2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Running Boards ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 03:18 PM
44Dan44
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by duckduke
It seems you need something to help get in and out of these even at stock stance.

I was thinking about a fixed board to double as a rock guard and help protect the lower panels. Some have mentioned some of these also help protect from parking lot door dings, etc. I actually like the 6" extended board which is just a $230 option. An extended boards would be great for help with bed access.

Anyway.... just thought I would see what some opinions are on why you use what you use for cab steps / running boards.

Thanks!!!!!!!
I test drove one that had neither power nor fixed running boards. I knew I would be getting them but the test drive confirmed, I wouldn't want to own this truck without running boards. I'm 5'11" which I guess is average. I wonder if some that complain about back pain from the seats aren't actually tweaking their backs climbing up into the cab.
I chose the extended running boards as you mentioned, a cheap option for the added utility and protection.

Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2017, 03:28 PM
tony m 6.7
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice truck and cool pup Dan!!

Old 07-12-2017, 04:02 PM
duckduke
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 44Dan44
I test drove one that had neither power nor fixed running boards. I knew I would be getting them but the test drive confirmed, I wouldn't want to own this truck without running boards. I'm 5'11" which I guess is average. I wonder if some that complain about back pain from the seats aren't actually tweaking their backs climbing up into the cab.
I chose the extended running boards as you mentioned, a cheap option for the added utility and protection.
Thanks!! I remember seeing your extended boards in another pic you put online. A Lariat I test drove about 2 weeks ago had 'em. I don't know why the are as inexpensive as they are. They are nice and wide and cover a long way..... who cares. I think they are great for fixed running board.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:14 PM
44Dan44
More Turbo
Thanks Tony!

Agree Duke, mine are exactly what I wanted and serve another purpose for me as well. No jumping in or out, too hard on the joints. https://www.chewy.com/solvit-ultrali...-ramp/dp/53683 DO NOT BUY at this price though, $49 is routine.

Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2017, 04:25 PM
17CCLB250
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I did end up going with the Luverne grip steps, wheel to wheel, for CCLB. I've had them for a few months now and they are wicked awesome.

You can get your whole foot on them, the protect the rockers extremely well, and are very very solid. The end caps on mine are actually metal, there is 0 plastic anywhere on the boards

Cleaning them is a breeze with the grating. They are ridiculously grippy, even in rain or mud there is 0 chance you will slip off without trying. They stick out just enough that car doors will contact the board before your door which is a plus. Not far enough to have to consider when parking or turning tight though. They also do not hang below the frame rails, so ground clearance isn't affected.

Of note: if you do go this direction, it is definitely a two man job. The rear mount for the boards actually connects to the rear leaf shackle mount! Do not try to do this your self unless you get the cab only model.

They are pretty expensive, but in my experience worth every penny. Just let me know if you have any questions about them.

Name:  20170217_141030 - Copy.jpg
Views: 3997
Size:  2.14 MB

Old 07-12-2017, 04:33 PM
44Dan44
More Turbo
That's nice coverage wheel to wheel 17CCLB250. Saw these on the Alaska thread, great utility.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:41 PM
17CCLB250
Junior User
That's nice coverage wheel to wheel 17CCLB250. Saw these on the Alaska thread, great utility.
Yep that's where I first saw them too. Took a bit of tracking down to finally get a part number and price. As you can see in my picture, everything is frequently dirty. I am under 6'4" tall so having access to the tool box without having to always get up close and personal with the side of the truck was a must.

Getting in from the side still requires the old side step -> tire -> swing leg over maneuver though.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:44 PM
duckduke
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 17CCLB250
Yep that's where I first saw them too. Took a bit of tracking down to finally get a part number and price. As you can see in my picture, everything is frequently dirty. I am under 6'4" tall so having access to the tool box without having to always get up close and personal with the side of the truck was a must.

Getting in from the side still requires the old side step -> tire -> swing leg over maneuver though.
That is awesome. I've had them book marked since the Alaska thread. It's nice to see a better shot of them on a SD. Thanks for getting those up!!

Yep... they are not cheap. I've been checking and you can get them for a little less at a few places but not much off. Thanks again!!

