Best way to keep the 6.0 from starting? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Best way to keep the 6.0 from starting?

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Best way to keep the 6.0 from starting?

Old 07-16-2017, 02:24 PM
Justin Jones
Elder User
Justin Jones is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks Jack. I think the FICM relay and the starter link are good for most in a hurry thieves. Ron Francis Wiring has a anti theft relay harness for not much money. AT-70 Anti-Theft Relay Wiring Kit-Ron Francis Wiring It could be built for less I'm sure by someone that knows a lot about electronics which aint me.

I've read a couple of threads on here about using the upfitter switches to deactivate the starting by whichever way they choose to use. If I do that, I'll need to get some upfitter switches and research how to do that.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:47 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Post Fiend
Rusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputation
Check out the Ravelco anti theft device if you are really concerned. Simple and effective. Install isn't cheap though, they interrupt several circuits and rewrap everything. A thief could spend a lot of time getting past it. No digital electronics and a thief might pass on the truck if they see it has one. Of course you could still be towed...

If you had a nice aircraft style cannon plug you could build one yourself but it would take some time to wire it up and put everything back properly so the thief wouldn't have any clues.

Old 07-16-2017, 03:08 PM
Justin Jones
Elder User
Thanks Rusty. I had forgotten about the Ravelco. I did check the price on those awhile back and kind of dismissed it just due to the price.

That reminds me of something else though, it's SO much better in preventing a break in versus just keep the truck from being driven off. I guess that's a good deterrent from the Ravelco.

Old 07-16-2017, 03:16 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
The PCM relay is in the CJB.
You might also think about getting new relays and taking the old
ones and opening them up with care and remove the contacts so
then look like the right relay and a little dab of glue and in then go
when you want to park it and not have it start.

Also there is some relay out there that has a built in controls to disable it.

But when it comes down to it there are many way to make a 6.0L not run.

The Ravelco type of option is also a good idea. Just hide the taps in the harness.
One simple way would just get a log chain if it's going to be in a driveway or garage
and remove the tire and chain it with one of the hard to cut locks.

It really depends on who your worried is going to try and drive it. Friends and family
are one thing that the simple things will work on. The person that is out to take your
truck is a different one.

Also think about this. If the truck will crank but not start that sound of a non starting
diesel can really get people to lend a hand and be a witness in the mind of a person taking it.
Or wake people up with something unpleasant in mind for the fool.

Old 07-16-2017, 03:47 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Post Fiend
Rusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputation
I have always liked the idea of letting the thief start it up and move it a little bit and then it shuts off. They are "uncovered" and will hopefully leave quickly without damaging a lot of stuff or rummaging through the trucks contents. If you have a lockbox for a hand gun (cabled to the truck) for example they don't really have time to fool with it even if they took the time to find it before cranking.

There is a scary video on YouTube showing how quick and easy it is to get into these trucks. For a skilled thief with just a big screwdriver (and a hammer I think) it really doesn't take much longer than it would if you walked up on it with the key in your hand. It's really not secure at all.

When you're walkin away from your truck in the parking lot, having the keys in your hand (not leaving them in the truck) defeats about 60% of would be thiefs. Mashing the button and hearing the horn chirp gives about the same protection for your contents and knocks out another 10% of thieves who would take the whole truck. You can knock out another 15% with thief deterrent devices. (Including a little red flashing LED on the dash that doesn't connect to anything) That still leaves 15% who can take it no matter what you do. That's how my insurance guy put it to me a long time ago anyway.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:01 PM
Justin Jones
Elder User
Originally Posted by Yahiko View Post
The PCM relay is in the CJB.
You might also think about getting new relays and taking the old
ones and opening them up with care and remove the contacts so
then look like the right relay and a little dab of glue and in then go
when you want to park it and not have it start.
That is a REALLY good idea. It would be untraceable.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:14 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by TooManyToys. View Post
Putting solutions on line is like posting, hey I found my perfect passcode and it's .....

A person needs to figure out who they think they need to protect against, from someone who is just trying to get luckily and is not knowledgeable, to someone who is target specific and owns a tow truck. I believe it was on this forum a while back where someone had their SD stolen by tow out of their driveway. In that case, tracking not blocking is the recoverable solution.
well said .

Old 07-16-2017, 04:18 PM
Justin Jones
Elder User
Well this one was stolen once and really just because my dad didn't have it locked. All it took was a screwdriver in the ignition. A friend of my dad's had his stolen off the UPS parking lot while he was at work. I think the Mesquite (just east of Dallas) UPS hub. Never was found.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:31 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Texas is a hot spot for truck thieves for sure!

Old 07-16-2017, 05:16 PM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
You can disable the FICM relay by popping off the cover, putting a small piece of cardboard between the contacts, then the cover snaps right back on. This way it can still be a backup in the glovebox when you need it, just remove the cardboard.

Internals can be seen here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...otorcraft.html

RustyA's concept is not a bad one, and could be easily done with a timed relay. My earlier suggestion about pulling the HFMC would also do that, but in retrospect might dry fire damage the injectors. Just wouldn't want the damn fool taking my truck and having it stall crossing a busy road.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:47 PM
Justin Jones
Elder User
Thanks Jack. Is there a good place to get the Motorcraft FICM relay?

Old 07-16-2017, 06:35 PM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
Are you thinking of installing a new relay as a normal 100k preventative maintenance item or just looking for a "disable the bad guys" relay?

Old 07-16-2017, 07:58 PM
Justin Jones
Elder User
Either. For it to really look the part it would need to be a Motorcraft relay.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:07 PM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
F8OZ-14N089-AA is the FICM relay and also used for cooling fans on different Ford vehicles. Ain't nothing special for the FICM, just carries big amps.

FICMRepairs sells for $40 +shipping?

Ford dealers do sell them on eBay for about $30-35 w/shipping. I've gotten one from my dealer for the same.

My truck is at 207,000 so it's on it's 3rd relay due to the 100k PM rotation. I don't need two backups. If you aren't looking for a new one it's yours for the price of postage, just let me know by PM.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:00 AM
diesel_dan
FTE Addict
diesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to behold
What a guy...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best way to keep the 6.0 from starting?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.