Transmission Oil Lines After Filter Not Pushing Oil, is this normal? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > 1968-2013 Full Size Vans
Reload this Page >

Transmission Oil Lines After Filter Not Pushing Oil, is this normal?

Notices
1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Old 07-25-2017, 10:28 AM
drwecki
Freshman User
drwecki is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hi All,

I'm struggling with the addition of an aftermarket oil filter and oil cooler and I noticed something today that has me worried.

I overfilled the transmission by a little and I tired to remove the excess oil by removing the line that goes from the filter into the cooler (removed at the cooler) . The oil barely trickled out of the hose. Then I removed the line before the filter and oil flew out of this hose.

Questions
#1) Do oil filters dramatically reduce the flow of transmission oil? (i.e. is this normal?)
#2) Is it possible that a new filter is blocked?
#3) I installed the filter upside down (domed/closed side is facing up; screw in part is facing down) because I wanted to be able to easily access the filter. Was this stupid for flow (I already know it was stupid for not making a mess when changing the filter).

Old 07-26-2017, 08:54 PM
Im50fast
Nice guy!
Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by drwecki View Post
Hi All,

I'm struggling with the addition of an aftermarket oil filter and oil cooler and I noticed something today that has me worried.

I overfilled the transmission by a little and I tired to remove the excess oil by removing the line that goes from the filter into the cooler (removed at the cooler) . The oil barely trickled out of the hose. Then I removed the line before the filter and oil flew out of this hose.

Questions
#1) Do oil filters dramatically reduce the flow of transmission oil? (i.e. is this normal?)
#2) Is it possible that a new filter is blocked?
#3) I installed the filter upside down (domed/closed side is facing up; screw in part is facing down) because I wanted to be able to easily access the filter. Was this stupid for flow (I already know it was stupid for not making a mess when changing the filter).
what's the year make model?

some of the transmissions have a thermostat built in that prevents fluid flow to the lines until it hits a good temp. I bet that's your situation.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:31 PM
drwecki
Freshman User
1992. E150. Cool thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by Im50fast View Post
what's the year make model?

some of the transmissions have a thermostat built in that prevents fluid flow to the lines until it hits a good temp. I bet that's your situation.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:52 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Your transmission does not have a thermostat.

Your filter has too much restriction. I don't know if that's the way it is supposed to be or if something is wrong, but if you don't correct that problem you'll need a new transmission.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:03 AM
drwecki
Freshman User
Taking it in today to the best t shop in my area . Thanks. I personally think it drives kind of crappy too (and has for a while) . Probably rebuild time. I'll search the forums to prepare. I also search the bank robbing forums to figure out how to pay for it .

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
Your transmission does not have a thermostat.

Your filter has too much restriction. I don't know if that's the way it is supposed to be or if something is wrong, but if you don't correct that problem you'll need a new transmission.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:00 AM
Olds64
Posting Guru
Olds64 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm sure the folks at the transmission shop can get it figured out for you. Hopefully it isn't too expensive.

BTW, what aftermarket cooler and filter did you get? Usually parts from big suppliers like B&M, TCI or Summit won't do any damage as long as they are installed correctly.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:17 AM
drwecki
Freshman User
B and M, the tranny was just beat to **** before me. I live in Denver so I'm guessing a ton of mountain driving. I'm actually excited because I'm going to get it built and upgraded. Tranny shop is taking it apart right now.

Originally Posted by Olds64 View Post
I'm sure the folks at the transmission shop can get it figured out for you. Hopefully it isn't too expensive.

BTW, what aftermarket cooler and filter did you get? Usually parts from big suppliers like B&M, TCI or Summit won't do any damage as long as they are installed correctly.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:58 AM
Olds64
Posting Guru
Olds64 is starting off with a positive reputation.
You'll be happy with their work I'm sure. My dad owned a Crown Vic with an AOD that had to be rebuilt. It was sort of a dog but was a comfortable car. Once the AOD was rebuilt it gave us many more years of service.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:22 PM
Im50fast
Nice guy!
Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by drwecki View Post
I also search the bank robbing forums to figure out how to pay for it .
This made me LOL for real.
Good times