Considering selling my 2017 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2017 Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering selling my 2017

Old 07-16-2017, 09:32 PM
Senior User

wfedwar is starting off with a positive reputation.
Considering selling my 2017

So I'm pretty new to the super duty world. I looked at super duty trucks for a long time and finally bought a 2017 f350 6.7. I really like the truck. I don't really need it though. (more on that in a minute) Plus, it seems like an awful lot of people have had problems with theirs and warranty work is sometimes apparently not covered like you might think. I'll be honest, I'm not used to that. My previous vehicles (gas engines, all of them) were almost 100% problem free. I'm talking 200-300k miles with no issues other than parts you expect to wear out. The exceptions to this were both Fords. One a mustang, one an f150. Neither of those had big problems, and they were problem I could fix myself. I do worry that I'm in over my head with the potential failures and costs for repairs. I never would have imagined that bad fuel one time could result in a $12k bill that isn't covered by warranty. Back to why I don't NEED the truck. I don't tow much. When I do, it's light trailers. Maybe a small pontoon would be the biggest thing I'd tow. So now I'm feeling like I probably made a mistake by buying the truck, and I'd like to resolve that before I go too much further into this. Without getting into what I'd replace it with, do you think I made a mistake? Anyone been in this boat before?
Old 07-16-2017, 09:45 PM
Postmaster

mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.
Once your registered, off the lot, it's a used vehicle you will take a bath.

Warranty covers parts and the truck. Bad fuel is not a repair, it's an insurance claim, only buy fuel from high volume reputable sellers. If your in a pinch, make darn sure you keep recipes. In fact, better still, use a credit card and have the recipes and the statement.

There are some folks having bad experiences, but that doesn't mean that you will. Everyone feels like this on occasion, just be careful to do the correct services, buy good fuel, monitor the water separator for the rule.

Enjoy your truck, do your diligence whoever there is work, and don't be afraid to document issues with your dealer, it's important to get them on the record if you have any.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:50 PM
Senior User

BowtieConvert is starting off with a positive reputation.
I was pissed when my transmission burned up due to the defective fittings on the cooler lines or whatever the problem was. I talked to the dealer and they weren't doing me any favors on trading it a new one. I think I had about 5K miles and I was floored on how little it was worth on a trade (Lariat Ultimate, FX4, 6.7, LED's, Ultimate Tow Cameras, Chrome 20's, etc...). I guess all that fancy shiz loses its value pretty quick. Unfortunately you may be in the same boat. That being said, you may find a buyer at a price that wont sting you too bad. What are the specifics on your truck? Good luck.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:54 PM
Senior User

Lariat f350, Fx4, chrome package... Kbb says 49-55k, so I'm not upside down... Pretty much lost the value of my last trade though.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:06 PM
Junior User

Blue6.2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfedwar View Post
So I'm pretty new to the super duty world. I looked at super duty trucks for a long time and finally bought a 2017 f350 6.7. I really like the truck. I don't really need it though. (more on that in a minute) Plus, it seems like an awful lot of people have had problems with theirs and warranty work is sometimes apparently not covered like you might think. I'll be honest, I'm not used to that. My previous vehicles (gas engines, all of them) were almost 100% problem free. I'm talking 200-300k miles with no issues other than parts you expect to wear out. The exceptions to this were both Fords. One a mustang, one an f150. Neither of those had big problems, and they were problem I could fix myself. I do worry that I'm in over my head with the potential failures and costs for repairs. I never would have imagined that bad fuel one time could result in a $12k bill that isn't covered by warranty. Back to why I don't NEED the truck. I don't tow much. When I do, it's light trailers. Maybe a small pontoon would be the biggest thing I'd tow. So now I'm feeling like I probably made a mistake by buying the truck, and I'd like to resolve that before I go too much further into this. Without getting into what I'd replace it with, do you think I made a mistake? Anyone been in this boat before?
I've been there, I traded my 2013 ram 2500 with the 6.7 cummins in on my 2017 f250 with the 6.2. My ram had a little over 50k miles and I had already experienced a few problems and was left stranded twice. I've never had any issues with gas. I got pissed and traded it in and although I lost a little money I absolutely love my new truck and the 6.2 has a reputation for being problem free, so the piece of mind was worth the loss for me.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:06 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoefer View Post
Once your registered, off the lot, it's a used vehicle you will take a bath.