Old 07-12-2017, 04:56 PM
CRSFX4
Senior User
I have the DeeZee version of the Grip Step but not wheel to wheel. I lined the front up to the front door seam and they extend just about exactly to the seam between the cab and bed. The DeeZee end closure is just a piece of "C" metal that bolts inside of the step....the Luverne end cap design looks better. Otherwise, I like the design of the steps very much....wife loves them.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:43 PM
Notmeofficer
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 17CCLB250
I did end up going with the Luverne grip steps, wheel to wheel, for CCLB. I've had them for a few months now and they are wicked awesome.

You can get your whole foot on them, the protect the rockers extremely well, and are very very solid. The end caps on mine are actually metal, there is 0 plastic anywhere on the boards

Cleaning them is a breeze with the grating. They are ridiculously grippy, even in rain or mud there is 0 chance you will slip off without trying. They stick out just enough that car doors will contact the board before your door which is a plus. Not far enough to have to consider when parking or turning tight though. They also do not hang below the frame rails, so ground clearance isn't affected.

Of note: if you do go this direction, it is definitely a two man job. The rear mount for the boards actually connects to the rear leaf shackle mount! Do not try to do this your self unless you get the cab only model.

They are pretty expensive, but in my experience worth every penny. Just let me know if you have any questions about them.

Attachment 189361
Could you please tell me how they are mounted,,,

Did you have to drill any holes?

Are they all hard point mounted or are the brackets connected to the sheet metal?

Thank you

Old 07-12-2017, 08:53 PM
CRSFX4
Senior User
Originally Posted by Notmeofficer
Could you please tell me how they are mounted,,,

Did you have to drill any holes?

Are they all hard point mounted or are the brackets connected to the sheet metal?

Thank you
The steps are a C channel design. The kit comes with flat plates with slotted holes. You lay the plate in the flanges of the step, line it up with the holes in the bracket and bolt it down....basically sandwiching the step in place....if that makes sense. No drilling.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:00 PM
Notmeofficer
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CRSFX4
The steps are a C channel design. The kit comes with flat plates with slotted holes. You lay the plate in the flanges of the step, line it up with the holes in the bracket and bolt it down....basically sandwiching the step in place....if that makes sense. No drilling.
Thank you ..that makes sense
My question was how do they attach to the truck itself... Do the brackets attach to the frame?...bodymounts? Or in the case the crew I understand the rear spring shackle

I am trying to confirm you don't have to drill into the cab and use threadserts or sheetmtal screws like many boards mounted historically

Thanks again

Old 07-13-2017, 10:06 AM
17CCLB250
Junior User
My question was how do they attach to the truck itself... Do the brackets attach to the frame?...bodymounts? Or in the case the crew I understand the rear spring shackle

I am trying to confirm you don't have to drill into the cab and use threadserts or sheetmtal screws like many boards mounted historically

Thanks again
Nope, no drilling whatsoever. The rearmost mount does attach to the rear leaf shackle, and the other three mounting points use the studs/mounting points that the factory boards use. Even if you didn't get factory boards, you should still have the studs/mounting points there. I believe they are on every truck regardless.

These points are not on the frame, they are on the body however. I asked around when doing my research and nobody made any kind of boards that were frame mount (at least not yet).

The mounting brackets for the boards are ordered as a separate part number, and contain everything you need. There is no drilling/tapping required. All bolt/washer/nut hardware.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:13 AM
tony m 6.7
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks Tony!

Agree Duke, mine are exactly what I wanted and serve another purpose for me as well. No jumping in or out, too hard on the joints. https://www.chewy.com/solvit-ultrali...-ramp/dp/53683 DO NOT BUY at this price though, $49 is routine.
How considerate for the dog and also benefits the truck-less wear and tear from pup jumping in and out! Although I must say that is quite a leap, these trucks stand tall for sure.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:01 PM
CRSFX4
Senior User

Thanks again
Yep, sorry, as the poster above said, the studs are already in place to mount the brackets....that's the easy part. Lining-up the plates/steps onto the brackets was a bit "fussier" classic case of the first side taking about 1.5 hours and the 2nd side taking about 20 minutes once I figured out a system.

Quick Reply: Running Boards ???