1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Dipstick tube adapter flange leak - again!

Old 10-22-2018, 12:28 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Twim
I too am interested what happened to the guy on eBay. Sent him a message via eBay, but have not heard back. Don’t have the budget for $300, but can definitely do about $150!
Looks like he only has three items for sale right now.

Stewart

Old 10-22-2018, 08:16 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
I think everyone is looking to get "fair value" for their money. A flange for THREE HUNDRED dollars?

Production costs maybe $50? Billeted maybe a tad more? Development costs...those are born by the believer, with the hopes of recouping his time investment from future sales.

It's not a spec product. It isn't under extreme temps, tolerances, or pressures. It isn't a high wear item.

IMHO, if someone wants buyers to flock to them, offer a FAIR price for a good product and you'll develop loyalty. Attempting to squeeze every dime out of customers "because they don't have any other options" only works until there is another option. Which many times buyers will use the new option if they feel they weren't treated fairly and with respect as getting good value at a fair price.

I see this with our "favored vendors" here as well. Some of the prices have doubled and continue to climb with no end in sight..."just because we can"

You can't take advantage of your customers and then expect loyalty in return. You can take the lead and get your money up front, as much as you can squeeze, and then get out as other options are offered, or you can build long term loyalties from "captive customers" (us!) who will continue to buy just about everything from you and not bother shopping around.

Choose one

{End free market lecture} LOL
Well said....nothing pizzes me off more than price gouging. I get charging a fair price, and sometimes "fair" might seem extreme, but in this case, it is WAY overpriced. I would never buy one form this guy just on principle alone. I'd just use the factory fix and a new o-ring.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:47 PM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts
I have yet to see it return to ebay. Scott Morris has a $75 shipped weld-in piece if welding is an option for you.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:26 AM
Slimline
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sadly I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and order the 300 dollar one. I'm not dicking around with the diesel o ring one, not saying its bad, but I had a terrible time trying to get it to seal on my old truck. The weld In seems reasonable but i don't know.... My engine also leaks at the oil filter no matter what I do or how tight I spin on the new filters. That's irritating as hell too. If I do the recommended snug plus 3/4 it leaks, wrench tight, it leaks. Wonder if my casting is warped. Damn leaky diesels.
​​

Old 10-23-2018, 12:16 PM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
I used the repair kit first and it did not last long for me either. I bought the eBay fitting and found it to be excellent in build quality and it hasn't leaked at all since install a year ago. You'll do fine with the Nugget.

Old 10-23-2018, 01:24 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Slimline
Sadly I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and order the 300 dollar one. I'm not dicking around with the diesel o ring one, ​​
Did the ebay seller not respond?

Stewart

Old 10-23-2018, 03:10 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
I just shot a message to the eBay seller and will post the reply... if I get one.

I, too, really like the weld-in option, though! With good welding... it's a "one and done" solution!

Old 10-23-2018, 04:00 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by F250_
I just shot a message to the eBay seller and will post the reply... if I get one.

Stewart

Old 10-23-2018, 04:02 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Answers from the eBay seller...

The "Golden Nugget" is no longer "patent pending", but is now fully patented! Therefore, the eBay seller cannot fight the case and has chosen to no longer make/sell the unit at all. I asked him about a weld-in style option, and he is interested and willing to make those, but cannot do anything until January due to his present schedule.

If anyone wants to contact him, his eBay Seller ID is "cmoore5335". I asked him for his private email address, and if he provides that, I'll post it up as well.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:25 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Well, I will NEVER pay 300 bucks....no thanks. Strictly Diesel, keep on keepin' on.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:46 PM
ArmyLifer
Fleet Mechanic
Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts
Anybody read the reviews on Strictly’s website for the Golden Nugget? Most reviews say how crappy the price is but they don’t ever acknowledge that. They frequently do reply to “success” stories though. Guess they need to charge that much to cover the cost of getting a patent...

Old 10-24-2018, 07:23 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Getting a patent is NOT a cheap proposition at all, but still... nuff said.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:45 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Then pay for your own patent instead of on the backs of your customers. Did I mention this totally pizzes me off? LOL

Old 10-24-2018, 08:06 AM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,132 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Slimline
My engine also leaks at the oil filter no matter what I do or how tight I spin on the new filters. That's irritating as hell too. If I do the recommended snug plus 3/4 it leaks, wrench tight, it leaks. Wonder if my casting is warped.
I was in a similar boat. I had examined the filter's base housing so close it nearly touched my safety glasses while using a very high powered flashlight looking for a nick or burr anything to explain the leak. Fram, Wix, Motorcraft, all of them leaked past the seal no matter how i lubed the filter gasket unless i cranked that sucker around 2-3 full turns and even then there was a slow leak weeping down the filter body. And then i tried this bad boy

Weighs like 5 pounds empty, $28, and the gasket is a little taller than all the previous filters mentioned, the top of the gasket is beveled kind of like our fuel bowl filter gasket. Put a good 3 quarts in it till full, then spun it on by hand till finger tight, then the extra turn like it says to. I started up the truck and watched the oil pressure needle move, then crawled under with paper towls in hand to wipe the filter clean and tighten it down til it quits leaking like i always did after a change. Darn thing was dry. A few minutes of high idle later, still dry. I was actually hooked up to the 5th wheel b4 a 5k mile trip, so drove it from my parents farm 15 miles to the house to pack cold stuff, was still dry when i got there. Filter has been on the truck for 7k miles and its still bone dry. I'll be using this filter again for many reasons, but I'm very glad to be rid of my filter leak using this filter.

Return to the nugget bashing

Old 10-24-2018, 08:14 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 575 Likes on 372 Posts
Originally Posted by ArmyLifer
Anybody read the reviews on Strictly’s website for the Golden Nugget? Most reviews say how crappy the price is but they don’t ever acknowledge that. They frequently do reply to “success” stories though. Guess they need to charge that much to cover the cost of getting a patent...
Is there really a patent? Or just a "Patent Pending"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dipstick tube adapter flange leak - again!