Warranty covers parts and the truck. Bad fuel is not a repair, it's an insurance claim, only buy fuel from high volume reputable sellers.
Yeah, I know the value drops a lot off the lot. I'm factoring that into my decision. What do you mean that bad fuel is an insurance claim? I dont think my policy covers bad gas, but maybe it does. I see nothing about it in the policy... Comprehensive I would think? The way others talk, they had to pay it themselves.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:16 PM
Elder User

RJC2 has a good reputation on FTE.RJC2 has a good reputation on FTE.
Some Insurance Companies do cover fuel system repairs for diesels. You'll want to check yours to verify this.
You've probably got a mild case of buyers remorse. When spending this much on a pickup truck, its rather normal. ( I had to question my own sanity after spending north of $70K on a pickup truck!) The chances of getting bad fuel are about the same as getting hit by lightning.
You'll get just as much out of your truck a year from now, so enjoy it a while and quit worrying.
Give it a month, it'll pass.
The instances where people have water in their fuel that does damage is often avoidable by proper maintenance. If you train yourself to take 10 minutes out of your life to drain your water separator on the 1st of every month, you'll be making the odds of having problems negligible.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:18 PM
Junior User

Smoking Joe is starting off with a positive reputation.
So, you are considering selling a brand new truck because someone (or several someones) on the INTERNET reported a problem they had?

Um...i don't get it. But I'd just learn how to avoid "their" problem(s). And keep the truck.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:21 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking Joe View Post
So, you are considering selling a brand new truck because someone (or several someones) on the INTERNET reported a problem they had?
well, internet and real life...
Old 07-16-2017, 10:24 PM
Senior User

BTW... I meant the bad fuel issue to be an example, not really the only thing that can go wrong. It does seem like the fuel systems are prone to issues and very expensive.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:26 PM
Junior User

KCJackson1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfedwar View Post
Yeah, I know the value drops a lot off the lot. I'm factoring that into my decision. What do you mean that bad fuel is an insurance claim? I dont think my policy covers bad gas, but maybe it does. I see nothing about it in the policy... Comprehensive I would think? The way others talk, they had to pay it themselves.
If the station had bad diesel fuel, you can file a claim against them to cover any needed repairs to your truck... same thing if you buy bad unleaded gasoline (usually water, dirt, or chemical contamination in the station's storage tank). If you are at a full-serve station where attendants do the pumping and they make the mistake of putting gasoline in your diesel truck or vice versa, that's also a claim. In that case, you don't even start the engine - have the truck towed right from the spot it stands. Conversely, if you put the wrong fuel in your truck, that's 100% on you.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:33 PM
Senior User

AbitaPro is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've seen members go up to a 2017 or 2016 Super Duty after having bought a new F-150, and also read of a least one going back to an F-150, after having bought a new 2017 Super Duty.

If your not happy, or have a gut feeling you want to get out of your new Super Duty, your going to loose some/lots cash. But if that's your gut talking to you, I'd listen.

Education is expensive! Good luck to you.....
Old 07-16-2017, 11:35 PM
Posting Guru

CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.
Not worth the stress sell it someone will appreciate the discount and then start over in a gas Superduty or an F150...hell sounds like if you buy off of need you might wanna wait for the new Ranger coming out.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:55 PM
Junior User

willynilly is starting off with a positive reputation.
a modern gas v8 would pull that boat easy. trading in a new truck is a expensive decision but you gotta do what you gotta do. ive done the same thing to be happy. you might look into selling it but you might lose the tax credit when you pay sales tax on the next new vehicle. youll just have to do the math and see what option will hit your wallet the least
Old 07-17-2017, 12:13 AM
Senior User

SBC is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wouldn't bad diesel have to make it through two fuel filters? Seems like it should be covered under warranty if the filters don't do anything.