1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Are you Sirius? Upgrading tunes to satellite with existing head unit.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 08:25 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Are you Sirius? Upgrading tunes to satellite with existing head unit.

So cherry season will be over soon, and I desperately need a vacation on the boat. The boat has some Sirius XM hardware on board from maybe a previous tuner, but the existing tuner has no connection to it. I could put a whole new head unit in there with satellite, but that would leave the truck cab without satellite. I live and recreate in the wilderness - there is very limited radio and no air TV, so most forms of entertainment come via cable, satellite, or cell... and cell service is spotty at best.

I'm looking at a lot of technology that allows a portable Satellite receiver to be carried from home to truck to the boat, but many do not have the precise features I'm looking for. I thought I'd share my search with you, because some of you may have already been on this particular road - or maybe you want to know more about this option, just as I do.

I'd like to find a portable unit that can stream to the head unit via Bluetooth, but FM may be good enough - though I do see most of these units use an audio cable. I want the portable unit to have an antenna that can stay with the unit, not the vehicle. It needs to have a 12-volt or USB power adapter. I have found satellite radio apps, but there is frequently no WiFi or cell signal where I tow and boat. A Satellite antenna that integrates with a smart phone would be cool - smart phones can stream to most modern head units via Bluetooth.

I have learned that there is the 1.0 content (more compressed) and the 2.0 content, which has a better sound quality... I'll be looking for the 2.0.

Sirius sells radios, but there are XM radios that are not "Sirius" unless you pay Sirius to "adopt" the XM radio born out of wedlock.

I looked at a touch screen unit, but it was too small to control in a moving vehicle (no remote) - plus the reviews said it was so laggy that you would grow a five-O-clock shadow while waiting for the touch response.

The SiriusXM SXPL1V1 Onyx Plus [
LINK LINK
] is a contender right now - unless I find something better.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:10 AM
Njstern87
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
What if you put a vehicle kit in both the truck and boat with antenna mounted to each, than just move the radio from one dock to another? I mounted a dock in the glove box of my truck and one inside my house and move the radio back and fourth between the two.

EDIT: typo fixes

Old 07-22-2017, 10:31 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by Njstern87
I mounted a dick in the glove box of my truck.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:22 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Njstern87
I mounted a dick in the glove box of my truck . . .
LOLWUT?

Old 07-22-2017, 02:39 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Originally Posted by Pikachu
LOLWUT?

Old 07-22-2017, 03:50 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Pikachu
LOLWUT?
And one inside his house!

Old 07-22-2017, 04:04 PM
IDI-Charlie
Fleet Mechanic
Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts
Ehem, well gentlemen, let's be logical about this. How many times has there been a, "Honey I need ____ for us to keep this truck." Hopefully he made short work of meeting those demands!

On that note I have a thing to do... Over there...

Old 07-22-2017, 07:05 PM
Stebs
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weeeellllll...

The Sirius stiletto 2 is portable with internal antenna, but not good enough for vehicle or home use without the proper docks and external antennas. Don't believe is has an fm modulator either. Discontinued as well so eBay is about your only choice. Used to carry one when I mowed the golf course.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:24 PM
Njstern87
Tuned
Guess thats what happens when I'm typing with fat fingers trying to do three things at once and not proof reading. I earned this one..flame away

Back to the question at hand...i have the Sirius stratus 7 with car dock in the glove box of my truck. I also have their dock to tie it in to my home stereo for when Im not using my truck. Simply just un-dock it from truck and place in house. Would imagine you could do something similar with the boat.

-Nick

Old 07-22-2017, 08:24 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Nick, I have to tell you that my wife and I laughed so hard at your typo... We were sitting here reading the follow up posts to your mistake and I had tears in my eyes I was laughing so hard.

Sorry for the sidetrack Rich, I hope you get your situation straight and enjoy your time off.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:05 AM
Njstern87
Tuned
Originally Posted by Sous
Nick, I have to tell you that my wife and I laughed so hard at your typo... We were sitting here reading the follow up posts to your mistake and I had tears in my eyes I was laughing so hard.

Sorry for the sidetrack Rich, I hope you get your situation straight and enjoy your time off.
Sous,

No worries..i fell over laughing when I finally figured it out

Rich,

I can take some pics if the way mine is set up if you like.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:22 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
You know... as soon as I logged on, I saw 10 responses to my inquiry, thinking "Cool. I'll bet there's some great information in there." Instead... I get how to please the missus with sex toys in the dash. She reads the train wreck and exclaims "Cool!" Is that to say I don't need the music now?

I looked at the Sirius stratus 7, but I prefer the features on the SiriusXM SXPL1V1 Onyx Plus. I was wondering if there was anything else out there that I hadn't found yet, but every review website I've found keeps tagging this one for bang for the buck. I found some cool stuff available in exchange for some Buck$Zooka rounds, but I don't think that added cost will make the music more enjoyable.

I like the idea of a dock in each location, but the antenna thing has me wanting to drag that around instead of installing it. That's not to say I won't end up installing a dock in each vehicle - I'm just thinking out loud.

As for the house... the computer has a sound system, and I have many sources of music there.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:10 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
I was wondering...is there any chance we can get the 'mounting' procedures?

Old 07-24-2017, 11:22 AM
arcticatdan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a older Delphi unit that I been using for 20 years. Have mounts in truck, company truck, shop at home for use before good internet. Also has a portable boom box for it with antenna. Has worked flawless in all those years. Similar to this: http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...548.l4627&fb=1

Old 07-24-2017, 11:25 AM
arcticatdan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick Reply: Are you Sirius? Upgrading tunes to satellite with existing head unit.