1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Free truck! How would you proceed?

Old 09-30-2017, 10:45 PM
The Tiger
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are correct on the date code. 5th week of 2010.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:01 AM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Katskins makes some really nice leather seat kits that fit just like factory. Where is your final target, I know you said Knoxville area. I'm from Maryville, just south of Knoxville. If your in Little Rock, you could have this trip whipped today.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:07 AM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
Day 4

I have a cabin in the hills about 7 miles from Pigeon Forge.

Used to live in a city, the traffic noise never stopped.

Now I almost never hear a vehicle, I go to sleep listening to crickets, and wake up to owls.

Still 551 miles from home, 8 hrs 14 mins according to my iPhone, but the reality is always more. It's already 7 AM here, home is +1 hour for the time zone. I think it will be about 11 more travel hours, so I could do it.

I'll be happy to get on the other side of Nashville today, and enjoy the view along the way rather than pushing to get home late today. But I won't make that call until I pass Nashville.

There are some shops I would like to stop at on that last stretch, and have not been on it in about a year. If I push, they will be closed when I pass through.

And if I do need AAA, rather experience that when the sun is still high in the sky.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:19 AM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DogRidesInBack
The cracking is just superficial, right?:

If I read that right, the tires are over 7 years old. So I'm not going to worry about wearing them out on the way home. I'm just going to worry about getting home...
You did read the code right (tires produced May of 2010) and the cracking is likely age related ... but nothing to worry about from the size of the checking. I wouldn't want to be carrying any kind of load in the bed though.

Take the time and visit the shops you want to ... who knows when you'll be in that neck of the woods again.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:40 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Man I have to admit I'm enjoying your journey.

And let let me clarify something else interesting: I am NOT a truck guy at all. I do love my E350 van, and for similar reasons some guys love trucks. It's tough, big, powerful, etc etc. But who would want an open bed instead of an enclosed cargo area?!
i say all that to lead up to the following: im jealous of your find. Healthy, non-sinful jealousy. That truck looks great. Custom bumpers, winch on the front, those marker lights on the roof, even those wheels are cool. You are blessed.

If you don't mind sharing, maybe when you're done with the trip you could outline the expenditures you have in it. Airfare, hotels, fuel, etc. I'm a numbers guy and I'd think it's cool to see.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:09 AM
The Tiger
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by sunuvabug
You did read the code right (tires produced May of 2010) and the cracking is likely age related ... but nothing to worry about from the size of the checking. I wouldn't want to be carrying any kind of load in the bed though.

Take the time and visit the shops you want to ... who knows when you'll be in that neck of the woods again.
Not May, first 2 digits are the week of the year.

Old 10-01-2017, 04:20 PM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by The Tiger
Not May, first 2 digits are the week of the year.
Right you are ... good catch.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:24 PM
ligito
Posting Guru
I have a '99 F250 Long bed Super Cab 2 WD and an '02 E350 15 passenger van.
Best of both worlds.
I can't carry garbage, or loads of dirt etc. in the van and I wouldn't leave things that are effected by weather in the pickup.
Different tools for different jobs.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:57 PM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
Happy to share the numbers. I think the total is somewhere around $1,000 but I will get the exact numbers; I'm a numbers guy too. Here is the next fueling today:

At 286,530.1 miles. I'll do a topoff tomorrow for the total, I'm home! I got through Nashville well before rush hour, so figured I would head for Cookeville... Then Crossville. I think the shop I was looking for is only visible westbound, or I missed it. Anyway, after Crossville, it was only a couple more hours to get home, and I had a little left. And I wanted a drink in a real glass, not a plastic. And a breakfast I cooked myself! So I made it, but did not take the promised interior pics as it is now too dark. So I took this instead:

The marker lights work! I did not check any lights before hitting the road

New problem, or is it a feature(?)... Turned on the headlights as it started getting dark. About a half hour later, I noticed the dash lights come on suddenly. Had not noticed the dash lights were not on until then, as it was not that dark yet. But the dash lights did come on suddenly later.

ETA: The long day did take it's toll. My back is a bit sore, my butt hurts from sitting on my wallet, and my holster left a red mark on my side. But my drink tastes much better out of a real glass! Cheers, my friends!

Old 10-02-2017, 06:39 AM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
Problems:

Cruise control: When setting, the truck picks up a couple mph rather than going the speed I set it at.

Speedometer error: Set cruise control for 60. Timed 10 miles (should take 10 minutes). Did 10 miles in 9:20.

(9 min X 60 sec/min) + 20 sec = 540 seconds

((600 sec /540 sec)*100) - 1 = 11% high

Old 10-02-2017, 07:05 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
If I had to guess your truck has the auto headlights feature. Look for a quarter sided black sensor up by the defrosters. It is a light sensor. So you can have headlights on all the time for safety but when it gets dark your dashlisghts would be added. You should be able to look at your headlight switch and see if you have this feature.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:20 PM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406
If I had to guess your truck has the auto headlights feature. Look for a quarter sided black sensor up by the defrosters.
We have a winner! Thanks! I see the sensor.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:31 PM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
Went to Firestone in Maryville today. I like the shop, and recommend them. Unfortunately, this truck is too much for them to handle all of the repairs. Repairs? Yes:

Problems:
  • Sway bar links are completely shot (no bushings left). I'll have to scroll up to issue rep points for someone here on that one.
  • Front spring packs are shifted. Couple be broken locator pins or (jump in here, folks).
  • Rear driveshaft carrier bearing no longer exists. Well, part of it did when I got home last night until I climbed the hill I live on. Maybe some was still left after that, but less remains since climbing it again this afternoon.
  • Exhaust leak where a welded-on hanger broke. Hole the size of my thumb. And another hanger coming loose.
Since the rig has a lift and this was too much for Firestone, I found a shop that seems like they know how to handle the lift springs and carrier bearing. I'm also going to try and find the shop that did the lift in Texas, to try and get details.

The front end has a brake upgrade too, so even though I have the original rims for the truck, they may not fit over the larger calipers. So I will be in for a set of 19.5 tires.

Because, of these issues, all fluid changes are on the back burner for the moment. And I will get trip costs tomorrow excluding a final end-of-trip fueling. I spaced out on that coming home, and don't want to climb the hill again.

And I missed on the interior photos again. My apologies.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:02 PM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Since I live in Maryville, can I ask which shop you found? Can I also recommend Overlys off-road(A.k.a. Known as Dougs off-road from when his father owned it). He did the gears and installed the lift on my truck. 1 year warranty on the gears and no questions asked when I went back to get the traction bar re-torqued.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:31 AM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,132 Likes on 644 Posts
Speedometer being off is attributed to the larger tires

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Free truck! How would you proceed?