Would like feedback on 6.2 v8 with 4.30

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 03:46 PM
Sancho
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm pulling most long grades at about 4200 rpm.6.2 with 4.30 much different?

Old 07-17-2017, 04:37 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
The only reason I brought the issue of terrain up is so often the focus is on weight and I felt where one is towing, in addition weight, and frequency of towing also can influence choices in drivetrains.

Steve

Old 07-17-2017, 09:36 PM
Larrymac52
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
The only reason I brought the issue of terrain up is so often the focus is on weight and I felt where one is towing, in addition weight, and frequency of towing also can influence choices in drivetrains.

Steve
I've only been on this forum for a few days, but info like this and the other posts in this thread has been very helpful.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:34 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,680 Likes on 2,745 Posts
Larry, my primary criteria for my new F-350 was, "Can it pull my 11,000 lb trailer up an 11,000' elevation mountain pass?" All other criteria was superfluous if it couldn't do that.

A few weeks ago my F-350 did just that. I don't recall passing anyone though.

Through the assistance of the folks here I was convinced (with very little arm twisting) to get the 6.7L. The bigger question was which gear ratio to go with and I'm glad that I went with the 3.55, which was the general consensus. If I were to have stuck with a gas engine there is no doubt in my mind that the 4.30 gears would have been an absolute requirement.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:59 AM
Sancho
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm trying to determine the limits of my truck. Some of you guys are towing a lot more than me.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:10 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by HRTKD
Larry, my primary criteria for my new F-350 was, "Can it pull my 11,000 lb trailer up an 11,000' elevation mountain pass?" All other criteria was superfluous if it couldn't do that.

A few weeks ago my F-350 did just that. I don't recall passing anyone though.

Through the assistance of the folks here I was convinced (with very little arm twisting) to get the 6.7L. The bigger question was which gear ratio to go with and I'm glad that I went with the 3.55, which was the general consensus. If I were to have stuck with a gas engine there is no doubt in my mind that the 4.30 gears would have been an absolute requirement.
That 11k trailer is what it wants for breakfast. lol

Old 07-18-2017, 07:17 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by acadianbob
Or get a Lariat with the additional sound deadening . . . cheaper than a diesel.

You will hear the diesel more in an XL as well.
This is a point that isn't brought up very often, there is more to the Lariat package than just leather seats.

Denny

Old 07-18-2017, 07:23 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Sancho
I'm trying to determine the limits of my truck. Some of you guys are towing a lot more than me.
I know the limits of mine and I'm pushing up against it now but with that being said we are planning on pulling out 1200lb boat fishing in the Colorado mountains in late August. One more run over that 11300 pass on US40, I will be nice and have a empty water tank and no bikes on the back

Denny

Old 07-25-2017, 07:38 PM
mrgrayaz
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rvpuller
I know the limits of mine and I'm pushing up against it now but with that being said we are planning on pulling out 1200lb boat fishing in the Colorado mountains in late August. One more run over that 11300 pass on US40, I will be nice and have a empty water tank and no bikes on the back

Denny
We always seem to hit Eisenhower Pass with full tanks :P. No drama whatsoever with the 6.0 PS (old motor I know)...kept 50+mph the whole time. We're probably 24klbs combined these days.

Always able to keep speed outside Vegas too until we overheat (every..bloody...time) at a nice 1800RPM.
I wont tow heavy again with Gas, the diesel makes it too easy, all at under 2k RPM usually.....

Old 08-02-2017, 11:04 AM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great read here. I recently purchased a '15 CCLB 6.2 with the 3.73. My search for a new to me truck was rushed as my beloved 6.0 was approaching 300K and the wife's love for it was gone and more importantly, I found someone locally that really wanted it and for a good price. I knew I wanted a '15 or newer CCLB. The wife was set on a gas engine, I tried to convince her that the new diesels are much different than the 6.0, but she held firm. I was on the fence, I loved the diesel despite having to work/repair on it quite often. Finding the CCLB Lariat Ultimate or Platimum with the 6.2 and 4.30's(or even the 6.7) proved to be impossible in such a short time, so we decided on mine with the 3.73. I found a TON of short beds, but very few standard beds for sale. I digress.

Our 08 travel travel(8K lbs) has been recently deemed totaled after an accident, so my search for a replacement has begun. I convinced the boss that a 5th wheel would be nice this time around. Our 30' trailer was a bit of a challenge getting into our summer spot on Drummond Island and a 5th wheel would be much easier to navigate the 1/4mi back up spot with the 120 degree turn at the end. At least that's what I'm trying to sell her on 😉. We are shopping for something in the 30' range and of course under the 11,900 lb rating.

We drove to FL this spring and enjoyed the truck pulling the trailer aside from only getting 9MPG. I wasn't easy on it either, going through the Fancy Gap and holding my own going up and down, but I know the big boy mountains out West are NO JOKE. I don't want to get into a situation that I am regretting as I try to make the ascend up or decent down a grade. My first mod was adding airbags since my payload was a dismal 2215lbs. I am considering going with the 4.30 gears. My question is though, is it worth going with the gear change for what will amount to be about 5% of actual benefits. Or, do the benefits help in other areas while the truck is not working. I daily drive this truck and my commute is less than 15mi round trip.

