6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 middle PCM connector

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 02:25 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,484 Likes on 1,722 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmyl21
Just pulled the DTC codes. It's engine coolant temperature circuit high input, engine oil temperature sensor circuit high input, and injection control pressure censor circuit input low. I'm gonna try to unplug the ICP today and see what happens.
The EOT and ECT are easiest to get to. Since they are easy and you got electrical codes for them, try unplugging them first unless you see the wire damage to one of them (Sean's suggestion to look for).

Old 07-15-2017, 03:35 PM
Jimmyl21
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yahiko
Take a look at the harness where it comes down to the
temp sensor on your truck. Some times that section
of harness as it gets fuel spilled on it over time will get
mushy and the insulation fails and you have a short.
Where is this harness? I'm going to see if the ICP has oil in it aswell, almost to it.

Old 07-15-2017, 03:36 PM
Jimmyl21
Junior User
Originally Posted by bismic
The EOT and ECT are easiest to get to. Since they are easy and you got electrical codes for them, try unplugging them first unless you see the wire damage to one of them (Sean's suggestion to look for).
I'm also going to need to know where these are. Sorry but thanks for the help guys appreciate it.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:38 AM
Jimmyl21
Junior User
Any ideas anyone?

Old 07-18-2017, 09:49 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
You need to become familiar with the Bible's for these model years, which not only will help you learn about the motors operation but where the sensors are.

6.0L Bible Table of Contents

Old 04-29-2019, 09:19 AM
Oh-Four Excursion
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation 6.0 middle PCM connector

Jimmyl21 says: My truck will only start when I unplug the middle connector of the pcm. Does anyone know how I can fix the issue so the truck won't require me to do this?
I'm having the exact same problem that Jimmyl21 is having. Except my truck is an 04 Excursion (also 6.0 Powerstroke), and I don't have to unplug the middle connector of the pcm every time I start the truck. The vehicle can start for days and weeks at a time before it won't start, then by unplugging the middle PCM and reinserting it the truck will start.

This could be a "socket rejection" problem.

This issue appears unresolved on this thread, so I apologize if this new response on an old issue is out of order. Did ANYBODY ever resolve this issue? Was it a bad (middle) PCM connector, or pin? Did using an electrical connector cleaner resolve it? I used a spray cleaner and it helped for a couple of weeks, before I had to use cleaner again to get the engine to start. Codes and sensors look good, it's just that the PCM isn't communicating, but I don't know which pin or wire is susceptible to this problem. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Old 07-10-2019, 05:17 PM
Chris Wilson
Mountain Pass
But did you fix it?

Old 08-14-2019, 02:16 AM
Oh-Four Excursion
4wd Low
Yes... it's definitely "socket rejection" in my case. I removed the PCM to perfom a better cleaning of the pins. More importantly, there are a cluster of connectors underneath the master cylinder (four or five box type plugs). Spent days wetting those down w/WD40 and slowly managed to loosen them w/o breaking the tabs. The pins needed to be swabbed/cleaned on those too, lots of corrosion. Spray the female pins with a good electrical cleaner. When all of these pins start to corrode "capacitance" changes and leaks into the harness creating poor signals going to the PCM and FICM. "Socket rejection" can stop or cause a 6.0 Powerstroke run poorly.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:20 AM
surfmanrescue
New User
Did you resolve your issue permanently? I am having a similar issue....I get a no crank/cam sync code....Took me forever to figure out, but all i have to do is gently push on the middle PCM plug, and sync comes back...I have unplugged and inspected and everything looks fine....It is very intermittent....can be days or weeks between instances...I am starting to wonder if it is a bad PCM or bad connection between the plug on the PCM and the circuit board....Any ideas?

Old 09-26-2019, 08:02 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
The FICM middle plug is C1388B (X-2) Connector: Injector Control, Cyl. 2,3,5,8

Sounds more like a bad FICM - assuming you haven't tried it on a new (known good) FICM already. Personally I would consider sending it to FICMrepair.com to have it checked.

The X-3 plug (wider plug) on the FICM contains wires that are routed to two separate locations. The first set of wires go directly to the PCM. This has CKPO and CMPO sync signals, CAN communications, and FICM main power monitoring. The second set of wire is routed to a 12 way power connector behind the battery box. The logical power is fused at the small box under the hood. The other wires are for FICM main power (relay), vehicle main power (PCM), key power (ignition), and ground.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:44 AM
surfmanrescue
New User
Hi Bismic,

FICM is new and upgraded from FICM Repair...Batteries are new and strong....and also running new and upgraded alt.

I don't understand why you think it is the FICM. The middle plug I have to push on is on the PCM, not the FICM....From the wiring diagrams I have seen, the CKP and CMP are both wired to the PCM through this middle plug that I am pushing on...

Old 09-26-2019, 08:54 AM
surfmanrescue
New User
Hi Bismic,

In addition to my last response, I want to say thanks...you have pointed out two additional things to me that I neglected to really look at....When I unplugged the middle PCM plug, I was really only looking at pins 31, 43, 30 and 41 which I believe are the direct lines from CKP/CMP sensors to te PCM....I did not look at 19 and 20 which is from the FICM to the PCM for these signals....I will look at everything again......Thanks

Old 09-26-2019, 11:21 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by surfmanrescue
Hi Bismic,

FICM is new and upgraded from FICM Repair...Batteries are new and strong....and also running new and upgraded alt.

I don't understand why you think it is the FICM. The middle plug I have to push on is on the PCM, not the FICM....From the wiring diagrams I have seen, the CKP and CMP are both wired to the PCM through this middle plug that I am pushing on...

My apologies!!! I swear I read that you have to push on the middle FICM plug.

Old 09-26-2019, 11:34 AM
surfmanrescue
New User
No problem...thanks for replying...

Old 09-26-2019, 06:36 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
If it comes down to a plug body getting old and failing to hold the pins in place I know that some plugs are available.
Your best bet would be to call and talk to Ed or Scott at https://www.ficmrepair.com
They should be able to get it for you. The hard part is the repining. Well not really that hard. Just dealing with a
large bundle of wires and getting each pin back in it correct place can be tricky for some.

Quick Reply: 6.0 middle PCM connector