Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Economy

Old 07-25-2017, 05:29 PM
69cj
Post Fiend
69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Overkill2 View Post
So these other guys are lying? Just wondering...

I talked to a guy in my area who deleted his 11 and he told me he was getting 18 -19 mpg highway before delete.

I run the numbers and don't use the truck mpg.
I never accused anyone of lying, I stated what my truck gets. Get the corn Cobb out of your butt.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:29 PM
'65Ford
Posting Guru
'65Ford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My truck is pre-6.7 but I'm getting about the same as everyone else...18 empty highway and 9-11 pulling 5 ton fifth wheel.

I check fuel for water in a half gallon glass jar before every fill up. Blended soy diesel (yellow) gets about 9 mpg pulling the fiver. Regular diesel (greenish/bluish) gets 11-11.5 mpg. I can predict my fuel economy within 0.5mpg by the color every single time.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:28 AM
Overkill2
Posting Guru
Overkill2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Wow...someone got triggered...

You highlighted this in red from me: "I'm hoping for 18 mpg on the highway,"

then talked about your truck, and then stated, "Never gonna happen."

So did you mean your truck or were you referring to mine? I would assume you were talking mine because you quoted me. Then the other guys came on and stated they were getting better than that. I just pointed out the obvious, bro.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:32 AM
69cj
Post Fiend
69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Overkill2 View Post
Wow...someone got triggered...

You highlighted this in red from me: "I'm hoping for 18 mpg on the highway,"

then talked about your truck, and then stated, "Never gonna happen."

So did you mean your truck or were you referring to mine? I would assume you were talking mine because you quoted me. Then the other guys came on and stated they were getting better than that. I just pointed out the obvious, bro.
Never gonna happen on my truck. Main reason is I couldn't stand to drive 100 miles at 45 to 55 mph. It also ain't gonna happen, ON MY TRUCK, cause when the highways here are running clear you almost have to drive 75 to 80 mph. Don't take things out of context.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:51 AM
Deuce40s
Elder User
Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by 69cj View Post
Never gonna happen on my truck. Main reason is I couldn't stand to drive 100 miles at 45 to 55 mph. It also ain't gonna happen, ON MY TRUCK, cause when the highways here are running clear you almost have to drive 75 to 80 mph. Don't take things out of context.
Then why did you suggest it wouldn't happen on HIS truck by highlighting his quote? Do you expect him to run 75-80 from western NY to Kentucky? You established the context, not him.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:30 AM
69cj
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Deuce40s View Post
Then why did you suggest it wouldn't happen on HIS truck by highlighting his quote? Do you expect him to run 75-80 from western NY to Kentucky? You established the context, not him.
Everything I said was in reference to my truck.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:53 AM
Overkill2
Posting Guru
Thanks Duece, I got this...

Look Mike, when you quote someone and highlight it in red...someone will probably assume you were talking about them.

You're also the one who threw a little dig with the "magical" truck idea...while the sarcasm is appreciated, one might also think that you don't believe the info these other guys posted. Just saying...

For sake of this thread, I'm going to drop this nonsense. When I go on my roadtrip in less than a month, I'll keep this thread posted and again, we shall see...

Old 08-18-2017, 12:52 PM
SILVER STROKE
Junior User
SILVER STROKE is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by jfralph View Post
Anyone notice the phenomenon of towing mileage is in the 9-11 range regardless of trailer. I have 6 different trailers/items I tow. The biggest/heaviest is a 31í fiver with a jeep, boat or ATV trailer behind it. I also have a utility trailer that maxes out at 14k, a backhoe trailer with tractor. It doesnít matter which I tow, I get about 10 mpg. I recently had to tow the ATV trailer 300 miles. Half empty, half with a 500# ATV on it. I averaged 10 mpg. I have towed my fiver with jeep attached 1700 miles and averaged the same. I have discussed this with other local 6.7 owners, and they also see similar results. Our conclusion is the truck recognizes the trailer attached and the computer alters some parameter. Letís face it, the ATV trailer I tow with the ATV on it doesnít weigh 1000#ís and has very little wind resistance. Fiver with Jeep is in the 17,000# range with massive wind resistance and rolling resistance. There should be a big difference in mileage. BTW, 16-18 on the hwy is common.

Reviving this topic, I noticed when I tow my 6x10 V-nose enclosed trailer I get 10-11 but when I tow the 3 horse gooseneck I average 11 - 12.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:47 AM
Overkill2
Posting Guru

Hand calculated mileage

I leave Wednesday morning for my road trip to Kentucky. I'm really curious to see what she'll do on strictly highway driving...we shall see. I posted a picture of my latest daily driving mileage with a big hill I climb, 3 stop signs and 2 red lights before I get on an expressway, then get off with a stop sign, then 5 red lights before I'm at work...17 miles one way. I would have to estimate the driving as 30/70 or 40/60 city/highway...I'm sure mileage will vary once I buy our camping trailer, while plowing (instead of freezing my *** off on my Cub 1250), etc...

