2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Individual Trailer TPMS (653) or Aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 03:11 PM
USSenator
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Individual Trailer TPMS (653) or Aftermarket?

If the Ford option, 653 - Individual Trailer TPMS/Customer-Placed Trailer Camera anything special?

It costs $725, and comes in a box, uninstalled. From what I understand, you need to put the camera on your trailer by yourself. It is hard-wired. It can be ordered anytime, and is not dependent on the factory to install it before the truck is built to make it easier.

I suspect that there are other after-market camera systems out there too. Even wireless ones. Maybe even better and cheaper.

What is so special about the Ford option? Some special adapter? Something that allows it to integrate into the console display?

Old 07-13-2017, 03:53 PM
vancouverbrian
More Turbo
Received 101 Likes on 69 Posts
I ordered the TPMS camera for the back of the trailer because it is integrated into the screen in the cab. And I also ordered the Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera package. If you do aftermarket, then you need a separate screen. I can see some advantages to aftermarket...wireless for example. There is also a hard-wired box to plug into at the back of the box which I think is the pre wire for the trailer camera.

There is:

individual trailer TPMS/trailer camera prep kit. available on all SuperDuty
rear view camera-CHMSL. also includes tailgate-mounted camera
trailer camera prep kit. includes the camera and wiring
ultimate trailer tow camera package. includes rear view camera, 180/360 degree camera system, rear CHMSL camera, trailer reverse guidance, LED CHMSL. Display in center stack screen.

This is from the build site information.

From the Optional Equipment Section of the order book.

871 Rear View Camera (display contained in interior, self-dimming rearview mirror or, in 4 inch or 8 inch LCD center stack when equipped) optional on XL and standard on XLT and Lariat.

hope this is helpful to you.

873 Rear CHMSL Camera requires XL value package or optional on XLT and Lariat

65B Trailer Camera Prep Kit (includes loose camera and wiring bundle - display appears in center stack) Requires CHMSL or Ultimate Trailer Tow Package. XLT requires Sync 3. Not available in Xl.

653 Trailer TPMS + Trailer Camera Prep Kit (includes loose camera and wiring bungle -display on stack). Requires CHMSL or UTTP. Not available on XL. XLT requires Sync 3.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:44 PM
USSenator
Elder User
Originally Posted by vancouverbrian
873 Rear CHMSL Camera requires XL value package or optional on XLT and Lariat

65B Trailer Camera Prep Kit (includes loose camera and wiring bundle - display appears in center stack) Requires CHMSL or Ultimate Trailer Tow Package. XLT requires Sync 3. Not available in Xl.

653 Trailer TPMS + Trailer Camera Prep Kit (includes loose camera and wiring bungle -display on stack). Requires CHMSL or UTTP. Not available on XL. XLT requires Sync 3.
Thank you!

With the Platinum Ultimate, I get all the options included, so I think I am all set for cameras. I do have to add #653.
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

Old 07-13-2017, 08:18 PM
Seven Gables
Junior User
I got the Ford camera & TPMS. It was a chore but not difficult to install. The hardest part is figuring out the connection from the 5er to the the truck. Once installed it works seamlessly. I have used it a couple of times backing into spots in crowded truck stops & backing out of the pumps when the semi in front is blocking you. The TPMS is accessible through the dash and makes it simple to monitor pressure. That came in handy during a trip with temps at 100+.

Mounting the camera and routing the wire was easy. The TMPS monitor was mounted under the 5er over one of the drain pipes & works well on steel belted radials.

Routing the connection to the truck was tricky. My first attempt did not work out well because of the way I routed it. I moved the connection for the camera/TPMS and 5er plug into the bed. The 5er pig tail was too short to go over the tailgate with it down when hooking up. So I was concerned and moved it. I mounted it over the wheel well. That caused the issue but I have since worked it out.

All in all I would do it again. A bit pricy but worth it for the integration.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:55 PM
kab449
Junior User

Location is in the box, Left Rear.
I put mine in the box. You do have to lengthen the wires from the wiring harness along the frame.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:05 PM
Seven Gables
Junior User
I used the box from Nichols Welding and their extension wire. Also a trailer wire extension from e-trailer.
I cut the sides off the box to make it rectangular since I did not need to cover the oem mounting location.