6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Worn Rockers Experts Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 08:22 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Worn Rockers Experts Needed

I just bought the truck. Runs great. I am not looking for extra work or anything. But I have started reading online and you know that doesn't lead to anything positive. Truck has 176,000, emissions all gone and regular oil changes its whole life from service records and talking to the guy I bought it from. I watched a video of worn rockers. I took a video of mine. Please give me your opinions.

C00382E0-3059-44F2-BB09-7782800D94CA.mp4 Video by firefighter1406 | Photobucket

Old 07-22-2017, 05:41 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
I haven't dove in that deep yet but, "speakerfritz is a member hear and he has a plethora of information that one day we will use. Try scoping his posts. Good stuff.

I know you as well from the 7.3 forum, and I wouldn't be afraid to tackle anything on my rig as well coming from the education you provided me there.

Just wish our hands were smaller...lol.

Best wishes,

Denny

Old 07-22-2017, 07:36 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

I am defiantly a fish out of water with this truck. But it is such a set up from my old truck. I think my engine has a lot of the needed work done. Just hoping with a little here and there I can get this one to take me long into the future.

Defiantly gonna take a little to get used to the slower traffic then the 7.3 forum.

I always thought I was getting knowledge from everybody else. I am glad that you were able to take something from my craziness.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:03 PM
Picton
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406
...Defiantly gonna take a little to get used to the slower traffic then the 7.3 forum. ...
You should have seen the one I came from. Like...one moderator was the only person in the 6.4 section that answered anything. Traffic here is better than others. You and me both...on the hopes our trucks last.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:04 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

I am trying to do as much reading as I can and learn this engine. I don't want to do any needless work, but don't want a huge failure either. Hopefully some who has done this and heard it first hand me in soon

Old 07-23-2017, 04:46 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Anybody replaced rockers??

Old 07-23-2017, 05:39 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Seth,

Fritz has run the gambet on the 6.4 I'm sure he'll be along and can answer many questions.

A very trusted source on the 6.4. (especially the rockers and head work.)

I;ll try to point you his way.

Denny

Old 07-23-2017, 05:47 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
If you go up and hit search, type in Speakerfritz. look at his profile and hit posts. He has tons. If you want to learn this plant, grab a 30 pack or get a maid. He has alot of knowledge and experience.

His nic is well suited.

Enjoy,

Denny

Old 07-23-2017, 09:03 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

I have been reading some of his posts. He has done a lot of work. I personally don't hear any "typewriter noise" coming from the intake like I have read. But my ear is not trained to the sounds of a 6.4 yet.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:00 PM
Picton
Senior User
Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406
...But my ear is not trained to the sounds of a 6.4 yet.
I myself have been known to walk outside, start the truck up, raise the hood, and just listen to it idle. Walk all around that engine bay. Hell...stick your head in there...put an ear down...and listen from all different angles.

If you know what it SHOULD sound like...you'll know (hopefully) when there is an issue brewing.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:10 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
I couldnt see your video.

rocker arm wear seems to be a sporadic problem...not eveyone has or ever will.

-how do you know you have a valve train problem?????
-very poor mpg. I went from 8 mpg before the repair to mid teens after
-excessive regens.
-thumping noise from intake
-typewriter type noise
-code errors about contribution balance and other "ford" terms
-in severe cases the engine will loose idle speed and wrench....but if you keep it above idle speed it wont wrench.
-some rockers have ball bearings that drop

whats involved

there are about 800 bucks in parts needed

-the rocker arms. they can be bought individually or as a set. makes no sense to me to replace 1 or 2 if your are going to dismantle the engine

-there are rocker saddles

- push rods. these will bend . you can roll them on a glass table to see if they are warped.

- injector fuel lines are needed since the lines have to be removed and they are 1 time use.

-there is a special rotate crank and sequentially torque proceedure

- lines have a special torque proceedure

- rocker base gets a hefty torque as well

- then there the cab lift that is need

- and /or removing your fender wells for side access

-once completed the truck will run amazingly better

not a job for the faint hearted

took me months to do mine . did a little every weekend.

from other forum members ford estimates were in the 7K area. my local ford dealer wouldnt touch it.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:33 PM
Picton
Senior User
Originally Posted by speakerfritz

-excessive regens.
-typewriter type noise
-in severe cases the engine will loose idle speed and wrench....but if you keep it above idle speed it wont wrench.

whats involved

-the rocker arms. they can be bought individually or as a set. makes no sense to me to replace 1 or 2 if your are going to dismantle the engine

- push rods. these will bend . you can roll them on a glass table to see if they are warped.

- injector fuel lines are needed since the lines have to be removed and they are 1 time use.

from other forum members ford estimates were in the 7K area. my local ford dealer wouldnt touch it.
AND......yep...Here comes the saddest kind of oatmeal entering my underwear. Thanks once again fritz (;

Old 07-24-2017, 04:00 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Seth,

I couldn't view the vid either.

However, it is a Diesel and won't be absolutely silent. You still will here the injectors fire but to give you something you know, like the 7.3's hammer, there's a difference between a 2 lb hammer and a 5 lb hammer.

Tune your ear to what the baseline is now and if it gets louder, you'll be able to hear the difference.

When I do drive the 08 as my 7.3's my daily, I can't pick p a deficiency because I've been trained to listen to the harder hammer of the 7.3.

You asked today what miles, 117k Major repairs, just the radiator. Did all brakes and all new fluids when I got it 1.5 years ago.

Since then, No major problems just piddly crap like the blue backup camera problem but I don't use it and it will be a rain day repair.

It's an 08 6.4 f350 off road lariat pack with every bell. Forest green on tan short bed srw.

Heaven on earth to drive, and popping the cab to do an appendix one day doesn't scare me one bit.

I stretch it out from time to time to get everything up to temp as my wife drives it daily and only trips 5 miles to work and the girly shops to get her whatevers changed.

Knowing that someday I will pop the cab, I do drop a cab mount and antiseize it everytime I'm under it to do the fuel/water purge on day 1 of the month religiously. (I flag up the last one and go clockwise lest I forget.) Hopefully that will alleviate a frozen bolt and re-torqueing them may help with the radiator racking problem they're prone to.

Great trucks if maintained, no complaints at all.

Denny

Old 07-24-2017, 04:02 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
BTW, it's a crew cab. Sorry. Oh yeah, it's DPF deleted, and the EGR's will be done after I install the mishimoto coolant filter system. (Very soon)

Still running distilled water only to make sure I have no leaks and then can just clean drain and do the proper mix. (cheap final flush type of thing)

Old 07-24-2017, 04:05 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by speakerfritz

-excessive regens.
-typewriter type noise

whats involved

I do not know that I have wear at all. I have just been trying to learn as much as I can about this engine. I have seen trucks with a lot less needing them so I have been trying to make sure I catch mine early if needed. I don't have a mpg drop that I can tell. The lie meter is still saying 12.3 mpg. The truck from the records I have and from talking to the previous owner was very well taken care of.

It does seem to me that I have a slight thump I think from the intake area. But didn't know if that was normal or what. It doesn't have any emmissions so I didn't know if that was just the exhaust being a little more throaty since it was opened up.

Was the video now compatiable with your viewer? I can try to re post it.

Quick Reply: Worn Rockers Experts Needed