Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Hpfp going out maybe?

Old 07-15-2017, 08:45 PM
79sparky
Senior User
79sparky is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hpfp going out maybe?

Hey guys trucks been giving fits. It seems to lope when driving it had shut off a few times then started back up after sitting a little while. Today it stalled in reverse. Oboe code I saw was for about power being restricted Brevard of low fuel level, I want driving it then so idk if it was from them running truck to low on fuel or if that's a key to the problem. Now if you put the truck into drive with for on the brake and give it fuel it lopes real bad and wants to stall out, and the fuel rail pressure goes everywhere. If you give it throttle in park it's fine. Fuel filters just changed with the oil today. Thanks.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:46 PM
79sparky
Senior User
Tuned with gearbox electron dpfr+ tune installed

Old 07-16-2017, 10:24 AM
79sparky
Senior User
Played with it more today it seems with the higher tunes is worse and the best is when it's taken back to factory. Ran through with my scan tool and cannot find any faults though I haven't been able to really drive it. Opened the Schrader valve with engine running and it was more or less a trickle. And key on engine off it was barely a good stream. With that said i have to get my gauge back tomorrow but from what I've found by looking at specs on factory replacement lpfp's the fuel stream coming out key on engine off is definitely no 24 psi. I had a 9 to 11 psi facet pump on my idi that threw more fuel than that and they are also about the same gpm rating. Seems to me like that could cause the issue I'm having it idles done in park but as soon as you load up the engine it wants to stall. And it's worse with higher tires that would be requiring more fuel. I'm just spit balling here. Comments are appreciated I know there is a 6.4 fuel system guru on this site somewhere

Old 07-17-2017, 01:56 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
are the filters clogged
are there metal particles in the filter

how do you know its not a turbo failure problem

Old 07-17-2017, 02:36 PM
79sparky
Senior User
Originally Posted by speakerfritz View Post
are the filters clogged
are there metal particles in the filter

how do you know its not a turbo failure problem
Filters are new no metal, and no I don't for sure but the goal stream was weak so I'm f going to do a feel pressure test on the supply fuel line and I know electric fuel pumps can get weak they don't neccissarily always just die, plus it's not monitored by the pcm and i'm not being any fault codes, but you think a turbo problem could cause that? I mean just trying to die when ever you put a load on the engine once never personally experienced a turbo problem like that mostly what I've seen from vgt turbos is the vgt just stop working and either be so the way open or closed

Old 07-17-2017, 03:06 PM
79sparky
Senior User
Yeah just did the test from the Schrader valve in the fuel supply line and I had like 2 psi

Old 07-17-2017, 06:31 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
so there are 2 pumps

the lift pump under the chasis drivers side which is electrically driven.

then the HPFP on the engine which is mechanically driven.

becareful about operating with a bad lift pump becuase you will be running the HPFP dry and that can cuase HPFP damage.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:32 AM
79sparky
Senior User
Went ahead and replaced the lift pump and then the pressure was only 5 psi running which I don't get, does it have a drive the runs the pump faster or slower depending on fuel demand? I have my gauge on the shader valve on the fuel supply line to the fuel cooler. Though the way it it decided to act yesterday I might me leaning towards it being the torque converter. I wish I knew how to pay a video on here. I put it in reverse and it jolted the truck hard then lugged at about 500 rpm and the line pressure at idle in park was 79 them put it into reverse went up to like 100 psi or so I then when it jolted and started lugging the line pressure went up to 270. I'm not getting a fault with the torque converter clutch Solenoid.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:32 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
Im not sure about your test point. that valve is to bleed out air. if you are getting variances in pressure there....my guess is that you are measuring pressure blow by from the HPFP. I think that valve is inbetween the lift pump and the HPFP. that valve cant handle the thousands of PSI that the HPFP generates.

to measure fuel pressure, you have to measure between the pump and fuel rail, or if you have the rocker cover off..there is a cap at the end of each fuel rail. the rail pressure is in thousands of PSI.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:34 PM
79sparky
Senior User
I was going for a supply pressure to the hpfp not the output.

Old 07-18-2017, 04:16 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 79sparky View Post
I was going for a supply pressure to the hpfp not the output.
its not going to be accurate if the HPFP is worn , your going to get higher than normal readings due to blow by. There's no one way check valve in that line.

the lift pump should be putting out 10 PSI between the lift pump and the fuel filter.

Old 07-18-2017, 04:20 PM
79sparky
Senior User
I was talking about the Schrader valve sticking off the where the banjo bolt, bolts on the fuel line supplying the fuel cooler after the fuel filter.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:35 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 79sparky View Post
I was talking about the Schrader valve sticking off the where the banjo bolt, bolts on the fuel line supplying the fuel cooler after the fuel filter.
That valve is on a line between the fiuel filter and the fuel cooler.

From the fuel cooler a line a line on the other side of the cooler goes to the input of the hpfp

fron the hofp there is a line on the output side to one of the fuel rails.

your not measuring hpfp levels at the valve.

at the valve, your gettting lift pump pressure minus the drop due to the fuel filter plus any reverse blow by from the hofp if your hpfp is worn.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:43 PM
79sparky
Senior User
Yes that's what I wanted to measure any idea what I should be reading there, I have like 5 psi there

Old 07-18-2017, 07:30 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
5 PSI is probally OK if you figure 10PSI at the lift pump, 2.5 PSI drop due to fuel filter, and 1PSI accuracy of your gauge.

move on to the HPFP. are you getting p0088 code?

see this video