One Year Oil Change? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

One Year Oil Change?

Old 07-15-2017, 08:16 AM
Post Fiend

GreatNorthWoods has a great reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a great reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a great reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a great reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a great reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a great reputation on FTE.
One Year Oil Change?

Mobil One is advertising a one year oil change if you use their synthetic oil. Anyone doing that?
Old 07-15-2017, 08:47 AM
Freshman User

ferretface is starting off with a positive reputation.
Never have, never will. I am strictly a 3,000 mile oil change man.

I take a labelmaker and label my next oil change interval and stick it right on my console.

I also avoid synthetic oils. If bio-oil was good enough for a dinosaur 65 million years ago, it's good enough for me.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:38 AM
Post Fiend

GreatNorthWoods has a great reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a great reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a great reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a great reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a great reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretface View Post
Never have, never will. I am strictly a 3,000 mile oil change man.

I take a labelmaker and label my next oil change interval and stick it right on my console.

I also avoid synthetic oils. If bio-oil was good enough for a dinosaur 65 million years ago, it's good enough for me.
Up until the past few years I changed every 3000 miles too but newer cars say 5000-7000 between changes. I am no longer able to do my own oil changes and at about $45 a shot for oil changes in my area I am looking for a way to save a buck. I can get a synthetic oil change for about $60.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:48 AM
Elder User

scott91370 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.scott91370 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Do they put a mileage along with the one year time frame?
In years passed they would always say 3000 miles or 3 or 4 months because the oil would break down. Obviously advancements and synthetics have changed that game.
I drive about 14k a year, not terribly many, so I would never go that route but for someone like my sister who drives 5,000 it would be a great alternative.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:56 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott91370 View Post
Do they put a mileage along with the one year time frame?
In years passed they would always say 3000 miles or 3 or 4 months because the oil would break down. Obviously advancements and synthetics have changed that game.
I drive about 14k a year, not terribly many, so I would never go that route but for someone like my sister who drives 5,000 it would be a great alternative.
Haven't seen any mileage recommendations yet but surely there must be some. I may be wrong but I wouldn't think you could drive 14K miles on one oil change. I have two cars and probably drive about 20K a year (10K on each one).
Old 07-15-2017, 01:04 PM
Elder User

scott91370 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.scott91370 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
For some reason I I upload a picture from my phone but their web page says 20k miles. That's way too long for me.
Would definitely work for someone like my sister which drives maybe 7k.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:20 AM
Junior User

SCUDDOG is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have been sending oil analysis samples for several of my vehicles to https://www.blackstone-labs.com/ for years. I recommend that if anyone on this thread is concerned about oil.... request the free sample kit and send in a sample. Easy to do especially if you do it yourself.

You can find out how much life your oil has left in it by the TBN. What is a TBN, and who uses it? In short, a TBN (total base number) measures the amount of active additive left in a sample of oil. The TBN is useful for people who want to extend their oil usage far beyond the normal range.The TBN of a used oil can aid the user in determining how much reserve additive the oil has left to neutralize acids. The lower the TBN reading, the less active additive the oil has left.

Endless amounts of info out there... Good reading. If you have questions about Blackstone, just let me know.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:43 PM
New User

Three30Eighr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sorry to dig up an old thread...

Mobil says 1 year or 20,000 miles...whichever comes first for the Mobil 1 annual protection.

This is not a stretch...UOA on BITOG have shown this is easily achievable for years.

I took a Subaru fb25 (2.5 boxer 4cy) 345,000 miles changing the oil every 10,000 miles on standard Mobil 1. Ran like new when I sold it.

This is not to say Mobil 1 is the only oil that will do this...many oils are just as good.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:29 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three30Eighr View Post
Sorry to dig up an old thread...

Mobil says 1 year or 20,000 miles...whichever comes first for the Mobil 1 annual protection.

This is not a stretch...UOA on BITOG have shown this is easily achievable for years.

I took a Subaru fb25 (2.5 boxer 4cy) 345,000 miles changing the oil every 10,000 miles on standard Mobil 1. Ran like new when I sold it.

This is not to say Mobil 1 is the only oil that will do this...many oils are just as good.
That would work for me. I'm going to give up my 3000 mile oil changes for once a year. I didn't mind the 3000 miles changes when I could do them myself but a once a year $60 oil change is perfect for me and my wallet!
Old 11-14-2017, 12:00 PM
Senior User

got2bjoester is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My only concern would be oil loss through the engine. I can see some poor person thinking they are all set and going 15K without ever checking the oil level....... and losing an engine due to it.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:59 PM
Senior User

simonsi is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by got2bjoester View Post
My only concern would be oil loss through the engine. I can see some poor person thinking they are all set and going 15K without ever checking the oil level....... and losing an engine due to it.
Stupid is as stupid does - if users make a conscious decision to reduce the oil change frequency but start or continue to neglect checking the level then they normally only do that once...

My guess is most users are either diligent in frequency and checking the level, or neglect both anyway...