Sorry for the long winded message.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:01 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyv13
Great read here. I recently purchased a '15 CCLB 6.2 with the 3.73. My search for a new to me truck was rushed as my beloved 6.0 was approaching 300K and the wife's love for it was gone and more importantly, I found someone locally that really wanted it and for a good price. I knew I wanted a '15 or newer CCLB. The wife was set on a gas engine, I tried to convince her that the new diesels are much different than the 6.0, but she held firm. I was on the fence, I loved the diesel despite having to work/repair on it quite often. Finding the CCLB Lariat Ultimate or Platimum with the 6.2 and 4.30's(or even the 6.7) proved to be impossible in such a short time, so we decided on mine with the 3.73. I found a TON of short beds, but very few standard beds for sale. I digress.

Our 08 travel travel(8K lbs) has been recently deemed totaled after an accident, so my search for a replacement has begun. I convinced the boss that a 5th wheel would be nice this time around. Our 30' trailer was a bit of a challenge getting into our summer spot on Drummond Island and a 5th wheel would be much easier to navigate the 1/4mi back up spot with the 120 degree turn at the end. At least that's what I'm trying to sell her on 😉. We are shopping for something in the 30' range and of course under the 11,900 lb rating.

We drove to FL this spring and enjoyed the truck pulling the trailer aside from only getting 9MPG. I wasn't easy on it either, going through the Fancy Gap and holding my own going up and down, but I know the big boy mountains out West are NO JOKE. I don't want to get into a situation that I am regretting as I try to make the ascend up or decent down a grade. My first mod was adding airbags since my payload was a dismal 2215lbs. I am considering going with the 4.30 gears. My question is though, is it worth going with the gear change for what will amount to be about 5% of actual benefits. Or, do the benefits help in other areas while the truck is not working. I daily drive this truck and my commute is less than 15mi round trip.

Sorry for the long winded message.

Obviously I can only speak for me, but towing an above 10,000 pound 5th wheel, it would have to make an incredible difference before I could spend the bucks for 4.30. I know Fancy Gap well and it is just too short to justify a change in gears. Why not try it and see what you think first?

Old 08-02-2017, 12:37 PM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Obviously I can only speak for me, but towing an above 10,000 pound 5th wheel, it would have to make an incredible difference before I could spend the bucks for 4.30. I know Fancy Gap well and it is just too short to justify a change in gears. Why not try it and see what you think first?
The Gap was fine, my only concern coming was the high rev of the engine, compared to diesel towing, but that was expected. The truck handled the Gap beautifully. If I hadno plans of going West, I'd leave the gears alone and enjoy the truck as is. I guess my question is is it worth the investment for a trip that may only happen once or twice every 5 years. I don't mind being in the slow lane and letting people pass. I don't need to prove anything, I'm too old for that. I just want to get my family to places safely.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:09 PM
Super Duty DJ
More Turbo
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyv13
The Gap was fine, my only concern coming was the high rev of the engine, compared to diesel towing, but that was expected. The truck handled the Gap beautifully. If I hadno plans of going West, I'd leave the gears alone and enjoy the truck as is. I guess my question is is it worth the investment for a trip that may only happen once or twice every 5 years. I don't mind being in the slow lane and letting people pass. I don't need to prove anything, I'm too old for that. I just want to get my family to places safely.
I think that with only taking trips out west less than once a year, you will be just fine with your 3.73 gears. I live in Colorado, so for me, ordering the 4.30 gears was a no-brainer since I am always pulling those big mountain passes on every trip. If I didn't have to pull the long, steep grades at high elevation all the time, I don't think I would be looking to drop $2k on a gear swap if the truck I had didn't already have the 4.30 gears.

FWIW, my 2015 with the 6.2/4.30 combo pulls by 30 foot, 8500 pound fifth wheel up many of the larger passes here in Colorado at or very near the speed limit with the A/C blasting. It usually shifts between 2nd and 3rd gears and keeps the revs up, but even at 5k RPM it's not nearly as loud as my old 5.4 was at 3500 RPM.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:33 PM
Larrymac52
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford
agreed.... a mile or 2. not a problem.

long steady hills/mountains... is..

Like Independence pass ... in Colorado..
this brings to mind another question.
Does the 6.2 with 4.30 have an engine brake similar to the diesel that could come into play coming down a long grade?

Old 08-09-2017, 05:10 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,627 Likes on 1,644 Posts
Originally Posted by Larrymac52
this brings to mind another question.
Does the 6.2 with 4.30 have an engine brake similar to the diesel that could come into play coming down a long grade?
Short answer. No!!! Although you can still force the downshift and get some braking effect.

When I had my 6.2, as I crested a hill, I would just maintain that speed and gear as I started down the other side, used very little foot brake that way.

Last edited by Desert Don; 08-09-2017 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Add comment

Quick Reply: Would like feedback on 6.2 v8 with 4.30