Toy Hauler Fuel Tank Sizes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 08:25 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,656 Likes on 2,737 Posts
Toy Hauler Fuel Tank Sizes?

I don't have an owner's manual for my toy hauler so I have to figure things out the hard way sometimes. The brochure for my toy hauler says it has 30 and 18 gallon fuel tanks. I assumed that the 30 gallon tank was for the generator and the 18 gallon was the auxiliary tank for the toys.

My generator tank gauge said that the tank was very close to empty. I filled it up today for the first time and could only get 18 gallons in. Looking underneath, the forward tank that corresponds with the forward filler looks to be much larger than the rearward tank. I'll have to look again to see if the filler hoses cross but I don't think they did.

Is the larger fuel tank supposed to be the generator tank?

Two other issues:
1. I could not run the pump on any more than the first flow rate (the first spot on the handle that will keep it pumping without you having to hold it). Anything higher would immediately cause the pump to stop. Even at the first flow rate it stopped a few times.
2. Fuel leaked out of the spot where the filler neck went into the tank. I'm hoping this will be an easy fix by just tightening up the clamp. It only leaked while filling the tank. Once back at the storage lot there was no leaking.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:36 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,098 Likes on 1,788 Posts
I don't have an answer but my thinking is.
How much are you running the gen set to need 30 gal?
How much do you think your toys will use say over a weekend or even a week, more than 18 gal?

Also being you put about 18 gal in for the gen set that would be my guess as I posted above.
Dave ----

Old 07-23-2017, 10:53 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
I have a Polaris Ranger 900. It gets good enough gas mileage that I rarely fill it full and I doubt I will be using the toy hauler's fuel tank to refill my ATV. Depending on the weather, I suspect that the generator would use more fuel than the ATV. I've only had my trailer out once and it wasn't boondocking, so I don't really have enough experience to know for sure.

It looks like my toy hauler can switch tank sources for the output gas nozzle. It has a lever to change tanks. So it looks like I could pump from the toy tank to the generator tank should I run out of fuel in the generator tank.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:35 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
based on second hand information..

the smaller tank is the generator.... maybe 4-5 days supply.

the larger tank is for toy's... like 3 to 4 dirt motorcycles... 30 gallons is 1 day riding.

being used.. you might want to clean and flush both tanks... just my opinion. you do not want Trash in your toy fuel tank.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:19 PM
BCooke
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep in mind you can pump from the toy juice to the generator gas tank, should your ATV break and the toy juice is no longer required (and you dont wanna go home).

Old 07-23-2017, 04:38 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
I worked on the trailer today and snapped a couple pictures. The generator tank is on the left and toy tank on the right. The one on the left is definitely for the generator as the filter for the generator is coming out of that tank.

As you can see in the pictures, the left tank is wider, but not as long, as the right tank. They are both the same height. That leads me to believe that I don't actually have 18 and 30 gallon tanks. Maybe 18 and 15? I'll measure them (eventually) to figure out what the volume should be.

I tightened up all the hose clamps on the fuel lines near the tank. Hopefully that will fix the fuel leak that occurs while filling the tank.

I'll have to investigate flushing a tank. I've never done that.

Attached Images   
Old 07-23-2017, 05:32 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
based on photo.. No drains...

might go the harbor freight hand pumps...
as like a truck fuel tank.. on-board pump will not pick-up the last gallon or so..

Old 07-26-2017, 01:54 AM
bkuuz1
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Can't help you with your tank issue but from your photo, you better get some air in your boat trailer tire. In case you haven't noticed it was looking a bit low.

On my toy hauler, I never use the aux. tank to fill the toys. I always keep that gas on the trailer for the generator. It's easier to fuel the toys from a can then to refuel the gen. tank from a can for me.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:05 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Originally Posted by bkuuz1
Can't help you with your tank issue but from your photo, you better get some air in your boat trailer tire. In case you haven't noticed it was looking a bit low.

On my toy hauler, I never use the aux. tank to fill the toys. I always keep that gas on the trailer for the generator. It's easier to fuel the toys from a can then to refuel the gen. tank from a can for me.
Ah, your keen powers of observation don't miss much. But that's not my boat. I'm in a storage lot and that boat is my next door neighbor and hasn't moved in over a year. The next time I test my air compressor I might air up the tire for him.

I'm thinking along the same lines for tank usage. I'm headed out tomorrow for a three night stay without hookups so that will give me a chance to test how much fuel the generator will use. The spec sheet says .9 gallons per hour at full load. As long as my princess doesn't need the A/C running all day long we'll be OK.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:24 PM
ZooDad
Received 590 Likes on 344 Posts
I have an 06 weekend warrior. It has a 20 for genset and 40 for fuel station. We use the fuel station all the time. I have replaced the filter a couple times. Had to work on the pump occasionally also. I actually have a split oring (square cut) that is solid on the handle. Can't leave the pump on without dispensing fuel our it leaks. Just need to find a replacement oring.
If the full leak persists I have used boat fill hose as replacement.
Good luck.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:50 PM
bkuuz1
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
HRTKD,

On my Voltage I have a 5500 Onan.

When my trailer lives out at lake McConaughy for a month or two we usually burn almost all of both tanks a month. I find that when we go to the mountains we burn more fuel. Also on mine, I have a manual altitude adjustment **** that makes a difference for how the engine runs.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:37 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
It turns out that my wife preferred to spend time outside, in the shade, than hang around inside with the A/C running. We did use the generator a few times and even ran a line to one of the other trailers so they didn't have to fire up their nasty portable generator.

I doubt that I burned more than a couple gallons of fuel. At this rate, it could take a while to get rid of the entire 18 gallons in the tank. Either my generator is a lot more efficient than I thought or I'm just not coming close to a full load.

I think my elevation adjustment is set for 6,000'. We were at around 4,700' this weekend. I didn't think to change the adjustment.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:25 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So many different set ups. On my 2006 Crossroads Crossterrain, I just have a 25 gal fuel tank.
It's ported so that my pump for toys runs out at about the 20 gal. The remaining 5 gals is only available to the Onan to ensure I don't run out of generator fuel unexpectedly.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:13 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
Received 2,176 Likes on 680 Posts
18 for the generator tank and 30 for the toys.

This is on a Fuzion 371 with a Onan/Cummins 5500 generator. Last trip we ran it for 3 nights and part of one day. Maybe 1/2 gallon per hour at the most.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:15 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My TH has a single 42 gallon tank.
The one enemy we all have with partially filled tanks is condensation. Newer traiers may be different but -- Since these are not motor vehicles, they are probably all vented to the atmosphere rather than running through some sort of vapor recovery system.
Oxygenated fuels don't keep well and if the fuel has any ethanol in it, it will suck water out of the air at an alarming rate..

Quick Reply: Toy Hauler Fuel Tank Sizes?