1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 6.8 v10 will not start

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 05:16 PM
Aaron Owens
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 6.8 v10 will not start

I'm hoping someone on here can help me solve a problem with my truck not starting.

2001 f350 w/v10. the fender mounted starter solenoid went out so I replaced it, while doing so I also replaced the battery (previous owner had a marine/rv battery installed, I purchased the truck a couple months ago). after replacement the truck still will not start. when attempting to start it barely if at all cranks, long story short I was going to have the starter tested but in the course of removing it the terminal posts broke off so I ended up replacing it too. the truck still would not start or really crank so I dug down with the expectation of finding a bad ground someplace. cleaned up the ground points. Now I have the battery on a charger awaiting it to finish recharging. in the interim anyone know of something that is likely/remotely likely to be causing the engine not to crank over and start that I have missed?

Old 07-22-2017, 05:30 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
If you still have the old battery, I'd pop it back in and see if it turns over. If not, it's time for some voltage checks.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:10 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
inspection time... follow the positive and negative cables.....for swelling... if YES they are bad..

most times cranking slow.. its battery, cable or connections... to starter...

YES a new battery can be bad...
ask for a 100 amp LOAD TEST, no others are true test of battery power.

Full power MUST get to the starter...

Old 07-23-2017, 12:23 AM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Make sure that the NEW battery is charged.
Like Chuck said it is possible to buy a brand new dud battery, and it is also possible to buy a brand new dud solenoid/starter/anything else.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:42 PM
Aaron Owens
New User
Regarding the Battery being good/bad; yes had Ford exchange the first one I purchased from them and same goes for the solenoid too. I will check the cables, I overlooked them. Hopefully that's were the problem is. I will update y'all once I get them checked or replaced. thanks for all the help.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:54 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
Mine's still turning over fine, but I can tell the positive terminal is so corroded it's going to leave me stranded soon. Going to replace all of the cables at once.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C5FXCI/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3GG2FPRKQ80O2&colid=2TIH3H4T0SC41 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C5FXCI/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3GG2FPRKQ80O2&colid=2TIH3H4T0SC41

Old 08-09-2017, 07:00 PM
Aaron Owens
New User
update: inspected and replaced the battery cables.
Result: no change, engine does not start.

At this time I decided it was time to remove the belt and try and start the engine to determine if it was a belt driven component. Engine fired up with no problem.

Upon further inspection I found the a/c compressor was completely seized.

Final fix: a/c compressor and associated component replacement. (this was an odd anomaly with the fender mounted starter solenoid relay going bad at the same time as the a/c compressor completely seizing. thanks for all the help.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:31 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
Glad you found the problem, but I can't believe the starter didn't have the power to turn the engine over even with a seized a/c.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:12 PM
Aaron Owens
New User
surprised me too, especially with a brand new starting system. however, during all the work it looks like I inadvertently made a mistake.

In the course of conducting the work it looks like I disconnected a wire connector to that comes from the spark plugs harness however, for the life of me I cant find were the heck it connects too. Hopefully someone can provide a picture of were the connector ends up at. At the front of the engine in dives down the from of the valve cover but after that its a mystery to me I just came across it hanging disconnected.

what does this wire harness go to after it drops down the side of the valve cover?

The lonely conector, can you help me find my home?

Old 08-15-2017, 05:19 PM
SDSC4X4
More Turbo
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
HA! I had to go out and look my truck (also an '01 V10) over to find that one!

I believe it connects to the Crankshaft Position Sensor. It is at the front of the engine right below the air conditioner compressor. It is just behind the pulley on the front of the compressor, and appears to be angled about 45 degrees off vertical.

The diagram on this thread may help,
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...emp-guage.html

I may be wrong, but on my truck it looks like the AC Clutch plugs in from the top and the Crankshaft Position Sensor is below the compressor. Keep in mind the diagram is for a 1999.

It is easiest to see from underneath the truck. Looks like it might be a bit tricky to get to, but not too bad. Be sure the cable doesn't rub on the pulley after you plug it in.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:13 AM
Aaron Owens
New User
Originally Posted by SDSC4X4
HA! I had to go out and look my truck (also an '01 V10) over to find that one!

I believe it connects to the Crankshaft Position Sensor. It is at the front of the engine right below the air conditioner compressor. It is just behind the pulley on the front of the compressor, and appears to be angled about 45 degrees off vertical.

The diagram on this thread may help,
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...emp-guage.html

I may be wrong, but on my truck it looks like the AC Clutch plugs in from the top and the Crankshaft Position Sensor is below the compressor. Keep in mind the diagram is for a 1999.

It is easiest to see from underneath the truck. Looks like it might be a bit tricky to get to, but not too bad. Be sure the cable doesn't rub on the pulley after you plug it in.

Yup! I got back down there a couple days ago and just looked around until I saw something. it is a sneaky little thing. Thanks for taking the time to look at your rig and provide information.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:44 AM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Aaron Owens
Yup! I got back down there a couple days ago and just looked around until I saw something. it is a sneaky little thing. Thanks for taking the time to look at your rig and provide information.
So did it start?

Old 11-19-2018, 04:14 AM
Aaron Owens
New User
Thumbs up 1 year later

Update: the truck started and has continued to run very well for the past year. We even drove it across the country from NJ to CA when we moved, hauling our travel trailer. A couple of hiccups on the journey, complete transmission rebuild in just outside of St Louis in Collinsville IL (Marshalls Transmission) they were great to deal with, expedited the rebuild in 2.5 days and even let me park my travel trailer on his lot. Then the engine blew a plug in Iowa so we spent a few hours at the ford dealership getting that fixed. But since then we have been happily rolling down the road with no problems. This forum has been a life saver with all the folks on here providing their knowledge and insights.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:13 AM
SDSC4X4
More Turbo
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Glad to help! That's what this site is all about! Best way to show appreciation is to help someone else with what you have learned about your truck.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:32 PM
eddienelson
Mountain Pass
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Aaron Owens
Update: the truck started and has continued to run very well for the past year. We even drove it across the country from NJ to CA when we moved, hauling our travel trailer. A couple of hiccups on the journey, complete transmission rebuild in just outside of St Louis in Collinsville IL (Marshalls Transmission) they were great to deal with, expedited the rebuild in 2.5 days and even let me park my travel trailer on his lot. Then the engine blew a plug in Iowa so we spent a few hours at the ford dealership getting that fixed. But since then we have been happily rolling down the road with no problems. This forum has been a life saver with all the folks on here providing their knowledge and insights.
Thank you so much for following through with the updates. A lot of threads start and dont finish. Congratulations on the fix...

Quick Reply: 2001 6.8 v10 will not start