Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official Happy Hour Thread - Pull Up A Chair, Sit A Spell, What's The Latest?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 10:41 PM
gots_a_sol
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Bought myself a new-to-me dirt bike. '17 Beta 250RE

Went down to southern WV/Hatfield-McCoy trails 2 weeks ago. I got to drive buddy's '17 superduty for a little bit. Man that thing is so sweet. Way out of my budget though.

A bit less new now

Riding buddy's dad sent his quad off on the first day as well, but it didn't take it as well. He seemed to be ok other than seriously sore and a big knot on his leg. Sounded like he fell in a wheel rut and the quad more or less rolled over top of him on its way over the side of the mountain.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:57 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
Looks like fun Joe, though I could do without the whoopsies.

Been working on these the last few days. Still to get a clear coat yet.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:22 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
I'm probably qualified to melt trailer parts together for RV manufacturers, but it would be a stretch to say I can weld. Make hay while the sun shines Andy!
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
I can lay a decent bead, but I've seen enough of your work to know I'm not in your league Andy. Too much (paying) work is a much better problem than not enough!

I do have some trailer jobs and plug weld jobs you guys could take on. There will be beer and food!

Old 06-14-2018, 07:51 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
Beer and food are two of my favorite words Andy, if I were a little closer I'd take you up on that!

Old 06-15-2018, 09:24 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts
Yesterday I got reminded that the PowerTour was in Raleigh, the tubbed out Camaro at rush hour jogged my memory.

I looked at the route and saw they are actually running the back roads 5 miles from my house. I am kicking myself that I didn't take the day off and hop in the Chevelle. Oh well, I saw quite a show on my way in to work, my window was down and thumbs up all of the way in. Awesome cars from Mustangs, tri 5 Chevys, Cougars, Chevelles, Falcons and even a Superbird.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:32 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Happy Father’s Day all.

Old 06-18-2018, 04:56 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Need Help From Someone Tech- Savvy

I'm hoping to get some advice from the more tech savvy guys or gals here. For me this is camper related, but hoping someone who travels for work might help me out.

We have a Roku TV in our camper. Last weekend we stayed at a campsite that had wifi (included with the site rental). I could not connect the Roku to the campground's wifi properly. No problem with the phone or tablet. It looks like the Roku makes the separate wifi connections to work properly ( ????? Or am I mistaken).

Anyway..... did some internet / youtube searching, and it looks like I need a travel router in order to watch my Roku / Netflix. Curious if anyone here might do this while traveling and explain this in a way that I can understand ? I have no problem buying a travel router as long as a non-tech guy can figure out how to set it up once I'm out camping again.

We will be in the same campsite in July for 12 days and I'm hoping to be able to watch tv while there. Unfortunately, expanding our cell plan to "unlimited data' to use a phone as a hotspot is not really an option at this time.

Anyone ?

Thanks !

Old 06-18-2018, 06:17 PM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
Received 497 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by IMASAP
I'm hoping to get some advice from the more tech savvy guys or gals here. For me this is camper related, but hoping someone who travels for work might help me out.

We have a Roku TV in our camper. Last weekend we stayed at a campsite that had wifi (included with the site rental). I could not connect the Roku to the campground's wifi properly. No problem with the phone or tablet. It looks like the Roku makes the separate wifi connections to work properly ( ????? Or am I mistaken).

Anyway..... did some internet / youtube searching, and it looks like I need a travel router in order to watch my Roku / Netflix. Curious if anyone here might do this while traveling and explain this in a way that I can understand ? I have no problem buying a travel router as long as a non-tech guy can figure out how to set it up once I'm out camping again.

We will be in the same campsite in July for 12 days and I'm hoping to be able to watch tv while there. Unfortunately, expanding our cell plan to "unlimited data' to use a phone as a hotspot is not really an option at this time.

Anyone ?

Thanks !
If we are on the same page, a travel router that is being referred to is a Hot Spot that requires a data plan. What Roku device do you have or is it built into your TV? If built-in to your TV does your TV have the ability to get WiFi? Each device must get its own WiFi connection. Phone, tablet, Roku, TV, etc.

If your Roku plugs into your TV, I believe the Roku IS going to need to get WiFi on its own. You might have to use the TV to go to the Roku setup page and connect it to the WiFi.

I'm a retired Network Administrator for the Federal Courts, so let me know if I can try to be of any assistance.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:31 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
I have a Roku TV at home but I also have regular Rokus that I have used in the camper. This may not apply to a Roku TV but worth a try.

When at an RV park you need to have your phone WIFI enabled and connect it to the ROKUs built in WIFI. On your phone a webpage will pop up from the Roku.You have to enter the RVPark's password in your phone and the Roku will connect to the WiFi.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:01 AM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by ShelbyHauler
If we are on the same page, a travel router that is being referred to is a Hot Spot that requires a data plan. What Roku device do you have or is it built into your TV? If built-in to your TV does your TV have the ability to get WiFi? Each device must get its own WiFi connection. Phone, tablet, Roku, TV, etc.

If your Roku plugs into your TV, I believe the Roku IS going to need to get WiFi on its own. You might have to use the TV to go to the Roku setup page and connect it to the WiFi.

I'm a retired Network Administrator for the Federal Courts, so let me know if I can try to be of any assistance.
When I say travel router, this is the type of device I'm talking about.

