2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Considering selling my 2017

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 02:33 AM
flaharleyguy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went back to gas

wfedwar I was were you are when I bought a new 6.7 back in 2012. Worst decision ever that I made. Nothing but CEL's, limp modes . constant regen's. I took a bath getting rid of it and went back to gas ( always Ford ). I need a larger truck for race car trailer towing. Went to 2017 6.2 gas 250 4.30 this time. I think the 6.7 is too much trouble and expense in particular in the long haul IMO the repair costs will be huge. The biggest issue I saw was compliance problems with new Federal emissions.DEF is a real problem. Anyway no more diesel for this Ford guy. Good luck with your decision.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:29 AM
K A M
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Think of this. Out of all your hearing bad it's only a small percentage having problems that are being fixed. Your not hearing about all the good trucks. Think how many are being sold. How many have purchased diesel again because they know to buy from high volume fuel stations to guarantee getting fresh clean fuel. I go to truck stops and high volume places. I don't go to the stop-n-rob who only sells 20 gallons of diesel a day because it's .10¢ cheaper. I'm going to where 18 wheelers are buying 400 gallons at a time. Now to the trade in because your worried of a potential $10,000 engine damage that's probably never going to happen if you take in a remember all what your reading on all the comments. The minute you go trade that diesel in on another truck you just took a $10,000 hit on depreciation value. So you don't win on trying to save money that way. It will be all right just learn where to get fuel and keep up on your PM.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:46 AM
wfedwar
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by K A M
Now to the trade in because your worried of a potential $10,000 engine damage that's probably never going to happen if you take in a remember all what your reading on all the comments. The minute you go trade that diesel in on another truck you just took a $10,000 hit on depreciation value. So you don't win on trying to save money that way.
This is what I was thinking about, too. Just disconcerting to hear all the trouble people have had both on the internet and also local people. The local guys it wasn't water (at least that they spoke of), just pumps and injectors that seemed to wear out quickly. Maybe that is a product of the ULSD? With B20 becoming very common now, I wonder if that is still as much of an issue. I know where to get good diesel and I stick to those stations. I also carry Stanadyne for the case where I need to fill up and it's not labeled B20.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:27 AM
tonyxit
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went through this a few months ago....your $10 K is already gone on paper...bite the bullet and get what you want... I did and am glad to have it behind me....

Old 07-17-2017, 09:00 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,667 Likes on 2,740 Posts
This is my first truck larger than a 1/2 ton and my first diesel. I looked at the 6.7 forum on this site and was pleasantly surprised at how few problems that engine has had over the past 5 years. My brother is a certified transmission tech for GM. He's a GM fanboy, always praising the Allison transmission. I see few problems with the 6r140 on this site. I think I bought into a very solid and reliable platform.

I've had my F-350 since January and it has been a joy to drive - I still get a grin when that diesel starts up. I have yet to need any regular maintenance (not enough miles) and it hasn't been back to the dealer for anything.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:16 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Keep it till the warranty runs out, you'll minimize both your loss compared to the value you got from use and limit your exposure to risk. Ford's warranty is pretty good. Warranty has never been designed to cover environmental risks, that is what insurance is for, and sure, it pays to know what coverage you have.

All that being said, I generally suggest most folks go with the gas trucks as they do what most people want and then some. Some folks like getting a diesel just because and that's fine, but it doesn't make it good advice.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:24 AM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
If you are worried about issues, then sell the truck. My truck has 14,000 miles and has been flawless, not one bit worried about this truck.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:32 AM
k7lvo
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I put 60,000 miles on a '14 6.7, and I've got 7,000 on my '17. Zero problems on either one. (I thought I had a problem with Sync on my '14, but it turned out to be a USB charger I was using.)

Old 07-17-2017, 09:43 AM
RugbyRef
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to be disrespectful, but it sounds to me like you have "buyers remorse", which is not uncommon. KAM was right on the money...the input you're getting about bad things happening to peoples trucks is negligible compared to all of the trucks that have been purchased that are operating just fine. Most people post issues about their trucks because they are trying to find a solution. I think we are naturally drawn to those posts because:

A. We might have a similar issue and want to know what the fix might be; or
B. Morbid curiosity

Unfortunately, the few folks who post something like "GOSH...I LOVE MY TRUCK AND HERE'S WHY!", probably don't get a ton of feedback or views (unless you're EPICCOWLICK...that's a man who's glass is always half full!).

I have never owned a gasser for a truck, so I can't honestly compare between the two (diesel vs. gas). All of my cars are gas though, but I don't pull anything with those.

I say hang in there with it. I believe you won't be disappointed.

Cheers!

Tim

Old 07-17-2017, 09:54 AM
RJC2
Laughing Gas
I would use additives with great caution. Some (I don't know about the one you're using) are emulsifiers that allow water to pass through the system. This is deadly to our trucks.
Many guys just stick with the Motorcraft PM-22 for winter and PM-23 for summer. Ford can't beef with you using their product, but they sure have given people a hard time for not using them.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:05 AM
wfedwar
Elder User
I appreciate the input from everyone. I think what I'll do is continue to drive the truck and hopefully I'll get a little more comfortable with it. I really like the truck as it is...I just hope it stays together. I can keep up with maintenance. In my past life, I rebuilt engines and rear ends myself when they needed to be rebuilt. Those cars were simpler. I don't know anybody who can work on a 6.7 at their house...

Old 07-17-2017, 10:12 AM
LOWRPMTORQUE
Senior User
Have you contacted any dealers to see what they would be willing to pay for the truck? How many miles? What was the msrp? 49k seems low. Get some offers from local dealers, if you don't like the numbers then retail it yourself.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:21 AM
wfedwar
Elder User
Originally Posted by RJC2
I would use additives with great caution. Some (I don't know about the one you're using) are emulsifiers that allow water to pass through the system. This is deadly to our trucks.
Many guys just stick with the Motorcraft PM-22 for winter and PM-23 for summer. Ford can't beef with you using their product, but they sure have given people a hard time for not using them.
Stanadyne is a demulsifier, so it plays nice with the water separator. Ford used to recommend Stanadyne by name, presumably before they had thier own additive. Ford specifically states not to use an additive with alcohol, and Stanadyne contains no alcohol.

Power Service are the ones that I think in general should be avoided. Some of these (I think the one in the silver bottle might actually be OK--but I avoid the company entirely) are emulsifiers, so they cause water to penetrate the separator.

Didn't mean for the thread to be about additives, just wanted to clarify.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:27 AM
wfedwar
Elder User
Originally Posted by LOWRPMTORQUE
Have you contacted any dealers to see what they would be willing to pay for the truck? How many miles? What was the msrp? 49k seems low. Get some offers from local dealers, if you don't like the numbers then retail it yourself.
Nope. I sortof expect to get hosed if I go forward and try to swap it for something else.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:52 AM
johnnich33
Junior User
So, you're going to take a $10-15k bath trading your truck in to prevent yourself from spending $12k on a possible, but rare fuel system repair or whatever other repair? Enjoy the truck and don't look back. Do the proper maintenance and and your regrets will fade.

Quick Reply: Considering selling my 2017