1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Dipstick tube adapter flange leak - again!

Old 10-24-2018, 09:53 AM
Silverhks
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by F250_
Answers from the eBay seller...

The "Golden Nugget" is no longer "patent pending", but is now fully patented! Therefore, the eBay seller cannot fight the case and has chosen to no longer make/sell the unit at all. I asked him about a weld-in style option, and he is interested and willing to make those, but cannot do anything until January due to his present schedule.

If anyone wants to contact him, his eBay Seller ID is "cmoore5335". I asked him for his private email address, and if he provides that, I'll post it up as well.
@Dan V I think you might have missed this post

Old 10-24-2018, 10:10 AM
ArmyLifer
Fleet Mechanic
Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts
I do know that when my dipstick tube starts leaking I’m going to make my own “Aluminum Nugget” to fix the leak. Their patent can’t stop that. I can’t make them to sell, but I can make my own.

I would be interested in seeing their patent to see what it covers.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:13 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 575 Likes on 372 Posts
Originally Posted by ArmyLifer
I do know that when my dipstick tube starts leaking I’m going to make my own “Aluminum Nugget” to fix the leak. Their patent can’t stop that. I can’t make them to sell, but I can make my own.

I would be interested in seeing their patent to see what it covers.
I'd be interested in the patent #

That said, I own a small machine shop. But my time during the day to make one is worth more than the $300 this costs. When I pull my engine to fix a soon to be rotted oil pan, I'll go with the weld in unit.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:16 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,425 Likes on 2,833 Posts
Is it patent infringement if the individual selling them is doing so for non-profit reasons?

Or, if the person making them gives them away?

Old 10-24-2018, 10:19 AM
ArmyLifer
Fleet Mechanic
Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts
I also have a small machine shop, but it’s just a side gig. I’d make my own just on principles.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:38 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Sous
Is it patent infringement if the individual selling them is doing so for non-profit reasons?

Or, if the person making them gives them away?
I think "personal use." And even that I'm not sure of.

But here's the deal, let's say Dorman started making them. Strictly Diesel (or the patent holder) is required defend the patent...required.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:00 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Anybody have a link to a weld in unit...Not the Swamp's piece for $185

Old 10-24-2018, 12:16 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Post #1 & #18

#18 was my thought...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1334166-weld-in-oil-dipstick-adapter-mod-2.html

Old 10-24-2018, 02:30 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Dennis' patent numbers are now showing up on his web site.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:03 PM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan V
Anybody have a link to a weld in unit...Not the Swamp's piece for $185
Message Scott Morris here... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Morri...60091470807710

Old 10-24-2018, 03:42 PM
Strictly Diesel
FTE Sponsor
I'm going to make some comments that are going to rub a few of you the wrong way, for that I apologize in advance.

First of all, as Pete has pointed out above, I have added the Patent Numbers to the website. I wasn't aware that there was such concern over whether it was legitimate or not, the main number is engraved on the part itself, but since I received 2 different requests for them in a 2 hour period today, I knew something was up. Here they are for you as well: US Patents : #9,285,259 & #9,671,272

Next, before any of you point it out, I am not the patent holder. I don't take credit for the design. It was a former employee of mine that came up with the design and that produces the adapter itself. Strictly Diesel then packages the adapter with the new Ford o-ring and instructions and distributes it to either Retail or Wholesale customers. We also handle all of the pre-sales support, after sale tech support, etc.

As for the price of the "gold nugget" product, get over yourselves! FTE is an interesting anomaly of DIYers that seem to have above average capabilities or desires to do everything themselves for the least cost possible. It has been this way for as long as I can remember. Just because some of you have the capability or knowledge of what the material may cost doesn't mean that a business should simply add 30% markup to what YOU project the cost to be and sell it to you for that price. Anyone that operates a legitimate manufacturing business with dealer and retail pricing, employees, product liability insurance, facility overhead, and so on and so forth...will understand that a business has to price products based on ALL factors. In this case, the person that makes the actual adapter has his shop time and costs (his own employees, insurance, overhead, etc) to cover...as well as what he factors in because he was the smart guy that had the "better idea" and the "American Dream" says he is entitled to get paid for his idea, his efforts, his trial and error, his attorney fees, etc. We then add parts and labor on our end, figure out our final cost, and establish wholesale and retail pricing. This product is not produced by a one man operation, in a home garage with no overhead, in a way that the manufacturer can just disappear if they had a problem. There are legitimate businesses involved here, with AMERICAN workers who are paid a fair wage and benefits, using as much AMERICAN material as possible (like everything we make here). It does NOT MATTER what the stock piece of crap pot metal made in china parts cost, or how much more our part is, that is comparing apples to oranges. It does not matter how much the copycat products cost, as purchasing someone elses product and copying it is not "research and development"! I've seen a bunch of copies of this part, and some were so obviously copies that it was sad, some they at least tried to be different but were still in violation of the patent, and some I can't even believe they had the nerve to post pictures because they were so embarrassingly bad.

