Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official Happy Hour Thread - Pull Up A Chair, Sit A Spell, What's The Latest?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 04:38 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by EXSwap
The material seems to be cast aluminium and I'm not sure what corrosion, if any, would occur with the gas stored in there all the time.
Probably only react to any water in the fuel, long term.

Aluminum blocks, heads, and even fuel lines hold up to petroleum products pretty well, but if you're really concerned, KBS Coatings has stuff you can line the inside of a fuel tank with. I bet that would work for your pump, if it can be thinned enough to properly coat all of the smaller passages.

Stewart

Old 07-14-2017, 10:21 PM
High Cetane
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too much to quote, but I'll jump in.

The fuel cell (deemed the MOAS) is indeed considered not serviceable, due to parts not being available. The decision for this approach was done in a room w/ many liability Lawyers, a coupla/3 Engineers, and someone from the USCG.

These folks (well, most of them) were terrified that someone working under the shade of a tree, might dive in to a high pressure (gasoline) fuel system, located in a bilge, and possibly cut a corner or miss something.
And so, an un-servicable item, with powder-coat mistakenly applied to a surface in contact with gas (worse, an ethanol-like solvent) created this debacle.

Sidenote-While the Torx screws used to assemble are not considered "Tamper-proof", the first time you disassembled it, you might recall you had to dig out epoxy for the torx-bit. This epoxy was the "tattletell" that someone tampered w/ the MOAS. I'll let you guess who insisted on this and why.

Do not worry about corrosion affecting the inside of the bowl. If H2O is getting past the filter(s), especially the one actually on the MOAS, you'd have bigger problems. Leave it bare and let your filter/separator prevent the corrosion's cause.

* Disclaimer* The following are suggestions on servicing a non-serviceable VP MOAS fuel cell from a tired, upper middle-aged guy w/ poor memory and far too many miles.

Use Lacquer Thinner/MEK, or similar, to remove paint/PC from inside of cell.
Replace all o-rings. You will have to go aftermarket. This includes the o-rings on the lines themselves. They really are sacrificial and not intended for re-use. Use motor oil on them and their ports on reassembly.
Fill a new filter prior to install & initial dry start. The "first" pump is a low pressure pump, its "lift" ability is next to nil. Neither the LP or HP pump tolerates any dry running.
Cycle the key several times to let the pumps run to get fuel psi up prior to starting..all while checking for leaks. (Unplug the high side, and just run the LP for 1st leak check)
Above all else, make sure you have no leaks after reassembly....all with new o-rings.

Did mention to use new, (correct material Nitrile) o-rings, and check for leaks?

MOAS...Mother Of All (fuel) Systems....Wadn't me, I was too busy dealing w/the green ones.

Old 07-15-2017, 05:01 AM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We call this "yardkill". It is the good parts of an old Kawasaki Mule 500. It has the fe290 industrial motor that was used in a lot of golf carts and other than needing re-ringed and belching oil smoke and, it runs pretty good. Also repels bugs. It might be the most fun $100 can legally buy you on Craigslist. It will be this Winters welding project.

Old 07-15-2017, 03:40 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 216 Likes on 145 Posts
I bought a John Deere L100 this spring that had a blown engine, I put a 20 year old Craftsman engine in it, added an electric fuel pump and cut off switch. The rascal runs good. I am having belt issues. Now that most of the car emergencies are done for now I want to see if I can get this FrankenDeere cutting the grass.

Old 07-15-2017, 04:37 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Found a game on the phone, very addicting. I've never played any online games but this is a trivia game. You pick your topic(s) and play against random opponents, friends or play against the bot with wild card questions.

My topics: US States, US Historical Figures, US Presidents, MLB Basics and a few others.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:21 AM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by High Cetane
Too much to quote, but I'll jump in.

The fuel cell (deemed the MOAS) is indeed considered not serviceable, due to parts not being available. The decision for this approach was done in a room w/ many liability Lawyers, a coupla/3 Engineers, and someone from the USCG.

These folks (well, most of them) were terrified that someone working under the shade of a tree, might dive in to a high pressure (gasoline) fuel system, located in a bilge, and possibly cut a corner or miss something.
And so, an un-servicable item, with powder-coat mistakenly applied to a surface in contact with gas (worse, an ethanol-like solvent) created this debacle.

Sidenote-While the Torx screws used to assemble are not considered "Tamper-proof", the first time you disassembled it, you might recall you had to dig out epoxy for the torx-bit. This epoxy was the "tattletell" that someone tampered w/ the MOAS. I'll let you guess who insisted on this and why.

Do not worry about corrosion affecting the inside of the bowl. If H2O is getting past the filter(s), especially the one actually on the MOAS, you'd have bigger problems. Leave it bare and let your filter/separator prevent the corrosion's cause.

* Disclaimer* The following are suggestions on servicing a non-serviceable VP MOAS fuel cell from a tired, upper middle-aged guy w/ poor memory and far too many miles.

Use Lacquer Thinner/MEK, or similar, to remove paint/PC from inside of cell.
Replace all o-rings. You will have to go aftermarket. This includes the o-rings on the lines themselves. They really are sacrificial and not intended for re-use. Use motor oil on them and their ports on reassembly.
Fill a new filter prior to install & initial dry start. The "first" pump is a low pressure pump, its "lift" ability is next to nil. Neither the LP or HP pump tolerates any dry running.
Cycle the key several times to let the pumps run to get fuel psi up prior to starting..all while checking for leaks. (Unplug the high side, and just run the LP for 1st leak check)
Above all else, make sure you have no leaks after reassembly....all with new o-rings.

Did mention to use new, (correct material Nitrile) o-rings, and check for leaks?

MOAS...Mother Of All (fuel) Systems....Wadn't me, I was too busy dealing w/the green ones.
Great info! Thanks! One item you mention I haven't dealt with is the o-rings. I need to pull it all apart and find aftermarket replacements, and stock an extra set or two. I'm always very careful to make sure I don't have any leakage and check it on every startup. Kinda like running the blower for a bit before hand. I haven't personally seen a boat go up in flames, but I've seen enough videos and "after" pictures. It ain't pretty. I do remember the epoxy on the screw heads the first time I took it out. Good news is, after the fuel pump cleanout and spending 5 hours pulling every ground I could find, cleaning it, and reinstalling, no more trouble codes or engine alarm. Running pretty good and was able to get out on the water for some much needed R&R this weeknd.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:50 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by mecdac
Found a game on the phone, very addicting.
Fantasy Baseball and Plants vs Zombies 2 already have my attention, behind FTE. I don't need another excuse to not be productive during the day!

Stewart

Old 07-30-2017, 06:37 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Well there's a meteor shower and a Total Solar Eclipse
just like
sang about. An apricot scarf and all.

For Buddha's sake I've got to put new injectors in.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:01 PM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

So my business partner signed us up for this thing..... August 11th. Link for info below....yes there will be pictures, don't worry.

https://www.firstgiving.com/fundrais...her-shoes-2017

Old 07-31-2017, 04:38 PM
gots_a_sol
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Lost my old man on the 9th

He has taken up residence in the garage so I can yell at him when I can't find and/or break something

Also started driving this truck part time.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:42 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by gots_a_sol

He has taken up residence in the garage so I can yell at him when I can't find and/or break something
Sorry to hear that, Joe. At least he has a nice view.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:53 PM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Anybody like cool AR stuff?

AR-15 3D Full Float Handguards

Old 07-31-2017, 09:20 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Joe, I hope he was good and old when he went. If not, I am sorry to hear about him passing. Like Mark said, he has a good view! Nice of you to give him the high ground.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:21 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldguyfl
Anybody like cool AR stuff?
Only in .308 or larger...

Old 08-01-2017, 07:43 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 831 Likes on 571 Posts
Joe, Sorry about your Pop passing, but I think it's pretty awesome to have him hanging out in the garage with you now.

And driving that rollback will be very handy, I think you have posted more pictures of projects on trailers than anyone else here.

Quick Reply: The Official Happy Hour Thread - Pull Up A Chair, Sit A Spell, What's The Latest?