the hose. Then I removed the line before the filter and oil flew out of this hose.

Questions
#1) Do oil filters dramatically reduce the flow of transmission oil? (i.e. is this normal?)
#2) Is it possible that a new filter is blocked?
#3) I installed the filter upside down (domed/closed side is facing up; screw in part is facing down) because I wanted to be able to easily access the filter. Was this stupid for flow (I already know it was stupid for not making a mess when changing the filter).
what's the year make model?

some of the transmissions have a thermostat built in that prevents fluid flow to the lines until it hits a good temp. I bet that's your situation.
 
  #3  
Old 07-26-2017, 11:31 PM
drwecki
drwecki is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 46
drwecki is starting off with a positive reputation.
1992. E150. Cool thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by Im50fast View Post
what's the year make model?

some of the transmissions have a thermostat built in that prevents fluid flow to the lines until it hits a good temp. I bet that's your situation.
 
  #4  
Old 07-27-2017, 07:52 AM
Mark Kovalsky's Avatar
Mark Kovalsky
Mark Kovalsky is online now
Post Fiend
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: SE Florida
Posts: 17,960
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Your transmission does not have a thermostat.

Your filter has too much restriction. I don't know if that's the way it is supposed to be or if something is wrong, but if you don't correct that problem you'll need a new transmission.
 
  #5  
Old 07-27-2017, 08:03 AM
drwecki
drwecki is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 46
drwecki is starting off with a positive reputation.
Taking it in today to the best t shop in my area . Thanks. I personally think it drives kind of crappy too (and has for a while) . Probably rebuild time. I'll search the forums to prepare. I also search the bank robbing forums to figure out how to pay for it .

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
Your transmission does not have a thermostat.

Your filter has too much restriction. I don't know if that's the way it is supposed to be or if something is wrong, but if you don't correct that problem you'll need a new transmission.
 
  #6  
Old 07-27-2017, 10:00 AM
Olds64's Avatar
Olds64
Olds64 is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Edmond, OK
Posts: 1,009
Olds64 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm sure the folks at the transmission shop can get it figured out for you. Hopefully it isn't too expensive.


BTW, what aftermarket cooler and filter did you get? Usually parts from big suppliers like B&M, TCI or Summit won't do any damage as long as they are installed correctly.
 
  #7  
Old 07-27-2017, 11:17 AM
drwecki
drwecki is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 46
drwecki is starting off with a positive reputation.
B and M, the tranny was just beat to **** before me. I live in Denver so I'm guessing a ton of mountain driving. I'm actually excited because I'm going to get it built and upgraded. Tranny shop is taking it apart right now.

Originally Posted by Olds64 View Post
I'm sure the folks at the transmission shop can get it figured out for you. Hopefully it isn't too expensive.


BTW, what aftermarket cooler and filter did you get? Usually parts from big suppliers like B&M, TCI or Summit won't do any damage as long as they are installed correctly.
 
  #8  
Old 07-27-2017, 11:58 AM
Olds64's Avatar
Olds64
Olds64 is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Edmond, OK
Posts: 1,009
Olds64 is starting off with a positive reputation.
You'll be happy with their work I'm sure. My dad owned a Crown Vic with an AOD that had to be rebuilt. It was sort of a dog but was a comfortable car. Once the AOD was rebuilt it gave us many more years of service.
 
  #9  
Old 07-27-2017, 07:22 PM
Im50fast's Avatar
Im50fast
Im50fast is offline
Nice guy!
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,956
Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by drwecki View Post
I also search the bank robbing forums to figure out how to pay for it .
This made me LOL for real.
Good times
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
caedo
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
7
01-07-2015 12:50 PM
FireFighter12105
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
10
07-13-2014 03:30 PM
deereford20
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
14
12-12-2008 04:35 PM
Wheatina
Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
2
07-05-2007 05:47 PM
buckwheat
General Diesel Discussion
6
07-23-2006 11:10 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Oil Lines After Filter Not Pushing Oil, is this normal?


Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.