Enclosed car trailer opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 11:04 PM
AMXDREAMER
Posting Guru
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Enclosed car trailer opinions

Currently have a 2011 20' Pace American Outback enclosed car hauler. It was totalled with hail a few weeks ago while driving back across the country from a car show and am now in the market for a new one. I do know I want a better trailer than my old Pace. It had 16" centered walls (hat style studs), 24" floors and ceiling. Plywood floors and walls and crewed exterior etc.

My next trailer will be screwless and 16" centers on walls, floor and roof as I found the old one was always loosening screws on panelling and floors. It will be a V-nose and hopefully a slope nose.

I've looked at lots of trailers the last few weeks and have ruled out some right away due to poor quality and some due to high prices.

Question aluminum or steel?

Aluminum creates more payload and makes for a lighter trailer for better fuel economy. Is it as strong and rigid for LONG trips? I found my Pace was getting rattled to death.

Question torsion or leaf?

Torsion supposed to be much smoother. Is this just when empty? I didn't notice issues with the leafs on my Pace.

Currently looking at

Haulmark ALX enclosed - 16" spacing throughout, all aluminum, v-nose, slope front, smooth walls, one piece roof that wraps over wall, torsion axles, d-rated tires

EZ-Hailer - 16" spacing throughout, all aluminum, seamless roof, v-nose, slope front, smooth walls, leaf springs, nice finishing and attention to detail

Pace American Cargo sport - 16" spacing throughout, STEEL frame, seemless roof, rounded nose, slope front, smooth walls, torsion axles, d-rated tires.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:44 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
I'm guessing Featherlite and ATC aren't on your list due to their cost? They are pricey, but the quality is really top shelf. I'll be in the market for an all aluminum stacker trailer in a few years and ATC is on my short list.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:03 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,680 Likes on 2,745 Posts
My Boy Scout troop has a Haulmark 6'x6'6"x12' (WxHxL) enclosed trailer. It's been outfitted on the inside with shelves. It has been remarkably reliable and it pulls extremely well. I don't think I've seen any issues with screws coming out. The trailer is about 10 years old.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:16 PM
pikapp
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 2015 Haulmark Transport Auto 22' Deluxe. Does all I need it to do and tows flawlessly.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:56 PM
AMXDREAMER
Posting Guru
WE3ZS, yes there are a few trailers I would really like (intech etc) but they are unfortunately out of my budget.

HRTKD, it's quite amazing seeing the quality difference in trailers that are 10 years old. Manufacturers have cut corners to lower the price to keep up to the competition.

pikapp, I looked at a new Haulmark Transport on the lot here and it was terrible. I have a feeling the new ones might not be up to the same level as yours. Screws were missing, seems didn't line up etc. on a new trailer! For a trailer that will see 6000-7000 mile trips each year I need something that will stand up to the miles. I don't feel the 24" centers on the roof and floor can do that.

great input guys, I really appreciate the honest feedback so far.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:08 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,104 Likes on 1,792 Posts
Tony?,
Sorry to hear about the trailer but better the trailer than that great looking AMX right?

Cant help you on the trailer, I am still using my old open trailer but not used much in the last 3 years after the move to North Carolina.
I also have not done much to my AMC's since the move too.

How you like the new truck? See you went bigger this time.
Dave ----

Old 07-23-2017, 12:12 AM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went through the same ordeal last fall when I was in the market for a cargo trailer. Everything on the lots around here was either shoddy construction and/or grossly overpriced. Seemed all of the dealers thought they were doing you a favor just to talk to you.

I found the two biggest issues with the new trailers are no perimeter chassis and inadequate ramp door rating.

I finally found a dealer in Georgia that gladly spent time with me on the phone and we came up with a trailer that I'd be glad to own just like I wanted. Eight weeks later I received a call that it was on their lot and ready to pick up. Me and the wife took a mini vacation and made the 7 1/2 hour trip down to pick it up. I am tickled with it to this day.

All said and done I could have bought 1 1/2 cheap trailers around here for what I have in this one, but I would not be as happy.

You have the money and the power, don't settle for less. You'll be happier in the long run for many miles.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:21 PM
AMXDREAMER
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
Tony?,
Sorry to hear about the trailer but better the trailer than that great looking AMX right?

Cant help you on the trailer, I am still using my old open trailer but not used much in the last 3 years after the move to North Carolina.
I also have not done much to my AMC's since the move too.

How you like the new truck? See you went bigger this time.
Dave ----
Hey Dave! Yes,went with the F350 Platinum this time! You must have that shop ready to go by now though! Time to get working on the Javelin again!

Tony

Old 07-28-2017, 09:17 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
I started to work on it then went and bought a 81 F100 flare side that turned into a frame off rebuild just been to hot to work on anything during the summers here.

Good luck with the new truck and trailer when you get it..
Dave - - - -

Old 08-23-2017, 03:26 PM
AMXDREAMER
Posting Guru
Picked this up yesterday! 2018 EZ Hauler all alluminum, V-nose, screwless exterior, finished interior, torsion axles, alluminum wheels etc. Love it so far and am very impressed with the build quality. Need to finish the floor in the next couple of days.

Attachment 286395

Attachment 279903

Attachment 287566

Name:  zLYz0cF.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  1.23 MB

Attachment 287568

Name:  3LLZedr.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  1.21 MB

Old 08-23-2017, 06:31 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
Nice looking trailer! Is it a 7000lb GVWR? And if you don't mind sharing, what was the ballpark cost of it?
All aluminum construction is very nice.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:39 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,680 Likes on 2,745 Posts
How well will the aluminum tongue hold up to a WDH?

Old 08-23-2017, 10:56 PM
AMXDREAMER
Posting Guru
The trailer has 2 - 3500lb axles and has a cargo carrying capacity of just over 4500lbs. I didn't use or need the WDH bars on my last trailer and don't plan on using them on this one either.

I was fortunate on price as the dealership had bought a cancelled order from the manufacturer so they passed the discount on to me! Trailers range in price a lot depending on your location due to the distances they need to be shipped and the Canadian dollar.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:16 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Tony, Nice looking trailer.
So just over 4500# what does the car weigh?
Then add any parts you may take and or buy will it leave much?

Now keep it out of the hail!
Dave ----

Old 08-27-2017, 10:02 PM
AMXDREAMER
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
Tony, Nice looking trailer.
So just over 4500# what does the car weigh?
Then add any parts you may take and or buy will it leave much?

Now keep it out of the hail!
Dave ----
The AMX weighs in at over 3200lbs and I don't put stuff in the trailer with the car. don't forget you transfer 10-15% of the weight to the tow vehicle so roughly another 700-1000 pounds of cargo. WAY more than i will ever need!

Quick Reply: Enclosed car trailer opinions