Bronco II Ford Bronco II

I'm in,,with a 84 Bronco II

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 07:02 AM
Ilike55s
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in,,with a 84 Bronco II

Hello Everybody,,I just got an 84 Bronco II with the 2.8, standard trans (4sp or 5?) 4X4 with A/C. It has been parked since 1999 due to the transmission locked in reverse, PO removed the shifter boot, couldn't figure out anything and left it like that. The odometer shows 85,000 and PO claims numbers are legit.Interior is pretty good for its age but headliner is trying to come down. Here are my plans and wish to get some suggestions from the pros here,,,,
1. Since all 4 tires are ruined from setting so long, I would like to install some tires/wheels from my 2000 F150 that are 17" with 5 on 5.5". I see some "conversion adapters" on Ebay for 5 on 4.5 to 5 on 5" but none for the 5.5 wheels. Has anybody here done this,,??
2. When removing the right front tire, the "axle cover" that says 4X4 came off with the wheel,,?? I fit it back on and noticed some spring tension to get it on all the way. Shouldn't this "cover" be bolted to the hub??
3. Hoping the tranny has a top cover for checking what "stuck in reverse issue" might be. Any suggestions,,??
4. I did a search here on the BII's and see where the feedback carb might be an issue and some here changed theirs out to another carb but did not mention off what engine or what,?? Suppossedly engine ran fine when parked (where have I heard THAT one before?) Will pull all plugs in the mornin and squirt some ATF to soak the rings till I'm ready to put a spark in it. A/C still has pressure at shraeder valve although I'm pretty sure it is the old R12.
Any help on these questions (plus prolly many others coming) will be GREATLY appreciated. Many Thanks,,,,,,,

Old 07-21-2017, 06:03 AM
Ilike55s
New User
Hello,,,Hello,,,,anybody there,,,???? Sure looking for some help,,,,,,

Old 07-29-2017, 10:50 PM
dirtcowboy
Freshman User
Well let's see..
1. I'm pretty sure the offset on newer F150 wheel will preclude using them on an old BII. I would just get some 235x15 to use for now.
2. The BII's and Rangers of the time used the "top hat" style hubs on the Dana 28. A popular and worthwhile upgrade is a Dana 35 from a 92-94 Explorer, bolt on goodness.
3. If you can't see a cover thru where the boot used to be, most manuals had a bottom cover.
4. Got to therangerstation.com and look in the tech articles for the "duraspark" conversion. It's been awhile since I did one but basically it's the carb, dist etc from and old Pinto or Mustang II, believe it or don't but these parts are readily available from Napa etc.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:48 AM
Ilike55s
New User
Hey DirtCowboy, Yeah, I downloaded a GREAT article on the Duraspark conversion from "THERANGERSTATION",,great article,,!!!
I am in process of locating all the parts-pieces now. I have a 2150 coming from a frien in Iowa and a distributor with harness out of a 1978 Mustang II from another place. I'm still trying to get this thing running BEFORE I strip out the existing but,,,when them dang thieves stole all that stuff,,they cut the wires and the wiring diagram in The Chiltons Manual I bought does NOT show the same color wires I got on the trk.
Right now, I got the starter, starter solenoid, and the ignition coil replaced but there is NO 12VDC getting to the ignition key or dash board,,no lights, no radio,,nothin!! I found some more wires cut in the area of the coil,,,Is there susspossed to be an Ignition (Brainbox) Module at this location?
What's weird here is,,there 2 orange 16 ga wires with a fusible link, plus 2 Black W/ orange 14 ga. wires,,, plus 1 yellow W/ green 18 ga. wire coming thru firewall and they all go into a black MOLDED plastic thingie bout 1" long and 1/2" dia,,BUT there are NO WIRES coming thru the end of this molded thing,,????? WTH,,??? the end of this thingie does NOT look like it was cut, tho,,??? There is also another black W/ orange wire 14 ga. by itself right there. Very puzzling bout thet black molded with all those heavy wires goin INTO it but do not come out the other end,,,????
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated,

Old 08-11-2017, 01:22 PM
Ilike55s
New User
Hey DirtCowboy,,,,You ARE the guy I been lookin for,,,!!!! I downloaded the article and followed everything and now have all the hoses and wires hangin over the passenger fender,,,BUT,,the article pretty much ends there and it does NOT tell you what to do with all these wires,,,!! WTH,,??
I followed thet big harness down the pass fender to a place behind the kick panel and what looks like a,,a silver "thing" (3 letters starts with an E and ends with an A) ,,,,not wantin a G-man lookin for me just yet,,,LOL.
Can you fill me in,??? Many thanks

Old 08-12-2017, 04:41 PM
dirtcowboy
Freshman User
Ford Ranger 2.8L Duraspark Conversion

This is the tutorial I used, it has all of the info, and links, you need. There are only a couple of wires that need to be moved. If the PO, or whoever, has chopped wires, I'm at a loss. There are links on that page to wiring diagrams, they don't apply? Good luck.

As an aside, I have an '85 pre FI BII that I put a 302 in. I bought an American Autowire kit and replaced all of the stock wiring.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:07 PM
Ilike55s
New User
Hey DirtCowboy,,,thanks for hangin in there with me,,,that is the very same article I have and it doesn't tell me what to do with all them wires hoses I got hangin off the pass fender,,,,?? Did you take that wiring harness out back to the ECM lookin thing at pass kickpanel,,,????

Old 08-30-2017, 10:59 PM
dirtcowboy
Freshman User
Sorry for the delay but cutting fire lines with a dozer pays way better than this! Re read the article, get this thing running, described in the article, then get rid of the extry wires!