1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner? 2006 Ford F250

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 08:47 PM
madd91
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuner? 2006 Ford F250

Question... I bought a 2006 F250 6.0L a couple of months ago, from a dealership. It's been bulletproofed already, has an intake, coolant filter kit. Has 95k (mileage)

Today, my fuel gauge dropped to empty from 3/4 of a tank for a couple of miles and set off the CE light. I hooked my scan tool to it, to clear the code (P0460).

After just checking other things out with the scan tool. I cleared it and went on... I had to run to the store, later on... I was pulling out of the neighborhood and the gas pedal was a lot more "touchy" and the truck, responded to it and it launched pretty good and blew a good amount of black smoke.

Do any of you think this has/or had a tuner on it and I may have activated it with my scanner?

Old 07-22-2017, 09:33 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
No, there's nothing your scanner could do to reprogram the PCM, whatever tune was there before is still there, stock or otherwise. It might could clear the KAM (keep-alive memory), which erases the transmission adaptive learning history. From an engineer with a background in this transmission:

Originally Posted by Mark K
The software measures how long the transmission takes to make each shift from when it commands the shift until it reads from the speed sensors that the shift is complete. It then adds or subtracts pressure in it's memory for the next time it does that shift.
If it was defaulting to quicker shifts at different pressures, it can really make a difference in how the truck drives. Drastically actually, which is why several tuning companies sell transmission-only tow tunes that don't alter fuel delivery at all.

Side note, black smoke is actually a bad sign on a 6.0. Either something is wrong (ie stuck VGT, EGR valve, or a hanging injector), or the PCM program fuel mapping is screwed up. Well written tunes don't blow a ton of smoke until you've moved up quite a bit in horsepower. I can't imagine you're running a 100+HP tune without knowing it.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:50 PM
madd91
Junior User
I guess, I did say it blew a lot of black smoke. It wasn't a thick dark black smoke, like some trucks can do. It was more than it has ever done...

I figured, my scanner would not have been able to do that... It's just weird, how all of a sudden, the throttle is more responsive.

The truck, had to have been for towing at some point... It has a goose neck installed, along with rear helper bags. So, I guess it could have a "tow tune" on it.

Thank you for that info... I will look into that. I appreciate it.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:03 AM
konchryboy
New User
Could it be that the programmer backed off the power because of the code and when you cleared the code it it figured all was good and went back to adding power?

Old 07-23-2017, 11:10 AM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First, you likely want to dump the aftermarket intake filter kit and return it to stock. Black smoke is (in general) not enough air.

There was a computer software update and tsb regarding that code. It could also be a dirty sensor in the tank.

You also need to determine what "bulletproofing" was done. Bulletproofing has become a meaningless marketing term. Look for head studs and an see if the egr cooler and valve is still there. If the cooler is missing and you have no check engine light, then you have a tune of some sort. If the egr valve is missing, get a replacement so the cooling fan works properly.

You might also want to post in the 6.0 forum

Richard

EDT, also, what color coolant do you have?

Old 07-23-2017, 12:25 PM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by konchryboy
Could it be that the programmer backed off the power because of the code and when you cleared the code it it figured all was good and went back to adding power?
There is some potential in this idea.

@OP: If the truck loses power again, hook up your code reader and see if the same code is now pending. In many cases, the CEL light will not come on until the soft code repeats and becomes a hard code. But a tune could back off on a soft code without the dash light indicating a problem.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:05 PM
madd91
Junior User
Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia
First, you likely want to dump the aftermarket intake filter kit and return it to stock. Black smoke is (in general) not enough air.

There was a computer software update and tsb regarding that code. It could also be a dirty sensor in the tank.

You also need to determine what "bulletproofing" was done. Bulletproofing has become a meaningless marketing term. Look for head studs and an see if the egr cooler and valve is still there. If the cooler is missing and you have no check engine light, then you have a tune of some sort. If the egr valve is missing, get a replacement so the cooling fan works properly.

You might also want to post in the 6.0 forum

Richard

EDT, also, what color coolant do you have?

Its been studded, new head gaskets, oil cooler, and no cooler, and the egr is deleted too. The only check engine light is when the fuel gauge dropped. I will call my local dealership and see about the TSB. Thank you for the info.
If, they re-flashed the computer... Do you think it will erase whatever is in there? If so, its fine... cause, I will be getting the SCT one soon with custom tunes.