6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Should I buy a truck with these mods?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 08:54 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Should I buy a truck with these mods?

My 7.3 bit the dust. I have been looking for a new truck which is a lot harder then I thought. Have tossed around a 6.0 or 6.4. Found a 6.4 that I like. It has the following Mods down:

2009 Ford F-250 Super Duty Lariat 4X4 SRW with the 6.4l diesel engine. 176,278 miles that are mostly highway. Crew cab long box with stainless steel tool box and tri-fold soft tonneau cover. The truck has been professionally deleted (egr gone egr coolers gone, and block off plates installed. All of the original parts are included in the sale. SCT Livewire TS+ tuner with 4 River City Diesel custom tunes. Tuner acts as a diagnostic reader and customizable gauge setup as well. This truck is in great shape - very clean and very well maintained. It runs and drives excellent. Always garage kept. No body rust and very little rust on the frame or underbody. It gets about 19mpg on the highway unloaded and about 14 mpg towing. Recently had all four shocks and steering stabilizer replaced with Bilstein 5100 series. New XRF heavy duty ball joints. New tie rod end. New hub seals and vacuum lines. Bypass coolant filter installed. Amsoil fluids throughout. I have some leftover Amsoil stock as well that will go with the truck. Amsoil transmission flush every 25,000 miles, most recent one just completed at a local shop. Electronic shift on the fly 4 wheel drive with manual lockers. Power leather heated seats.

Are these mods good ones to have. Truck looks to be taken care of extremely well. He bought it with 131,000 and currently has 176,000. With these mods and regular filter changes should I be able to get 300,000 miles out of the engine? Or is that a pipe dream? Would any of you buy a truck with this stuff done?

Old 07-19-2017, 09:11 PM
Picton
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everything considered...It sounds like a clean truck indeed. The mods are good ones to have.

Everything considered...There's just no way to know for sure. You never know how someone drove the truck before you...THAT is a big thing for me personally.

You may very well get 300k out of it. At the same time...it could take a dump on you a month from now. I've heard that the 6.4 motor can appear quite healthy at death's door.

Not trying to scare you away...it's just a rather impossible question to answer. Trust your gut and good luck man.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:11 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those are the mods to have - except..... those custom tunes would scare me away.

I bought my F450 bone stock with no mods, and no tunes - that tells me the truck was not at the drag strip every Friday night for beer money. Make an informed decision.

I really enjoy my 6.4L, once the torque converter locks up at 45 it can carry the mail. With 4:30 rear end running empty I get 14mpg @ 70mph, the F450 is 10,200 pounds with full tank of fuel and my dog.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:30 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My biggest fear with the 6.4L is that almost any procedure is cab off, until I realized and accepted that Ford designed it that way. So now I know, that any significant is probably going to require cab off and really that is not such a bad thing when you consider they designed it that way. Tons of YouTube for taking care of the basic maintenance, just educate yourself and understand that some things might be a little tight.

My ride has 142k and no issues, I feed it snake oil to lubricate the injectors and change fuel filters/oil/oil filter every 10k. I need 400k out of the truck because I can't afford a new ride.

My truck is setup for off-road racing as the DPF/DOC encountered a tragic boating accident, MiniMax to compensate in Tow mode. It always responds to either foot.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:31 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

I was told the tunes where just to basically get it to run without the def. Guy didn't look to be the hot rod type but you never know. I don't know if I should go that route or just buy a 6.0. I need a lot of miles out of this ride as well. My 7.3 died on my to early. Can't afford another one doing it to me.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:42 PM
Picton
Senior User
Originally Posted by Copper.Farm
...So now I know, that any significant is probably going to require cab off and really that is not such a bad thing when you consider they designed it that way.

Yeah...still wish they hadn't designed it that way though. Roughly $1,200 before you even begin acutal work on the issue.

My ride has 142k and no issues, I feed it snake oil to lubricate the injectors and change fuel filters/oil/oil filter every 10k. I need 400k out of the truck because I can't afford a new ride.

I'm with you here. Except I go oil/filter every 5k. Just giving another point of view.

My truck is setup for off-road racing as the DPF/DOC encountered a tragic boating accident,...

Lol. Nice.

Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406
I was told the tunes where just to basically get it to run without the def. Guy didn't look to be the hot rod type but you never know. I don't know if I should go that route or just buy a 6.0. I need a lot of miles out of this ride as well. My 7.3 died on my to early. Can't afford another one doing it to me.
I guess repairing the old 7.3 was out of the question? Regarding the 6.4 and the tunes...If what he said is true that's not a bad thing at all.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:43 PM
jimh425
Senior User
The mods are fine. I don't know the price though. Is it good? Custom tunes aren't a worry for me. People can drive stock trucks too hard.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:55 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Just in from the garage pulling the rad outta my 08 6.4.

I'm sorry you lost your 7.3!

Mine is still perking but I bought an 08 to be a someday.

I was intimidated after popping the hood of the 6.4 but to be honest. Felt that way on the 7.3 16 years ago when I bucked for it.

After the compressor fired and the tunes went on, I really felt at home working on it.

They are tight to work on but you just have to get around that.

The rads out, EGR cooler delete and new therms are next. Hoses are done. I will be putting in the mish coolant filter (dirt cheap) just because it's dry and that should seal the deal.

I have 117 on the clock and this thing turns circles around my 7.3 all day long.

I wouldn't be afraid of the mods or the engine. I know you from the 7.3 forum and your no daisy as far as "what if" goes.

BTW, you can throw away your ear plugs and order a to go meal in this rig!

Good to hear from you. Think it out! Lots of fish in the........ya know.

Denny

Old 07-19-2017, 10:06 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Picton
I guess repairing the old 7.3 was out of the question? Regarding the 6.4 and the tunes...If what he said is true that's not a bad thing at all.

It was a new motor scenario. The truck has 300,000 on it and it 18 years old. So I am thinking on trying to get the newest truck I can afford.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:07 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by DieselDenny
Just in from the garage pulling the rad outta my 08 6.4.

I'm sorry you lost your 7.3!

Mine is still perking but I bought an 08 to be a someday.

I was intimidated after popping the hood of the 6.4 but to be honest. Felt that way on the 7.3 16 years ago when I bucked for it.

After the compressor fired and the tunes went on, I really felt at home working on it.

They are tight to work on but you just have to get around that.

The rads out, EGR cooler delete and new therms are next. Hoses are done. I will be putting in the mish coolant filter (dirt cheap) just because it's dry and that should seal the deal.

I have 117 on the clock and this thing turns circles around my 7.3 all day long.

I wouldn't be afraid of the mods or the engine. I know you from the 7.3 forum and your no daisy as far as "what if" goes.

BTW, you can throw away your ear plugs and order a to go meal in this rig!

Good to hear from you. Think it out! Lots of fish in the........ya know.

Denny

Not afraid to work on stuff. Just don't want to be working on it all the time. Are the 6.4 parts more expensive since they were only used for 2 years?

Old 07-19-2017, 10:14 PM
Picton
Senior User
...Are the 6.4 parts more expensive since they were only used for 2 years?
Yes. Also because International/Navistar still have their hand in the cookie jar on parts for the 6.4.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:47 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
check maint done against the maint schedule

Maintenance Schedules | fleet.ford.com

Old 07-20-2017, 08:46 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by jimh425
The mods are fine. I don't know the price though. Is it good? Custom tunes aren't a worry for me. People can drive stock trucks too hard.

They are asking $18,900. But I am not gonna pay that much

Old 07-21-2017, 07:41 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Well. Wish me luck. I took the plunge. I hope it goes well for me. The guy took very good care of it. Hope it takes good care of me.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:10 PM
Picton
Senior User
Well. Wish me luck. I took the plunge. I hope it goes well for me. The guy took very good care of it. Hope it takes good care of me.
Dude...the long legs on that girl are hot as hell. That truck looks like one of the main battle ships of the line at Trafalgar. "Fine like wine."...is how that truck looks my friend. I know there will now be many instances in the near future where you walk outside for no reason to take a peek at the USS (Insert last name here) and achieve full erection. I hope it gives you many trouble free miles. Respect it...and it will respect you.

Picture sharing time......GO! USS Jackson pictured below...AKA..."Call sign foxtrot two five zero." Also......(4) aux switches currently linked to nothing......f*#k yeah.

Quick Reply: Should I buy a truck with these mods?