Sponsored by: Moser

EPAS failure looming

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 03:33 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by WXboy
And yet, Ram and GM both have better highway MPG numbers.

Ford needs to stop using us as test rats and stick to what's tried and true.

I will say that in the real world, when I compare my current F150 to my Silverados, Rams, etc. before it...this F150 is pretty much right in the middle of the pack. I do not see any fuel advantage whatsoever.
And just a few months ago you were bragging about your superior MPG's. The GM and the Ram won't do the work of the F-150. If you disagree then go buy one.

The OP, a very well respected member here has an issue and people get spooked or pissed. Either way lets be smart here. Millions of these trucks have been built with EPAS. Apparently it's not an epidemic yet though some have had the misfortune of a failure.

It seems to me that an EPAS failure is about as common as a turbo failure on a 3.5L ecoboost. Yes, it's happened and will continue to happen but it's not chronic.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:39 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brokenleg
The only F150 that doesn't have EPAS is the 6.2 F150.
Thanks brokenleg. I was going to check mine tomorrow. Seeing how over 700,000 F150s were produced domestically in 2013, I am not going to worry about it.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:42 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
OP, sorry to hear of your luck, or lack thereof. Definitely replace the battery, because your alternator also cycles on and off and a weak battery can cause odd symptoms as a result.

Also, I still love how you guys argue...and how one report of an issue on the forum = pandemic.

Drive on!!

Old 07-26-2017, 09:32 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 341 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
And just a few months ago you were bragging about your superior MPG's. The GM and the Ram won't do the work of the F-150. If you disagree then go buy one.

The OP, a very well respected member here has an issue and people get spooked or pissed. Either way lets be smart here. Millions of these trucks have been built with EPAS. Apparently it's not an epidemic yet though some have had the misfortune of a failure.

It seems to me that an EPAS failure is about as common as a turbo failure on a 3.5L ecoboost. Yes, it's happened and will continue to happen but it's not chronic.
Was I? Superior MPGs compared to what?

I never said I wish I had a GM or Ram truck. Never said that at all. I'm just pointing out facts. Ford saddles their truck with totally unnecessary technology that does nothing for fuel economy but adds cost and complexity and reduces reliability. The countless threads on failures of engines, front hubs, steering, electrical systems, etc. are proof enough.

Is the steering failure epidemic? Maybe, maybe not. But for each person it happens to, it's a $2,000 repair that hurts really bad and could have easily been avoided by the manufacturer. For many people, it will actually sideline the truck. Not everyone has a huge savings account set aside for issues like this.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:10 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I never said I wish I had a GM or Ram truck. Never said that at all. I'm just pointing out facts. Ford saddles their truck with totally unnecessary technology that does nothing for fuel economy but adds cost and complexity and reduces reliability. The countless threads on failures of engines, front hubs, steering, electrical systems, etc. are proof enough.

Is the steering failure epidemic? Maybe, maybe not. But for each person it happens to, it's a $2,000 repair that hurts really bad and could have easily been avoided by the manufacturer. For many people, it will actually sideline the truck. Not everyone has a huge savings account set aside for issues like this.
I would not worry about it. Most of them will not give trouble. A few will fail. But if you're works ok, drive it

Old 07-26-2017, 08:56 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my pain the forums entertaining responses everyone's gain. Well I did replace the battery yesterday was fine but again this morning same thing actually turned off the truck completely while waiting at a stop light and it reset itself. Also been getting a slight smell at start up thru vents kinda like burnt plastic maybe but not really strong and seems to disappear after a bit, seems like evaporator coils possibly from what I've read but maybe it is connected to EPAS problem. I'm not bashing Ford as many seem to get a lil bit defensive of their truck if potential problems are pointed out hopefully your truck is one that'll never see an issue in its early years of life unlike mine and many others. If this truck were 10 years old with 100k miles it'd be a different story it's not it's 4 years old with under 55k miles. To be continued

Old 07-27-2017, 02:39 AM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by CuNmUdF250
my pain the forums entertaining responses everyone's gain. Well I did replace the battery yesterday was fine but again this morning same thing actually turned off the truck completely while waiting at a stop light and it reset itself. Also been getting a slight smell at start up thru vents kinda like burnt plastic maybe but not really strong and seems to disappear after a bit, seems like evaporator coils possibly from what I've read but maybe it is connected to EPAS problem. I'm not bashing Ford as many seem to get a lil bit defensive of their truck if potential problems are pointed out hopefully your truck is one that'll never see an issue in its early years of life unlike mine and many others. If this truck were 10 years old with 100k miles it'd be a different story it's not it's 4 years old with under 55k miles. To be continued
it sucks that you are having problems with your EPAS....... I think it's was just your luck.. I would not be afraid to buy a truck with EPAS....As long is was ok when I buy it

Old 07-27-2017, 05:49 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...our-5-0-a.html

This isn't an MPG thread but you seem to be a fan of these trucks till someone has an issue. I get that we can all get a bit spooked or even pissed when these things happen. In my mind, there's no excuse. The MPG's and power gained from EPAS is instantly negated by a replacement of that unit.

Typically you're banging all over the ecobosst issues but the EPAS is something that could very well affect all of us except for the 6.2L trucks.

I ain't mad at ya, just making a point that sometimes a very well respected member of our community has a bad luck story to share and the thread turns into a Ford bashing event.

A $2000 non driveline repair is an awfully big hit, especially as these trucks age. One has to wonder if the truck is worth fixing. Well,, it's worth fixing to someone, perhaps even the OP but I would have to thing long and hard before I dropped my account by $2000 or loaded my CC up by $2000 for a 6 year old truck.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:28 AM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm still a Ford guy, not sure what's gonna go down with this situation. I was kinda hoping to see what the new Bronco was gonna be but that is to far away, the new Superduty is on my radar but they want to much for em new imo but not sure I can wait for the slightly used 2017 Superduty market to build up. Keeping it is still a viable option as repairing is still the cheapest outcome vs buying something else. We'll see

Old 07-28-2017, 05:19 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by CuNmUdF250
I'm still a Ford guy, not sure what's gonna go down with this situation. I was kinda hoping to see what the new Bronco was gonna be but that is to far away, the new Superduty is on my radar but they want to much for em new imo but not sure I can wait for the slightly used 2017 Superduty market to build up. Keeping it is still a viable option as repairing is still the cheapest outcome vs buying something else. We'll see
Wondering if these EPAS units are different for 4x4 and 4x2 trucks. Also, what about the salvage yards, possible to get a used one?

Old 07-28-2017, 05:22 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
There really can't be too much of a problem overall. I think my 2016 Taurus has EPAS too. I'd try a junk yard as well, good idea.

You will need an alignment once the new one or used one is put on.