Sponsored by: DP Tuner

need exhaust and down pipe

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 11:33 PM
welder2000
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would be a decent exhaust system for my 97 PSD 4X4 crew. I dont want to go over bord. I plam on using a Superchip programer and already have a K&N air filter. I need to know what size down pipe 3" or 4". Do I need a compleet kit or a down pipe and a cat back system and what size. I'm not power crazy just want a little more for pulling my six thousand trailer up mountains without straining the moter.

Old 09-05-2003, 11:38 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend

Originally posted by welder2000
What would be a decent exhaust system for my 97 PSD 4X4 crew. I dont want to go over bord. I plam on using a Superchip programer and already have a K&N air filter. I need to know what size down pipe 3" or 4". Do I need a compleet kit or a down pipe and a cat back system and what size. I'm not power crazy just want a little more for pulling my six thousand trailer up mountains without straining the moter.
First of all, ditch the K&N for a Tymar intake. If you don't want an open element intake, do a search and you'll come up with other options that will filter better than the K&N. Get a 4" exhaust and the largest downpipe that will fit from the turbo. If you are planning on running a chip, especially if you are going to be towing through the mountains, a pyro gauge is a must to monitor the temps.

Last edited by johnsdiesel; 09-05-2003 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-06-2003, 11:45 AM
welder2000
Freshman User

Thank's John, But do I need a compleet system or just a cat back exhaust. I do have the gages but havent installed the yet, I havent decided where to mount them, waiting for the new down pipe with niple for the sencor. I read on another thread that because of the volume of the 4" down pipe it takes longer for the turbo to spool up?

Old 09-06-2003, 02:21 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend

I don't think that a 4" downpipe will fit on the older style trucks, but I could be wrong. Even if you replace the stock downpipe with one of the same size you will see a performance increase. If you look at the stock downpipe it is squashed. If you're going to do the exhaust system I would be sure to do the downpipe. A lot of guys have said that it is the single biggest improvement they have made to their truck. From the downpipe back go with 4" exhaust.