Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official Happy Hour Thread - Pull Up A Chair, Sit A Spell, What's The Latest?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 07:41 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Ford is quitting cars?

Except for two.... so I read. I see Fords plan working until gas hits $3.50 again. Then they will be out of business.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:08 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I bet they come out with a whole new lineup after awhile and brag how great they are.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:44 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 214 Likes on 144 Posts
I am glad we just bought our second Fusion. With no cars I will probably be buying a Toyota when the time comes.
All of the SUVs out there are wimps. Once you have an Ex you can't go back.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:51 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Ford is quitting cars?
What are you talking about?

Stewart

Old 04-26-2018, 01:11 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,079 Likes on 555 Posts
Industry rumors (Ford officially denies) that they are dropping slow selling sedans in favor of the "they all look the same blobs" as I call them (SUV's), trucks, and electric. Take the badges off and I can't tell the difference between a Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Hyundai, or Mercedes. They all look the same and almost all of them are silver!

My very unscientific observations support that idea. At the car show this years, all the crossover blobs were crowded with people looking no matter what brand. And since it seems every 3rd vehicle on the road is one, I can see sedans becoming very few.

I will go out on a small limb and say car ownership by the individual will NOT be the norm in not that many years.(Less than 25 yrs) I can see a high percentage of kids born today never get their driver's license, just order up the driverless uber or whatever it will be called then. I realize many of you will scoff at that concept, but remember this. People on this forum and others like it are "enthusiasts" and like vehicles. MOST of the sheeple out there hate driving, hate their cars, and hate paying for them.

Just for the record, I consider the EX as a truck, certainly not what today is called an SUV.

Rant over!

Old 04-26-2018, 05:10 PM
ArmyLifer
Fleet Mechanic
Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts
After 16 days on Oahu, driving all over the island, I saw exactly 4 Excursions. All of them pulling grocery-getter, kid toting duties. I’d hate to have to park one there or fill one up.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:05 AM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
What are you talking about?

Stewart
There was an article floating around...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ford-...222754431.html

Old 04-27-2018, 09:43 AM
96firephoenix
Laughing Gas
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Just had the electrical service disconnected at the house so that I can start re-wiring the main breaker panel...

Hopefully buying "my" excursion tonight - Had 2 brake calipers seize on the drive last night, but that looks like the last issue keeping me from it.

Would be nice to use the excursion this weekend.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:13 AM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by 96firephoenix
Just had the electrical service disconnected at the house so that I can start re-wiring the main breaker panel...

Hopefully buying "my" excursion tonight - Had 2 brake calipers seize on the drive last night, but that looks like the last issue keeping me from it.

Would be nice to use the excursion this weekend.
Hope you get "your" X!

So, for your electrical panel, did you just call the power company and have them do it? I need to change my panel and have threatened to pull the meter myself but it's electronic and I'm pretty sure they'd notice...that, and I'm not a licensed electrician, so if we were to sell the house I'm not sure how that'd play if it didn't have someones sticker on it.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:13 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
Industry rumors (Ford officially denies) that they are dropping slow selling sedans in favor of the "they all look the same blobs" as I call them (SUV's), trucks, and electric. Take the badges off and I can't tell the difference between a Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Hyundai, or Mercedes. They all look the same and almost all of them are silver!

My very unscientific observations support that idea. At the car show this years, all the crossover blobs were crowded with people looking no matter what brand. And since it seems every 3rd vehicle on the road is one, I can see sedans becoming very few.

I will go out on a small limb and say car ownership by the individual will NOT be the norm in not that many years.(Less than 25 yrs) I can see a high percentage of kids born today never get their driver's license, just order up the driverless uber or whatever it will be called then. I realize many of you will scoff at that concept, but remember this. People on this forum and others like it are "enthusiasts" and like vehicles. MOST of the sheeple out there hate driving, hate their cars, and hate paying for them.

Just for the record, I consider the EX as a truck, certainly not what today is called an SUV.

Rant over!
Cars are just not useful, at least for me. The only reason I own my Chrysler 300C is pure sentimental attachment and the fact I love it. But for my lifestyle it is not practical at all, I'm always hauling something or have the cargo area loaded. Even if I'm not doing that I want the option to do so. I like going into Lowes knowing I can buy just about anything in the store and be able to bring it home with me.

Old 04-27-2018, 12:04 PM
96firephoenix
Laughing Gas
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by EXSwap
Hope you get "your" X!

So, for your electrical panel, did you just call the power company and have them do it? I need to change my panel and have threatened to pull the meter myself but it's electronic and I'm pretty sure they'd notice...that, and I'm not a licensed electrician, so if we were to sell the house I'm not sure how that'd play if it didn't have someones sticker on it.
we're replacing the mast (relocate away from tree and upgrade to 200A) as well, so I had to have the power company come out. You should probably have them come out just to be safe. Some jurisdictions may try to stick you with theft of service if you pull the meter.

As far as you not being an electrician, I'm not either. Just contact your local building dept, and ask what the requirements are. My city only requires that the work be inspected. The city I used to live in required a licenced electrician or go through a very rigorous interview process for a homeowner's licence.

I do know my power company requires a signed inspection before they hook it back up.

I'm hoping to rewire the garage at the same time while I've got the inspector... noticed some suuuuper shady wiring while I was in there. There's a splice just tied up with tape, not in a junction box, and some strange single 12ga wire jumpered between switch boxes... Along with outlet boxes mounted where boxes shouldn't be mounted.

Basically, I'm just glad the wiring hasn't burned the place down by now.

Old 04-27-2018, 12:20 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 214 Likes on 144 Posts
I have cars for commuting, the wife and I work in different cities and the cars get better mileage. Both are Fusions.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:00 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
I have cars for commuting, the wife and I work in different cities and the cars get better mileage. Both are Fusions.
I get it, I'm spoiled because for me it's a 8 mile commute one way and my company pays for my fuel. But before they did I still drove the Ex at 8 MPG just because I wanted to it did cost me during the $4.75/gal gas but...priorities lol

Today many small SUVs and even pickups get pretty damn good MPG. But I understand everyones needs are different and the numbers they can provide may still not make sense.

Old 04-27-2018, 02:52 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Vestibular Neuritis. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Saturday AM around 11, I started feeling dizzy, which got exponentially worse as the seconds ticked off. Within 2 minutes I was absolutely flat on the bathroom floor trying to stop the earth from rotating, puking my guts up onto the towel I grabbed.

Vertigo.

Wonderful.

And just so ya know, I do things big because mine was an extreme case.

I was dry heaving for 4 hours on the bathroom floor. Somehow I got to my bedroom where I continued for another 4 hours. Long story short, I was in the hospital over the weekend and was release Monday afternoon. I'm being treated with steroids but this is gonna take a few months to recover from, at least that's what they tell me.

I'm having trouble concentrating because there's too much visual stimulus, and trying to focus from monocular vision to binocular makes things worse. I won't be able to drive for a few weeks (their estimate...right now it feels like I never will) and I'm able to kind of walk a little bit without getting too bad. I can at least sit upright for long periods of time now.

This situation bites.

Stewart

Old 04-27-2018, 03:30 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,079 Likes on 555 Posts
Whoa, that's terrible Stewart! I'll be thinking about you.

Quick Reply: The Official Happy Hour Thread - Pull Up A Chair, Sit A Spell, What's The Latest?