I don't say the above to offend, you simply need to understand that this is a small production run, specialty product. It is not mass manufactured like the OEM crap, in china, for pennies. It is also NOT a "commodity" product like intakes and exhaust systems, so it hasn't been *****d out to single digit margins by Amazon, Ebay and countless online sellers that operate from their recliner while watching oprah all day.

You don't have to like the price, but before you make us out to be "price gouging", give some consideration to how much more horribly out of balance the profit margins are on just about everything else around you...not to mention the fact that your complaint about the price is likely also because it doesn't "do anything cool". Most of you would have no problem spending the same $300 on something that you can show off or brag about. How much have you spent on lift kits, wheels and tires, tuners, stereos, bumpers and light bars? Did you pitch a fit about the price of all of those, call them all price gougers, etc? On the other hand, our part that is hidden and has no "cool factor" MUST be too expensive and "gouging" and should be sold for less because we are jerks.

Look, NOBODY likes having to spend money to do a "repair" to their vehicle, we would ALL rather just get to spend our money on toys and performance and fun stuff. At the end of the day, the $300 you spend on our dipstick adapter buys you a fixed vehicle, without pulling the engine. It buys you a part that just about any DIYer can install in their driveway in about an hour (or less). It buys you a serviceable part that will not deform like the OE part and will likely outlive the truck. It buys you support from Strictly Diesel if you need it. If $300 is too much to fix your truck right and keep it on the road and keep the oil in the pan, especially if you are willing to spend that or more on other stuff for the truck, it isn't our part that has a pricing problem...it is you that has a truck repair budget problem because you are unwilling to mentally transfer funds from your "play" budget to your "repair" budget and instead you expect someone else to lower the price so you can still afford your toys.

As for Scotts weld-in adapter. No patent violation there. If you have the capability, by all means, go for it. Scott is a good dude and he will certainly stand behind his part as well.

Old 10-24-2018, 04:55 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Strictly Diesel
I'm going to make some comments that are going to rub a few of you the wrong way, for that I apologize in advance.

First of all, as Pete has pointed out above, I have added the Patent Numbers to the website. I wasn't aware that there was such concern over whether it was legitimate or not, the main number is engraved on the part itself, but since I received 2 different requests for them in a 2 hour period today, I knew something was up. Here they are for you as well: US Patents : #9,285,259 & #9,671,272

Next, before any of you point it out, I am not the patent holder. I don't take credit for the design. It was a former employee of mine that came up with the design and that produces the adapter itself. Strictly Diesel then packages the adapter with the new Ford o-ring and instructions and distributes it to either Retail or Wholesale customers. We also handle all of the pre-sales support, after sale tech support, etc.

As for the price of the "gold nugget" product, get over yourselves! FTE is an interesting anomaly of DIYers that seem to have above average capabilities or desires to do everything themselves for the least cost possible. It has been this way for as long as I can remember. Just because some of you have the capability or knowledge of what the material may cost doesn't mean that a business should simply add 30% markup to what YOU project the cost to be and sell it to you for that price. Anyone that operates a legitimate manufacturing business with dealer and retail pricing, employees, product liability insurance, facility overhead, and so on and so forth...will understand that a business has to price products based on ALL factors. In this case, the person that makes the actual adapter has his shop time and costs (his own employees, insurance, overhead, etc) to cover...as well as what he factors in because he was the smart guy that had the "better idea" and the "American Dream" says he is entitled to get paid for his idea, his efforts, his trial and error, his attorney fees, etc. We then add parts and labor on our end, figure out our final cost, and establish wholesale and retail pricing. This product is not produced by a one man operation, in a home garage with no overhead, in a way that the manufacturer can just disappear if they had a problem. There are legitimate businesses involved here, with AMERICAN workers who are paid a fair wage and benefits, using as much AMERICAN material as possible (like everything we make here). It does NOT MATTER what the stock piece of crap pot metal made in china parts cost, or how much more our part is, that is comparing apples to oranges. It does not matter how much the copycat products cost, as purchasing someone elses product and copying it is not "research and development"! I've seen a bunch of copies of this part, and some were so obviously copies that it was sad, some they at least tried to be different but were still in violation of the patent, and some I can't even believe they had the nerve to post pictures because they were so embarrassingly bad.

I don't say the above to offend, you simply need to understand that this is a small production run, specialty product. It is not mass manufactured like the OEM crap, in china, for pennies. It is also NOT a "commodity" product like intakes and exhaust systems, so it hasn't been *****d out to single digit margins by Amazon, Ebay and countless online sellers that operate from their recliner while watching oprah all day.

You don't have to like the price, but before you make us out to be "price gouging", give some consideration to how much more horribly out of balance the profit margins are on just about everything else around you...not to mention the fact that your complaint about the price is likely also because it doesn't "do anything cool". Most of you would have no problem spending the same $300 on something that you can show off or brag about. How much have you spent on lift kits, wheels and tires, tuners, stereos, bumpers and light bars? Did you pitch a fit about the price of all of those, call them all price gougers, etc? On the other hand, our part that is hidden and has no "cool factor" MUST be too expensive and "gouging" and should be sold for less because we are jerks.