I think I'll hit at least 17 mpg with the 3.55s. Time will tell...

Old 08-21-2017, 11:20 AM
69cj
Post Fiend
Just got back from a 300 mile one way trip from the Eastern Sierras. Truck has approximately 18,500 miles on it and for the first time in it's life I got 17.6 mpg for the trip home. I figured after 10 to 15,000 miles any improvement was done. Average speed was approximately 70 mph.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:02 PM
jfralph
Elder User
jfralph is starting off with a positive reputation.
Smile Empty mileage

Just completed a 550 mile trip with truck empty. First 220 miles were ***** to the walls, trying to make time. lots of passing on 2 lane highways, and running 85+ on Interstate, 75+ on secondary. About 110 miles of around town and country driving, and finally, 220 miles returning home at a more leisurely pace, 70 - 80 mph. Truck had my wife, myself, grandson, and some gear and luggage. Topper off truck. Mileage on trip out was just under 18 mpg, Trip back was 18.4 mpg, average for trip was 18.2.

BTW, I have found out tires make a huge difference on fuel mileage. I was running the Continentals on this trip. 65psi up front and 60 in rear. I am happy with unloaded mileage.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:33 PM
JohnD333
Senior User
JohnD333 has a good reputation on FTE.JohnD333 has a good reputation on FTE.JohnD333 has a good reputation on FTE.
Wind resistance and wind turbulence kill mpg.

we all love tail winds, hate head winds for a big reason. We still can go 70, but mpg is very different loaded or unloaded.

turbulence - while a tow behind may be lower and lighter, the wind turbulence/drag is just about over the truck and hits new resistance from the tow behind. A 5er may be taller, but the wind sees it as one big drag, not two smaller ones that add up to about the same amount of drag. This is why there is sometimes a sweet spot for mpg that may or may not be a lower rpm.

Wind turbulence under the truck is why over the road trucks and your Ford has such a low wind damper under the bumper - it directs wind around the undercarriage where turbulence is the greatest.

the spoiler on the tailgate on the newer models helps drag too.

ever notice those funny things on the ends of airplane wings? Winglettes or spiroids? They reduce the drag by reducing wind turbulence as it passes over/under the wing.

Originally Posted by SILVER STROKE View Post
Reviving this topic, I noticed when I tow my 6x10 V-nose enclosed trailer I get 10-11 but when I tow the 3 horse gooseneck I average 11 - 12.

Last edited by JohnD333; 08-22-2017 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-23-2017, 10:09 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.
It is not just how drive the truck but how you use it. I reset my meter after a tow trip where I got 12.3 one way and 10.8 coming back with a regen and altitude gain. I just went 5 miles for a fill up, then to pick up a take-out order and ended up with about 13.8. When I used to commute 70 miles daily, I got 20-21 at speeds ranging from 35-70.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:31 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by JohnD333 View Post
Wind resistance and wind turbulence kill mpg.

we all love tail winds, hate head winds for a big reason. We still can go 70, but mpg is very different loaded or unloaded.

turbulence - while a tow behind may be lower and lighter, the wind turbulence/drag is just about over the truck and hits new resistance from the tow behind. A 5er may be taller, but the wind sees it as one big drag, not two smaller ones that add up to about the same amount of drag. This is why there is sometimes a sweet spot for mpg that may or may not be a lower rpm.

Wind turbulence under the truck is why over the road trucks and your Ford has such a low wind damper under the bumper - it directs wind around the undercarriage where turbulence is the greatest.

the spoiler on the tailgate on the newer models helps drag too.

ever notice those funny things on the ends of airplane wings? Winglettes or spiroids? They reduce the drag by reducing wind turbulence as it passes over/under the wing.
Maybe you can help me. I've always had a work trailer in tow, it's 9' tall and weighs a lot (10-12k). I drive over 1,000 miles/week on average mostly 72mph.

I understand that directly behind my trailer is a huge low pressure area that creates tremendous drag. My thought is, to re direct air from the high pressure side (front) and turn it loose in the low pressure area, using some sort of duct work or spoilers around the tail of the trailer.

Would this help? Why hasn't anyone tried this? Am I just dumb? I'm not looking for 5mpg gains, just 1 or 2 would impact my cost per mile hugely.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:07 PM
Deuce40s
Elder User
Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.
Tractor trailers do it all the time, I'm not sure if it helps though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Economy

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: