Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stay Puft's Eulogy

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 01:40 PM
Romanova
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you going to try and determine the cause of the brake failure? Sudden and complete loss of brakes sounds like a line blew out. Had that happen before and it is a scary feeling, certainly amplified by the weight and momentum an Excursion has while in motion.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:16 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Romanova
Sudden and complete loss of brakes sounds like a line blew out.
My thoughts exactly. OHIO truck for several years...

Old 07-21-2017, 02:19 PM
BBFarms
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering I just got mine from Ohio, I'll be checking all brake related components and most likely replacing most, if not all, of them.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:22 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I wasn't really looking when I crawled out of it, but the driver front frame rail was very wet, as was the tire, wheel, and related components. Not saying that's where the failure was as the steering fluid is right there as well, but it certainly wasn't red fluid everywhere... so I think it's a safe bet. The master cylinder was still capped and sealed off when I visited yesterday in the scrap yard. Too hot and in too much pain to crawl around and play super sleuth.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:26 PM
Romanova
Senior User
Out of curiosity, were you running OEM original lines, aftermarket rubber replacement lines, or SS lines?

Old 07-21-2017, 03:25 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 216 Likes on 145 Posts
Man I hate it for the Ex but you survived.

If you had been in the Chevelle it would not have been as pretty. The seat belts in our old cars suck, they don't have good crumple zones and are not very roof strong. Vehicles have come a long ways since the early 70's.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:30 PM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mecdac
No
Hey, I am game for a run next time I am in town

Originally Posted by Apocalypse
Nope. Until you run against me I'm faster than you
Don't kid yourself.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:21 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Romanova
Out of curiosity, were you running OEM original lines, aftermarket rubber replacement lines, or SS lines?
It wasn't a flex line failure, that much I know for certain. Fluid was nowhere near the wheels or soft lines and instead dripping down the frame rails, at least what was left of it. The soft lines and wheel areas were dry.

Originally Posted by Excurvelle
Man I hate it for the Ex but you survived.

If you had been in the Chevelle it would not have been as pretty. The seat belts in our old cars suck, they don't have good crumple zones and are not very roof strong. Vehicles have come a long ways since the early 70's.
I agree wholeheartedly, and the heartbreak would have been ten-fold. I'm halfway debating not getting a replacement for the X, and getting a cheapo beater pickup. If we have to take two vehicles to get somewhere as a family so be it. Beater means parts runs and transport are easy, cheap to operate, and the Chevelle would get a go-hard final build. New(er) buckets, street cage, modern restraints, etc. Back to daily driver status, including Vintage Air, etc.

The adjuster finished his check over today and the X is off to the body shop for an official price to repair so it can be totaled out. Then I'll know pay off, buy back price, etc.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:42 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 831 Likes on 571 Posts
Originally Posted by BBFarms
Considering I just got mine from Ohio, I'll be checking all brake related components and most likely replacing most, if not all, of them.

Pay VERY close attention to anywhere the hard lines pass through the plastic clips on the frame, that's where the salt likes to hang around and do it's evil work the most.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:17 PM
ToolmakerRob
Laughing Gas
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts
Matt,

Sorry to see what happened to your Excursion. Good to hear you are alright. Must have been a hell of a ride. I was in a head on collision once with a 1998 Olds 88 with my 1986 F250 4x4 extended cab at 60 MPH and it saved my ***. If I can find an old photo(pre digital days) I will post it.

I would have crocodile tears if my Excursion was in a wreck.

To everyone-I wholeheartedly agree with WE3ZS-check all lines very carefully. I just replaced my rear flex lines with Russell stainless braided ones and ended up replacing all of the back steel lines. Wherever a line went through a plastic clip there was a TON of rust and I would suspect that they were ready to rupture. I still need to do the front flexlines but plan on changing any steel parts as well. It also gave me the excuse to replace the brake fluid also.

Rob

Rob

Old 07-22-2017, 04:58 PM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Glad to see you made it through ok. Bummer to see another one go the salvage yard.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:45 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by fordboy2
Bummer to see another one go the salvage yard.
Maybe...maybe not!

Stewart

Old 07-22-2017, 11:10 PM
Pwrgeek
Senior User
This thread just moved my e brake repair to the top of the priority list. Had been one of those "I've got the parts and I'll get to it someday" now it's getting done at the next oil change. Sorry for your loss but glad you're okay.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:58 AM
Stebs
Elder User
Originally Posted by Pwrgeek
This thread just moved my e brake repair to the top of the priority list. Had been one of those "I've got the parts and I'll get to it someday" now it's getting done at the next oil change. Sorry for your loss but glad you're okay.
I know the feeling. I had only been keeping mine at about a half tank because I wanted to drop it and do hutch mod and brake lines all in 1 shot. Then the other I find diesel for 2.12 and said screw it and filled up, and then this thread came out... guess I better start ordering parts..

Sorry for the loss Matt. Your incident gave me chills. Not sure I woulda had the ***** to aim for a hill like you did.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:31 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by ToolmakerRob
I would have crocodile tears if my Excursion was in a wreck.
I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant. You should google that and learn what it means.

Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Maybe...maybe not!

Stewart
You planning on hammering that roof out like this?

Quick Reply: Stay Puft's Eulogy