Look, NOBODY likes having to spend money to do a "repair" to their vehicle, we would ALL rather just get to spend our money on toys and performance and fun stuff. At the end of the day, the $300 you spend on our dipstick adapter buys you a fixed vehicle, without pulling the engine. It buys you a part that just about any DIYer can install in their driveway in about an hour (or less). It buys you a serviceable part that will not deform like the OE part and will likely outlive the truck. It buys you support from Strictly Diesel if you need it. If $300 is too much to fix your truck right and keep it on the road and keep the oil in the pan, especially if you are willing to spend that or more on other stuff for the truck, it isn't our part that has a pricing problem...it is you that has a truck repair budget problem because you are unwilling to mentally transfer funds from your "play" budget to your "repair" budget and instead you expect someone else to lower the price so you can still afford your toys.

As for Scotts weld-in adapter. No patent violation there. If you have the capability, by all means, go for it. Scott is a good dude and he will certainly stand behind his part as well.
I’ve not commented on others posts regarding prices because they’re entitled to their opinions but I also have my opinion on this…
Here’s my take on the nugget and your post, Dennis? First, I recommend NEVER apologizing for someone else’s feelings...EVER! Feelings are subjective and people are way to sensitive nowadays. Second, I bought your adapter for several reasons, 1) it flat works 2) it’s quick 3) I wanted it fixed period and I wanted it done right. 4)Cheaper than pulling the engine. 5) it was highly recommended. 6) I had an extra $300 I didn’t want or need .

Now did $300 sting a bit, of course but so did $180 each for the gauges I installed, $500 for bellowed up pipes, $200 for a turbo rebuild kit that caused me to pull the damn thing 3 ****ing times because the o rings leaked, $3900 for my transmission…these are all my choices but you get the idea. None of the vendors I used apologized for their prices, neither should you. My point is everyone has to personally justify how much they spend on something, some will spend thousands on a turbo they don’t need but want, I can’t justify that expense but I don’t bitch about it either. No one is forcing anyone to buy this or any other product but if you rig something up and it fails don’t whine about it either. Grandma always said. There’s nothing wrong with being easy, just don’t be cheap! Rant over

Old 10-24-2018, 05:19 PM
Strictly Diesel
FTE Sponsor
Thank You John!

For the record, I generally never apologize for our pricing, regardless of whether it is our product or someone elses. Todays pricing climate is very cut-throat. I just had someone call and complain that we are more expensive on ARP head studs than everywhere else he looked at...instead of just buying it where it was least expensive. A quick google (because I had not checked in a while) confirmed that you could buy the part number he wanted on Amazon for LESS THAN MY COST FROM MY WHOLESALER! As a legitimate business that needs to be able to support the product it sells, we purchase through official channels to ensure that we always have a manufacturers warranty to offer. How am I to compete with that Amazon price (and others like it)...I don't even try. We look at what OUR COST through our proper channels is, we add a margin that allows us to justify making the sale and supporting the customer and that's the price we list. If it's too high and people buy elsewhere, so be it...they can also get the support from elsewhere as well, and my staff can spend their time on customers that have purchased from us. If someone wants to purchase from us, get our before and after the sale support, support our business, etc...our price is our price.

Simply put, we don't compete on price and we don't price match. Most aftermarket items are offered at the MAP price the manufacturer requires of us, making us competitive in the market. If a particular manufacturer doesn't have any pricing policies, and the wild wild web has the stuff at pricing that doesn't make sense, we either mark it up accordingly or don't offer it. We try to be competitive, but not at the cost of common sense and good business practices.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:15 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Good to hear from you Dennis. I think the majority of us are very aware what it takes to keep these trucks on the road. I can have my opinion as you can yours. I simply do not have to buy the product. You are absolutely correct, and I never will. Thanks for explaining though. No one asked you to apologize. I certainly didn't. I have spent a lot of money with your company as well. Again, just because you can doesn't always mean you should. There are plenty of other products you sell to cover overhead, insurance, employees, etc, etc.... I get it. We aren't stupid or whiny because the price is WAY up there and we express it....or I express it. It's nothing new. I have been a business owner myself. I understand how it works, believe me. Anyways, take care.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:05 PM
Colorado Horseman
Tuned
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by BBslider001
...I can have my opinion as you can yours. I simply do not have to buy the product. You are absolutely correct, and I never will. Thanks for explaining though...
Yep, the explanation reveals perhaps more than Dennis intended!

Originally Posted by BBslider001
Again, just because you can doesn't always mean you should. There are plenty of other products you sell to cover overhead, insurance, employees, etc, etc.... I get it. We aren't stupid or whiny because the price is WAY up there and we express it....or I express it.
I have found not one product on the Strictly Diesel website that did not reflect this arrogant pricing attitude. But, that is not really the point - it is in truth up to the consumer to decide whether to buy any product based on suitability to intended purpose, quality, and price. Doesn't meet your criteria - don't buy. The free market and good old ingenuity will prevail.

Yep, drop a large piece of metal in the pan to bounce around, no problem. Does the price insure the cost of the sure to come lawsuit suing for a completely new engine from damage caused - or is there a disclaimer exempting Strictly Diesel?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dipstick tube adapter flange leak - again!