1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Please Help 72 f250 390 rare start/no run issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 06:15 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by matthewq4b
If it's getting spark and Starting fluid wont make it kick and the timing is correct. Only 3 options left, the distributor is 180 degrees out, the valve timing is off (timing chain jumped) or low or no compression low compression is unlikely as engines will start with compression as low as 30 or 40 PSI
Originally Posted by Tedster9
Good point. Check for correct distributor installation rotor lined with #1 distributor cap terminal with #1 piston at TDC compression stroke. Also check wires are connected in firing order.
Late to the party here. 2X on the firing order on the wires wrong or timing chain jumped. Double check that you have the correct wires going to the correct cylinders in order. 360/390 is:

If the wires are in the correct order then put that breaker bar back on the crank bolt. Move the crank back and forth noting how long it takes to get the Dizzy rotor to move. Excessive crank rotation before the rotor moves indicates the chain and gears loose as a goose. And prolly your problem.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:50 PM
PaxtonQ
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
started!

Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
Late to the party here. 2X on the firing order on the wires wrong or timing chain jumped. Double check that you have the correct wires going to the correct cylinders in order. 360/390 is:

If the wires are in the correct order then put that breaker bar back on the crank bolt. Move the crank back and forth noting how long it takes to get the Dizzy rotor to move. Excessive crank rotation before the rotor moves indicates the chain and gears loose as a goose. And prolly your problem.
truck is starting first turn of the key after I replaced the alternator, starter solenoid, and cleaned up a couple grounds... I have not tried driving it yet but the idol is randomly holding at 2000 rpm and then goes to 500-600 then back again at random lengths of time I'm thinking possibly something with the choke it's the factory 2 barrel motorcraft 2100 I believe is the number I'm not quite sure what to look for here

Old 07-25-2017, 08:27 PM
PaxtonQ
Freshman User
Well...

Originally Posted by PaxtonQ
truck is starting first turn of the key after I replaced the alternator, starter solenoid, and cleaned up a couple grounds... I have not tried driving it yet but the idol is randomly holding at 2000 rpm and then goes to 500-600 then back again at random lengths of time I'm thinking possibly something with the choke it's the factory 2 barrel motorcraft 2100 I believe is the number I'm not quite sure what to look for here
just went out to start up the truck it crank at normal speed fired up for a sec then died without idol-ing at all now when I crank it nothing spins but I can here a very loud buzzing maybe the starter motor?

Old 07-25-2017, 10:05 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
That's progress!! These beasts can be a little ornery after a long slumber. Take it easy on the starter (and battery.. and solenoid) for a while till things get sorted out. Normally, an FTE maintained engine lights off with just a flick of a key, natch. This is how they are designed. So a mistuned engine, that won't start or start very easily, will really put the starter and other components through the wringer. Keep the battery on a charger overnight, let the starter cool down several minutes between start attempts.

The 2100 is an easy carburetor to work on. If it hasn't been opened up in say the last five years, it would be a good idea to put a kit in it. Clean it out, use new gaskets and set it up and it will purr. edit: I see you've rebuilt carb. Check that fuel height in the bowl is correct, and idle mixture screws are adjusted and tuned.

The buzzing sounds might be the Bendix. Is starter just spinning free or is it locked? Maybe check flywheel teeth for damage too.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:43 AM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The idle up and down is the carb. Sounds like it needs a soaking and a rebuild.
I believe the buzzing g is the solenoid, result of a low battery.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:58 AM
PaxtonQ
Freshman User
Originally Posted by TeachNlive4ever
The idle up and down is the carb. Sounds like it needs a soaking and a rebuild.
I believe the buzzing g is the solenoid, result of a low battery.

the buzzing has me confused because it goes from full speed cranking to a dead stop and buzzing instantly it's either one or the other no slow crank just all or nothing and the carb was just rebuilt by me last week maybe the carb is just bad

Old 07-26-2017, 07:58 AM
PaxtonQ
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Tedster9
That's progress!! These beasts can be a little ornery after a long slumber. Take it easy on the starter (and battery.. and solenoid) for a while till things get sorted out. Normally, an FTE maintained engine lights off with just a flick of a key, natch. This is how they are designed. So a mistuned engine, that won't start or start very easily, will really put the starter and other components through the wringer. Keep the battery on a charger overnight, let the starter cool down several minutes between start attempts.

The 2100 is an easy carburetor to work on. If it hasn't been opened up in say the last five years, it would be a good idea to put a kit in it. Clean it out, use new gaskets and set it up and it will purr. edit: I see you've rebuilt carb. Check that fuel height in the bowl is correct, and idle mixture screws are adjusted and tuned.

The buzzing sounds might be the Bendix. Is starter just spinning free or is it locked? Maybe check flywheel teeth for damage too.

what is the bendix sorry for the question lol and I will check the flywheel after work today thank you sir!

Old 07-26-2017, 08:53 AM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You know when it idles down and the carb sounds like it could suck start a Harley and then goes away when it idles up? Something is not happy in the carb.

Is the buzzing noise coming from the fender or lower as in at the starter?

Old 07-26-2017, 09:00 AM
PaxtonQ
Freshman User
Originally Posted by TeachNlive4ever
You know when it idles down and the carb sounds like it could suck start a Harley and then goes away when it idles up? Something is not happy in the carb.

Is the buzzing noise coming from the fender or lower as in at the starter?
that sucking noise you are talking about from the carb sounds like what happens when I hit the gas sometimes if i slowly roll onto it it revs normally but anything more ham slow as possible it has a spot in the middle of the pedal where it sounds like it's going to die then catches back up and revs... I can't quite tell wether the buzzing noise is coming from lower or high I need to get a friend to check when I try to start it but it is from the far passenger side

Old 07-27-2017, 08:44 AM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Loose battery cables/or dirty grounds cables.
Orich

Old 07-27-2017, 12:16 PM
PaxtonQ
Freshman User
Originally Posted by orich
Orich
thank you I will check on that!

Old 07-29-2017, 06:43 PM
PaxtonQ
Freshman User
Originally Posted by orich
Orich
I double checked every cable was tight and cleaned up every ground I could find. Charging the battery right now and I will update once I get that in