Best way to keep the 6.0 from starting? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Best way to keep the 6.0 from starting?

Old 07-15-2017, 06:59 PM
Senior User

Justin Jones is starting off with a positive reputation.
Best way to keep the 6.0 from starting?

Hello folks, I know funny question. I would like to know how I can temporarily keep the truck from starting. I have to go out of town and park it and would like a way to keep it from being driven off.

I've read about pulling the fuel pump relay but upon deeper investigation the relay can't be pulled as it's integrated in that block. What are people talking about pulling then the fuse to the fuel pump relay? Is that fuse number 40?

Is there another suggestion you guys have for a quick, easy, reversible theft deterrent?

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2017, 07:16 PM
Posting Guru

Mike189677 has a good reputation on FTE.Mike189677 has a good reputation on FTE.Mike189677 has a good reputation on FTE.
Ficm relay will do the trick.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:28 PM
Postmaster

TooManyToys. is a name known to allTooManyToys. is a name known to allTooManyToys. is a name known to allTooManyToys. is a name known to allTooManyToys. is a name known to allTooManyToys. is a name known to all
You can separate the starter link by the pass fender well that people use to jump crank for several reasons, a second is to pull relay for the FICM, and the third is to disconnect the HFCM power connection at the frame rail.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:37 PM
Posting Guru

Tofan is a splendid one to beholdTofan is a splendid one to beholdTofan is a splendid one to beholdTofan is a splendid one to beholdTofan is a splendid one to beholdTofan is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Jones View Post
Hello folks, I know funny question. I would like to know how I can temporarily keep the truck from starting. I have to go out of town and park it and would like a way to keep it from being driven off.

I've read about pulling the fuel pump relay but upon deeper investigation the relay can't be pulled as it's integrated in that block. What are people talking about pulling then the fuse to the fuel pump relay? Is that fuse number 40?

Is there another suggestion you guys have for a quick, easy, reversible theft deterrent?

Thanks!
Remove the batteries??? LOL.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:57 PM
Senior User

brandonrr has a good reputation on FTE.brandonrr has a good reputation on FTE.
I'll cast my vote for FICM relay as well. Almost nobody would know about the FICM relay, let alone, carry a spare in their pocket. It only takes a few seconds to pull it
Old 07-16-2017, 01:27 AM
Senior User

Okay, sounds like the FICM relay it is. Any other precaution suggestions?

Mr. Jack, where is the starter link exactly?
Old 07-16-2017, 02:02 AM
Posting Guru

Mike189677 has a good reputation on FTE.Mike189677 has a good reputation on FTE.Mike189677 has a good reputation on FTE.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:42 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
If you want to go one more step after the FICM relay you can also
pull the PCM relay.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:17 AM
Post Fiend

Rusty Axlerod has a spectacular reputation.Rusty Axlerod has a spectacular reputation.Rusty Axlerod has a spectacular reputation.Rusty Axlerod has a spectacular reputation.Rusty Axlerod has a spectacular reputation.Rusty Axlerod has a spectacular reputation.Rusty Axlerod has a spectacular reputation.Rusty Axlerod has a spectacular reputation.Rusty Axlerod has a spectacular reputation.Rusty Axlerod has a spectacular reputation.Rusty Axlerod has a spectacular reputation.
On your '06 the FICM relay is #304 (labeled IDM, Injector Driver Module). It not likely a thief would have one in their pocket and the other relays in the panel are different so if they are smart enough to find it missing they can't just swap another one to that spot.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:47 AM
Postmaster

TooManyToys. is a name known to allTooManyToys. is a name known to allTooManyToys. is a name known to allTooManyToys. is a name known to allTooManyToys. is a name known to allTooManyToys. is a name known to all
The starter connection and the FICM relay are becoming the most discussed ways of disabling a vehicle, so if a person has a hankering for an SD they might research how people are keeping the vehicle from starting. Just a thought.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:58 AM
Senior User

packagerjr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If it's an 05-07 you could just reinstall OE dummy plugs and STC fitting.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:18 AM
Posting Guru

Tofan is a splendid one to beholdTofan is a splendid one to beholdTofan is a splendid one to beholdTofan is a splendid one to beholdTofan is a splendid one to beholdTofan is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by packagerjr View Post
Old 07-16-2017, 10:57 AM
Senior User

Thanks guys! A lot of suggestions. Mike, that video from SDS was perfect.

Sean, I think that would be another good one to consider. According to picture that Rusty posted, it looks like there is a fuse but no relay? Or is it labeled something else? BTW, I know this is the wrong thread but sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you're okay. I know none of us would want anything to happen to a fellow FTE'er.

Rusty, the picture is perfect. I had done a search and seen that but the name IDM was throwing me off. I was looking for "FICM relay".

Mr. Jack, great point. Is there another technique you would suggest?
Old 07-16-2017, 10:59 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by packagerjr View Post
Hey package, I'm actually still running my OEM dummy plugs and STC fitting!
Old 07-16-2017, 11:53 AM
Postmaster

Putting solutions on line is like posting, hey I found my perfect passcode and it's .....

A person needs to figure out who they think they need to protect against, from someone who is just trying to get luckily and is not knowledgeable, to someone who is target specific and owns a tow truck. I believe it was on this forum a while back where someone had their SD stolen by tow out of their driveway. In that case, tracking not blocking is the recoverable solution.

The starter cable and relay are both good solutions most of the time, ones that can be done in a business suit at the airport. Under the truck gets a little messy, especially on return in a rain storm.

You just need to start thinking of what screws up starting these trucks. Here's a solution for the walk up guy who doesn't want to spend a lot of time troubleshooting, gaining attention. They usually don't.
  • Pull the starter connection, put the one end where it might be hidden. More secure, splice in a simple toggle switch in that circuit nearby.
  • Pull the FICM relay, they would have to be sophisticated enough to bring one, AND find a solution to the starter not working.
  • Add another layer if you don't mind a computer/radio memory loss. Bring an 8mm wrench and pull the power lead connection off the drivers batt, put the tool and nut under the truck floor mat.

There are others.

Now they have three issues they need to mechanically solve to drive away the truck, all still prepped in a business suit at the airport. Most thieves don't want to spend a lot of time screwing around.

But this just me SWAGing. With a camera over the driveway.