2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Chevy HD vs Ford Super Duty

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 10:03 PM
AMXDREAMER
Posting Guru
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Guess I should trade in my new 2017 diesel F350 Platinum....lets try that test with an extra few thousand pounds. Oh right, Chevy wouldn't be able to play.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:14 PM
RJC2
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a friend who regularly loads his GMC WAY over the limits its supposed to haul. The truck takes it, however, I've told him that if he's in a wreck with it, he'd better buy a whole tub of Vaseline to lube his bottom with. The Police, and worse yet, the lawyers of someone hurt by him will rape him financially for being overloaded.
It's just not worth it.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:58 PM
FmaxTurboSi
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been a Chevy fan for years......but gotta admit. Didn't buy a gm in 2014, and didn't buy a gm in 2017 either.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:22 AM
theboom
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
I know everyone is going to say/think this but, what was the axle ratio in the Ford in that second video? 4.10's would make a big difference over 3.55's. Another thing is that everyone has to remember that the max chevy can tow is around 23,000. Ford can tow almost 10k more at 32,500. The bed test is getting old, it has been proven to be fake and besides, who drops a tool box like that in their truck much less a bare metal one like that? I mean who actually doesn't get a bed liner nowadays? I know I will always have one.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:08 AM
wfedwar
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pretty misleading commercials, add everyone has pointed out already. Nevertheless, I think GMC makes a decent truck. I just think all in all that the Ford is better.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:19 AM
RJC2
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by theboom
I know everyone is going to say/think this but, what was the axle ratio in the Ford in that second video? 4.10's would make a big difference over 3.55's. Another thing is that everyone has to remember that the max chevy can tow is around 23,000. Ford can tow almost 10k more at 32,500. The bed test is getting old, it has been proven to be fake and besides, who drops a tool box like that in their truck much less a bare metal one like that? I mean who actually doesn't get a bed liner nowadays? I know I will always have one.
Your point about axle ratio's is correct, however, there is also a weight difference of 500 pounds that makes the Ford (due to its heavier weight classification) a little harder to get moving.
The Ford was purpose built. That purpose was not racing.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:23 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Don't forget, Howie's the one that called the step in the tailgate a sissy step. So as not to eat crow GM put those ugly dents in the corner of their bumpers and called them steps.
GM's dents in the aluminum bed commercial has also been proven a set up and hoax.
Not saying Ford doesn't exaggerate too. Judge Judy calls it PUFFING.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:31 AM
The Big Tow
Senior User
You know you're Number 1 when everybody takes shots at you

Old 07-14-2017, 07:36 AM
JeepPuller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by The Big Tow
You know you're Number 1 when everybody takes shots at you
So true... You never hear Coke saying they are better than Pepsi. Same for never saying they are better than Chevrolet.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:50 AM
62KR
Senior User
Which corner of the box supposedly makes the hole? The hole seems to appear where the center of the edge of the box would be....

As far as the engines, I have no doubt that the duramax can run with the powerstroke, it is the frame/suspension where the GM products are lacking and what is holding them back on tow numbers.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:51 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've got to laugh at a lot of these type commercials. Got any idea how much Howie Long gets paid for those commercial? Three year deal worth low seven figures. Of course commercials like this aren't biased in any way right? I would bet the hole was already in the bed before the tool box was dropped, what do you think? I honestly don't know how they get by doing those type commercials were it's obvious someone is lying.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:18 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
GM's short TV ads with "Real People, not Actors" are some of the stupidest, worst marketing ever produced.

These longer truck ads with Howie are much more convincing. They went to great lengths to show the toolbox was empty and it still dented the Super Duty's "heavier duty" bed just like the 150. Now it may have taken 20 tries to make it put a hole in it, they may have sharpened an edge or shoved the box hard. But it appears convincing.

Likewise, they use their own testing plus reference TFL's test to *prove* how much more powerful their truck is at pulling and braking. Unfortunately, it is all very misleading. The L5P is powerful, but it hardly has any major advantage over Ford. In the "drag race" the Ford was hardly behind. They may have brake-torqued the Chevy to build boost so it would take off harder. Who knows. We've already been all over the TFL test.

What was interesting was how carefully GM chose trim levels for their comparisons. A fully loaded LTZ or High Country in black for the Chevy. A base XL work truck in white with steel rims for the Ford. If they had chosen even a slightly more upmarket Super Duty, they probably would lose sales just based upon how much better the Ford styling is. I think the 4 halogen headlights look awesome.

But I think JeepPuller really hit the nail on the head...you don't ever hear Coke telling everyone how they are better than Pepsi.

Chevy has really become the bottom tier truck for HDs. RAM is absolutely outselling GM in the HD class.

Side Note: you can bet when the new Super Duty was released, GM bought a few and inevitably performed the "twist ditch" test again in hopes the Ford would flex too much and the tailgate would jam shut. If the Ford failed, you can bet that commercial would be running again...

Old 07-14-2017, 08:34 AM
BowtieConvert
Lead Driver
Received 2,543 Likes on 832 Posts

This is from June 2017 Pickup Sales Breakdown - PickupTrucks.com News
Looks like a good race between Ford and GM. As far as the 1/2 ton market goes Ford is killing it and Toyota is doing likewise in the mid-size arena.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:45 AM
theboom
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by RJC2
Your point about axle ratio's is correct, however, there is also a weight difference of 500 pounds that makes the Ford (due to its heavier weight classification) a little harder to get moving.
The Ford was purpose built. That purpose was not racing.
That chevy was the highest trim level(high country) vs the Ford lowest trim level (xl or xlt I can't tell). The Ford is indeed something like 500lbs heavier when equal trim levels but it's not that much heavier in this comparison because high country vs xl. I'll bet they are pretty similar in weight which leaves the axle ratio the culprit.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:52 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
These sales figures are actually pretty misleading.

The Ford sales number represents the following:
*F-150
*F-250
*F-350
*F-450
*F-550

The GM sales number represents the following:
*Chevy Colorado
*Chevy 1500
*Chevy 2500
*Chevy 3500
*GMC Canyon
*GMC 1500
*GMC 2500
*GMC 3500

So Ford offers a 450 pickup plus a 450 and 550 C/C which GM does not offer. However, GM is including sales from two distinct brands, plus the midsize Canyon and Colorado trucks which Ford does not offer. To add additional confusion, neither Ford, GM, or RAM disclose what percentage of sales are midsize, half ton, HD, etc. Or at least those numbers are not obtained easily.

I'd say GM is currently weakest in the HD segment. That will be bolstered shortly with their partnership with Navistar to make medium duty trucks again...4500-7500 series.

Quick Reply: Chevy HD vs Ford Super Duty