6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

What's the hot ticket on oil these days?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 07:11 PM
Norma stitz
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 69cj
Valvoline PBE is on the approved list and is sold at Napa, AutoZone, Oreillys and pep boys. Why over analyze this? Truck ain't traveling to the moon.
Respectfully I have to disagree. With 338k on my truck and an average distance to the moon of 238k my truck has ALREADY gone to the moon and is almost half way back. So, yeah I want to choose the right oil.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:29 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by Norma stitz
Respectfully I have to disagree. With 338k on my truck and an average distance to the moon of 238k my truck has ALREADY gone to the moon and is almost half way back. So, yeah I want to choose the right oil.
Weeee're gonna' have to prep ya' just a skosh better than the oil, there big fella', if ya' plan to go to the moon, now...

We'll be needin' some oxygen tanks and maybe a booster rocket or two, solar panels for-sure (because you know the FICM does NOT like low voltage). And somethin' fur traction... I say we go for some sort of sand tire set-up, then you are good to go on star-dust, or moon-dust, or space sand (you DO know it is out there!)...

Or just find a CJ oil and we all hope you get back through re-entry and all, uhm, safely...

Scott (your friendly FTE court jester)

Old 07-20-2017, 07:46 PM
Norma stitz
Elder User
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
Weeee're gonna' have to prep ya' just a skosh better than the oil, there big fella', if ya' plan to go to the moon, now...

We'll be needin' some oxygen tanks and maybe a booster rocket or two, solar panels for-sure (because you know the FICM does NOT like low voltage). And somethin' fur traction... I say we go for some sort of sand tire set-up, then you are good to go on star-dust, or moon-dust, or space sand (you DO know it is out there!)...

Or just find a CJ oil and we all hope you get back through re-entry and all, uhm, safely...

Scott (your friendly FTE court jester)
Reminds me of a dream I once had. It was the best dream ever. Running nude on the moon with all my friends.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:17 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Something random, tonight at Wal Mart I checked a bunch of bottles thinking that there might be a connection between bottles with the API CN rating for gas engines not being Ford certified because of the reduced ZDDP levels.... but then Valvoline Max Life Heavy Duty Diesel High Mileage 15W-40 has CK-4 and CN both.... and then says is meets Ford WSS-M2C171-F spec.

So I'm back to pretty much not caring along as it says CJ-4 after CK-4. Except I did buy they last three gallons of Delo 400 LE 5W-40 that's stamped CJ-4

Old 07-20-2017, 11:32 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Something random, tonight at Wal Mart I checked a bunch of bottles thinking that there might be a connection between bottles with the API CN rating for gas engines not being Ford certified because of the reduced ZDDP levels.... but then Valvoline Max Life Heavy Duty Diesel High Mileage 15W-40 has CK-4 and CN both.... and then says is meets Ford WSS-M2C171-F spec.

So I'm back to pretty much not caring along as it says CJ-4 after CK-4. Except I did buy they last three gallons of Delo 400 LE 5W-40 that's stamped CJ-4
You hypocritical Bast@rd, you!!! Those were MINE!!! I was all set to drive down to Texas tonight and get them!

They might just have been the LAST Delo 5w 40 CJ gallons left on planet earth!

Bryan: you don't have a stash of non-melter oil filters hidden away also, do you?? Hummm???! I'm gonna' unfriend you, or unlike you, or, or... Something like that... dammit...

Norm: you get your answer yet on the oil Q?

Old 07-20-2017, 11:43 PM
Norma stitz
Elder User
You hypocritical Bast@rd, you!!! Those were MINE!!! I was all set to drive down to Texas tonight and get them!

They might just have been the LAST Delo 5w 40 CJ gallons left on planet earth!

Bryan: you don't have a stash of non-melter oil filters hidden away also, do you?? Hummm???! I'm gonna' unfriend you, or unlike you, or, or... Something like that... dammit...

Norm: you get your answer yet on the oil Q?
Basically ya I did. It's a case of the world marching on, cj is gone. Ck is in and it's superior in some opinions, so, a big glop of ck with a dash of archoil will keep me running down the road trouble free.

Now if I could just find a suitable cheaper alternative to my Baldwin bt8851-mpg filters I'd be stoked. Or even a way to find the "alternative" version of the bt851-mpg because I have two seal versions here and only one approaches sealing on my truck.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:17 AM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by 69cj
Valvoline PBE is on the approved list and is sold at Napa, AutoZone, Oreillys and pep boys. Why over analyze this? Truck ain't traveling to the moon.
The $20 per gallon price at NAPA was a JUNE special. I bought 4 (3gal) cases.

Did I say $20 per case? I meant PER Gallon!!

Old 07-21-2017, 09:55 AM
Norma stitz
Elder User
I have about 5k on this oil so my first step will be oil analysis which is something I've never done before. What OCI are people who test running? Keeping in mind my increased capacity and extra big gnarly filter.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:15 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
I was actually kind of shocked to see them, so I thought why not The shelf was pretty well stripped of everything, down to one bottle of CK-4 T6 and some of the Delo 400 SDE 15W-40, seems odd that those three jugs of old unloved CJ-4 where still there.

They did have a good stash of SuperTech 15W-40.... the way people throw additive packs into these engines that might not be a bad way to go for $10 a gallon.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:25 AM
TxMav
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
I have about 5k on this oil so my first step will be oil analysis which is something I've never done before. What OCI are people who test running? Keeping in mind my increased capacity and extra big gnarly filter.
I'm stock on the oil capacity/filter. Currently at 168K miles, I've only recently done 2 oil analysis. Both at 5k mile oci. Both came back good from Blackstone. Both times, they recommend that I increase the OCI to 7-8k miles. I'm too 'chicken' to do that though. You may be in a better position to do that.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:42 PM
FL SuperDuty
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some oil manufacturers have gone to a low-phosphorus oil blend in order to be compatible with both diesel and gasoline engines. This is good for large fleets that have both diesel and gas trucks in that they only have to purchase one oil brand. The phosphorus is very bad for the gasoline trucks after-treatment system.

Unfortunately, oil mfg's don't publish zinc and phos levels. In order to know if your oil is truly a low-phos blend, you'd have to send out an oil analysis of your new oil.

That being said, anything on Ford's list shouldn't be a low-phos blend, under the presumption that the increased rate of wear in the overhead on their 6.7L testing was from a low-phos oil.

Rotella T4 is on the list, btw. T6 is not..
Mobil Delvac is on the list also.
I don't run synthetic in my truck ..

Old 07-22-2017, 12:34 AM
wedge542
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like rotella fleet 15-40 is on the list, any ever use that oil?

Last edited by wedge542; 07-22-2017 at 12:38 AM. Reason: name
Old 07-22-2017, 02:15 AM
Euroman
Senior User
Received 292 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by TxMav
I'm stock on the oil capacity/filter. Currently at 168K miles, I've only recently done 2 oil analysis. Both at 5k mile oci. Both came back good from Blackstone. Both times, they recommend that I increase the OCI to 7-8k miles. I'm too 'chicken' to do that though. You may be in a better position to do that.
I did a 7k oil change recently - getting forgetful - and the oil came out like water. HPOP must do a good job chewing it up...

Old 07-22-2017, 03:28 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i like using Polaris labs. They also report oil oxidation and nitration values. one of the characteristics of the new spec oil is better oxidation. Oxidation is reference for an oil's serviceabilty/life so I'm curious if these values will show any change compared to my historical records. I try to keep mine around 4,000 mikes for the OCI since it spends most of the time towing.