6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Question about Tranny Rebuild Kits

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 07:30 AM
Carolina Rig
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question about Tranny Rebuild Kits

Searching the internet on rebuild kits for the 5R110W torqshift transmission comes back with a ton of options. Prices vary hugely too.

For someone to do a proper rebuild, will this Ford kit do it? Is there anything a builder would want in addition to this kit?

I'm running a stock tune and no other performance mods on my 2005.

thanks for the input.

Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2017, 07:10 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Maybe I'm backwards but I'd tear it down first and then decide on what you need including hard parts if any. I don't know what is included in that kit.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:33 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 278 Likes on 141 Posts
I dealt with this on my 2005 Excursion with an '06 transmission (mine was built after June so it got a few revised parts). I wouldn't bother with stock, it has a few shortcomings that need to be addressed.

-Solenoid body plugs
-Low Reverse Snap ring
-Regulator Valve
-Manual valve
-Needs more clutches in Forward, Direct, and Overdrive

If you plan on keeping the truck one stock, by all means get the stock rebuild kit, but you only want to have to do this once. This is why I bought an aftermarket kit that upgrades the Forward, Direct, and Overdrive clutches to better handle the torque and overall power of the 6.0. The kit has Alto Red Eagle clutches, but David Ferguson aka Mr. Red Diamond Diesel, prefers the Raybestos GPZ clutches. The torque converter is very robust, but a lower stall will make things a little earlier.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:30 AM
Carolina Rig
Tuned
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
I dealt with this on my 2005 Excursion with an '06 transmission (mine was built after June so it got a few revised parts). I wouldn't bother with stock, it has a few shortcomings that need to be addressed.

-Solenoid body plugs
-Low Reverse Snap ring
-Regulator Valve
-Manual valve
-Needs more clutches in Forward, Direct, and Overdrive

If you plan on keeping the truck one stock, by all means get the stock rebuild kit, but you only want to have to do this once. This is why I bought an aftermarket kit that upgrades the Forward, Direct, and Overdrive clutches to better handle the torque and overall power of the 6.0. The kit has Alto Red Eagle clutches, but David Ferguson aka Mr. Red Diamond Diesel, prefers the Raybestos GPZ clutches. The torque converter is very robust, but a lower stall will make things a little earlier.
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. I should've been more specific and asked the question differently. Sorry about that.

I am planning on keeping the truck stock, and I'd like to drive it for another 100K miles. Truck shifts good and I service the transmission about every 20K (drain, fill, filters). I will say that under somewhat hard up-shifts at higher speeds, there's a bouncy feel (don't know how else to describe it). No slip or noise, just if I get on it, the downshift is fine, and the upshift to high gear kinda yo-yo's for a slight second.

I just turned 200,000 miles last month and in the interest of preventive maintenance, been thinking of purchasing a used transmission and doing a rebuild so I have one ready to go when I feel like swapping. I would prefer to do the job before something gives up the ghost so I know it's done and behind me.

With this scenario, can you guys recommend a kit or options?

If I buy a used tranny to build on the side, I'm not necessarily gonna know anything more about its history than the mileage on it.

Thanks again

Old 08-11-2017, 10:52 AM
maw8511
Trailering
Sorry guys if I am posting this question in the wrong format, I can't seem to figure out how to write a new post. My question is, my early 04 6.0 with 215K on it has slipped a couple of times I think going from 2 to 3, nothing horrible, RPM shoots up for a split second then engages. Will then run perfectly for a number of days with no issue. I am thinking of running it into a local tranny shop that I have used before and see if they can diagnose the problem, I am just not sure that it will replicate the problem while they have it. Does this sound like a solenoid issue? or something else. Daily driver and don't tow more then a few times a year with 6k travel trailer. Religiously service every 30k at the Ford dealer.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:06 PM
Carolina Rig
Tuned
Originally Posted by maw8511
Sorry guys if I am posting this question in the wrong format, I can't seem to figure out how to write a new post. My question is, my early 04 6.0 with 215K on it has slipped a couple of times I think going from 2 to 3, nothing horrible, RPM shoots up for a split second then engages. Will then run perfectly for a number of days with no issue. I am thinking of running it into a local tranny shop that I have used before and see if they can diagnose the problem, I am just not sure that it will replicate the problem while they have it. Does this sound like a solenoid issue? or something else. Daily driver and don't tow more then a few times a year with 6k travel trailer. Religiously service every 30k at the Ford dealer.
Sounds like a flare to me. I had an intermittent flare shift, same as you, about 4 years ago. I replaced 2 solenoids and it went away. I have them noted in my ATSG manual, but can't remember which two right now. That flare is common in our trucks.

All in all about an hour's time to be done and cleaned up.

As for my original post - I bought the Ford master rebuild kit and a Ford torque converter. Gathering some tools up and will do this rebuild later this year or early 2018.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:44 PM
maw8511
Trailering
Thanx Carolina Rig for your response and again I apologize as I cannot figure out how to write a new post and not in someones reply column. I have the feeling also it is a solenoid issue as it is only once in a while, if it were worn clutch pads I assume it would do it all the time, and overall it still runs and shifts very well in all gears. I'm going to run it into the local tranny shop, there good guys and know there stuff, independent and not a chain shop.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:07 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Carolina Rig
Sounds like a flare to me. I had an intermittent flare shift, same as you, about 4 years ago. I replaced 2 solenoids and it went away. I have them noted in my ATSG manual, but can't remember which two right now. That flare is common in our trucks.

All in all about an hour's time to be done and cleaned up.

As for my original post - I bought the Ford master rebuild kit and a Ford torque converter. Gathering some tools up and will do this rebuild later this year or early 2018.
Let us know what you find. Here's a pic of the valve body to jog your memory.

Originally Posted by maw8511
Thanx Carolina Rig for your response and again I apologize as I cannot figure out how to write a new post and not in someones reply column. I have the feeling also it is a solenoid issue as it is only once in a while, if it were worn clutch pads I assume it would do it all the time, and overall it still runs and shifts very well in all gears. I'm going to run it into the local tranny shop, there good guys and know there stuff, independent and not a chain shop.
To start your own thread click here:

. Or depending on if you're mobile or not, here:

Old 08-12-2017, 07:26 AM
Carolina Rig
Tuned

Looks like I replaced the direct clutch solenoid and the coast clutch solenoid. My memory seems to think that only one of these is the cause of the flares, but I don't recall. Nonetheless, it took care of the intermittent issue.

Old 05-21-2021, 02:35 PM
dustin hill
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5r110w

I have 07 f250 4x4 and was driving and lost all gears pushed to park it then started back up and had gears is this a sign my trans is goin out or a hiccup? Please help

Old 05-21-2021, 04:39 PM
BstangBill
Mountain Pass
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Sorry I can't help...but you should start your own, new thread on this.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-21-2021, 09:01 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Received 502 Likes on 359 Posts
Yes, start a new thread. But, the first step on this one is to scan the transmission for codes. Be aware, though, that many scanners, IMHO, don't do transmission codes well. The typical auto parts store scanner probably doesn't pick them up. I think the crowd here has had good luck with the Forscan app (IOS or Android) and a WiFi or Bluetooth (ditto) adapter for the car's OBDII connector. You can get both for less for $50 and they're really quite necessary for owning one of these trucks.

So, go get those, or get someone with a professional scanner to get those tranny codes, and you'll get some great help from the folks here.