Amazon Amazon

This will connect to the campground wifi, then I would connect my Roku TV to it.

This is what I came up with when searching for a way to connect my Roku TV to wifi when traveling. I'm not sure this is what I would need.... I guess I'm asking if I need one to use the Roku TV.

I definitely don't want to add unlimited data to our cell plan, nor pay for any device that needs a data plan. I just want to be able to connect the Roku TV to the campground wifi and watch the same TV we watch at home.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:07 AM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
I have a Roku TV at home but I also have regular Rokus that I have used in the camper. This may not apply to a Roku TV but worth a try.

When at an RV park you need to have your phone WIFI enabled and connect it to the ROKUs built in WIFI. On your phone a webpage will pop up from the Roku.You have to enter the RVPark's password in your phone and the Roku will connect to the WiFi.
So, you have no problem connection your Roku to campground wifi ? I wish I were still there because I'm not sure I understand what you mean by connect my phone to the Roku and enter the campground password. Technically, there isn't a password, I just need to click a button accepting their terms of use. Perhaps I can figure out what you mean and accept their terms of use for it to connect to their wifi. I realize I can use my phone as a wifi hotspot to watch the Roku, but I don't want to burn up my limited data on my phone.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:19 AM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt the Roku will be able to interactively log in to the campground wifi, I believe its SSID setup doesn't allow for that.

You can do some crazy stuff with networking on a laptop with 2 wireless interfaces to use the campgrounds wifi as a WAN, then share its connection with other devices in your camper by broadcasting its own SSID. However that might be more difficult to do...

Old 06-19-2018, 10:31 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
So, you have no problem connection your Roku to campground wifi ? I wish I were still there because I'm not sure I understand what you mean by connect my phone to the Roku and enter the campground password. Technically, there isn't a password, I just need to click a button accepting their terms of use. Perhaps I can figure out what you mean and accept their terms of use for it to connect to their wifi. I realize I can use my phone as a wifi hotspot to watch the Roku, but I don't want to burn up my limited data on my phone.
I am trying to find it online but I cant.
IIRC you have the ROKU on the WIFI for the campground. Your ROKU sends out a WIFI network signal and if you look on your available connections on your phone you will see it (the ROKU will still be connected to WIFI) Connect to the ROKU. go to your browser on the phone and the Terms of use can be acknowledged there. This is because the Roku does not have a built in browser. Once the Roku is connected go back to your normal WIFI connection.
The Roku just needs a way for you to acknowledge the agreement.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:55 AM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
I am trying to find it online but I cant.
IIRC you have the ROKU on the WIFI for the campground. Your ROKU sends out a WIFI network signal and if you look on your available connections on your phone you will see it (the ROKU will still be connected to WIFI) Connect to the ROKU. go to your browser on the phone and the Terms of use can be acknowledged there. This is because the Roku does not have a built in browser. Once the Roku is connected go back to your normal WIFI connection.
The Roku just needs a way for you to acknowledge the agreement.
Now that I have looked at Roku devices on Amazon, I understand what you are saying. the higher end Rokus have their own built in wifi. My Roku TV does not...... but I will consider this for the second TV in the camper. It sounds like this would solve my problem.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:03 AM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
Received 497 Likes on 147 Posts
When I say travel router, this is the type of device I'm talking about.

https://www.amazon.com/HooToo-Wirele...=travel+router

This will connect to the campground wifi, then I would connect my Roku TV to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7q5R81FT4k

This is what I came up with when searching for a way to connect my Roku TV to wifi when traveling. I'm not sure this is what I would need.... I guess I'm asking if I need one to use the Roku TV.

I definitely don't want to add unlimited data to our cell plan, nor pay for any device that needs a data plan. I just want to be able to connect the Roku TV to the campground wifi and watch the same TV we watch at home.
I watched the video and found the exact device that he is using. Seems his version might be obsolete and replaced with this one that does not have the built-in battery/charger:

Amazon Amazon

The description for the device states:
  • TRAVEL ROUTER: Instantly convert a wired network to wireless with easy setup. Also can bridge an existing wireless network, create your own secure Wi-Fi network.

Honestly, it looks like he left out some of his setup/configuration settings from his video, and I am really not sure why this is needed. Per this video @ 3:10 the HooToo is to take a wired network (network cable plug) and turn it into a WiFi signal.

The hotel room video shows him finding the hotel's WiFi and then logging into the HooToo via the computer and telling HooToo to use the hotel's WiFi. What is missing, is where he has his Roku box connect to his HooToo's rebroadcast of the hotel's WiFi. (rebroadcast: the HooToo receives and then re-transmits the same WiFi signal, just like a WiFi extender)

So, the hotel already has WiFi, not a hard cable. He is using his HooToo to receive the WiFi. The HooToo then re-transmits the WiFi with a new SSID Name to his Roku box that seems to be previously set up/configured to do so. Honestly, I could do the same without the HooToo box as the Roku box has the ability to receive WiFi on its own. Now maybe, the hotel has devices like Roku blocked, in which case the HooToo box is masking the Roku.

This might be your case at the campground, though as they do not provide TV service (that you might have to pay to get movies), I do not see why they would block it.

Is this the only campground that you have not been able to hook the Roku up to via provided WiFi?

If I did not convey this clear enough, please let me know what part so I can clarify.

Quick Reply: The Official Happy Hour Thread - Pull Up A Chair, Sit A Spell, What's The Latest?