Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official Happy Hour Thread - Pull Up A Chair, Sit A Spell, What's The Latest?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 06:51 AM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Sox !

Old 10-29-2018, 07:04 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
I haven't been super active on the forums lately, but on Monday the 22nd we had to put our 15 year old American Eskimo Ladybug to sleep. We had a vet home to the house, she was surrounded by family on her own bed. She was such a sweet dog and minded so well. She really went down hill fast, deaf, mostly blind and hard time walking. It's been a hard week because I can't stop looking for her subconsciously or think I hear her collar jingle.

I know most of you are also dog lovers and know the heartache.

So sorry to hear of your loss Russ. Its never an easy thing to go threw. Doggies are such loving family members they are sometimes the hardest ones to lose. Hang in there buddy, it gets better.

Old 10-31-2018, 03:04 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 829 Likes on 569 Posts
Iceland is pretty cool, very European in designs and fashion but very American too in culture and entertainment, and everyone speaks very good American English.
Here I'm standing on the European tectonic plate looking across at the North American plate, it so geologically active here they can measure the annual movement apart of the two plates with a tape measure! Hundreds of little earth quakes weekly.

http://imgur.com/3O6sHMy

Most of their domestic energy here comes from geothermal, makes sense when you have these things randomly throwing boiling water into the air.

http://imgur.com/hA6fycm

Lots of untapped hydro power all around the island to.........

http://imgur.com/mWxHl9C

We are hoping to see the Northern Lights tonight, will be a first for all of us! The forecast looks good!

Old 10-31-2018, 09:00 PM
DavenTn
Fleet Mechanic
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Iceland is thinking about a tourist lottery system since the infrastructure is being overwhelmed.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:37 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Originally Posted by DavenTn
Iceland is thinking about a tourist lottery system since the infrastructure is being overwhelmed.
Correct, and until they begin the lottery don't even think about visiting without having advanced reservations, even now in the off season lots of places are full.

Today we visited a few big waterfalls and got a little wet, fun in -2C weather. Then saw our first glacier and got to explore it for a short while, then checked out some huge basalt cliffs on the ocean and took a walk on a black sand beach. Fitness dohicky says 14,700 steps today, all in clean clear brisk air under clear skies. Staying in Vik tonight and had another great meal, all of the food so far has been excellent.
Tomorrow we are going on a glacier ice walk/hike and then an ice cave tour, will also see another glacier where it calves off bergs. Have driven just over 1,000 Km so far and still have most of the trip yet to go, we have a brand new Toyota Landcruiser that is pretty nice.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:40 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts

I don't do a lot of FB, but I thought this was pretty mind blowing....

Stewart

Old 11-02-2018, 10:28 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Doom on you for not reading the Swingline manual in its entirety.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:07 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
It's 10AM local time and we are sitting and sipping coffee looking out the window over the fishing town of Hofn on the far South Eastern coast of Iceland, its -2C snowing and blowing at about 40MPH in off the ocean, it's a pleasant day by local standards!
Today we continue up along the Eastern coast, about 4 hours of drive time with stops along the way in a few villages, should see lots of great rugged coastline and lots of seals, not many people though. This area is very sparsely populated and where not covered by the ice cap is mostly barren Arctic Tundra, which is surprisingly beautiful in its own way.
Wifi is iffy at some of the places we are staying, will try to get some pics up tonight.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:38 AM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
Made me look at the stapler on my desk, it's an ACCO made in USA. Does NOT have staple storage, more fake news from FB!

Tom, are you guys doing a big loop around the island on hwy 1? I see some lovely pics online from that lil town.

Old 11-03-2018, 11:40 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
SoDak 2018

View this post on Instagram

Taking a champion to his “final resting place”

We are in SoDak for pheasant season among other things.

Borrowed this girl from MIL, along with my two boys

Curious George call name “Rio”

Last picture of Rio (center)

Old 11-03-2018, 12:51 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Mark, letting Rio rest in SD where he had so much fun is pretty awesome.

Old 11-03-2018, 01:25 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
Made me look at the stapler on my desk, it's an ACCO made in USA. Does NOT have staple storage, more fake news from FB!

Tom, are you guys doing a big loop around the island on hwy 1? I see some lovely pics online from that lil town.
Yes, we are circling the entire island counter clockwise mostly on hwy 1. I can't share the place names that we are or have been without a cheat sheet, Icelandic ain't easy! But we are staying on a big lake in the Eastern mountains where legend has a lake monster (verm) Like Nessy, hopefully we will get moving again in the morning without any of us getting eaten by the verm.
They are getting their first snow of the season here, started last night and is still snowing, snowmen EVERYWHERE!!!
We have visited several remote towns and villages (populations as low as 160) and had some really great adventures so far. Yesterday morning we went for a glacier walk and climb for 3.5 hours, then left that and had to hurry to make our Super Jeep Glacier adventure farther along the coast, monster truck ride way up onto a huge glacier then out on the ice by foot to explore a couple of ice caves, unlike anything that I've ever seen before, truelly awesome.
Eric, we are traveling with the same folks that you met (minus Dale's mom) in OH, all are having a blast here, so much to see that is so different from our daily lives.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:43 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Staying on Lake Myvatn in the far North of Iceland the past 2 days, finally had clear night sky and good atmospheric conditions that allowed for this.

http://imgur.com/8binM8X

http://imgur.com/S15HYHd

http://imgur.com/wyC9Rj8

Old 11-05-2018, 08:07 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
Spectacular!

Old 11-05-2018, 09:00 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
finally had clear night sky and good atmospheric conditions that allowed for this.
Wow, I have always marveled at the phenomenon.

Stewart

Quick Reply: The Official Happy Hour Thread - Pull Up A Chair, Sit A Spell, What's The Latest?