Paint matched door handles and tailgate handle - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint matched door handles and tailgate handle

Old 07-08-2017, 03:00 PM
Posting Guru

the_auto_tech has a good reputation on FTE.the_auto_tech has a good reputation on FTE.the_auto_tech has a good reputation on FTE.
Paint matched door handles and tailgate handle

What did you guys do for this? I know some trucks came with them but my Limited has chrome door handles and tailgate handle. I'd like to paint match them but wasn't sure if they could be removed and painted or if I would need to buy new door handles and tailgate handle that then would be painted. It's pretty much the last exterior upgrade I wanna do besides painting the chrome strip on the running boards. Thanks guys!
Old 07-08-2017, 07:12 PM
Posting Guru

zxwut? has a good reputation on FTE.zxwut? has a good reputation on FTE.
I don't have experience with performing this myself but since no one else has chipped in, I'll give it a go.

Here's what I would do if I were in your shoes. I would visit 2-3 reputable body shops in person to receive quotes to paint them for me. I would also go to Google and search "painting plastic door handles." The Google part isn't meant to be sarcastic or an ***; it's what I would do to see if it was something I'd want to try tackling myself. Due to the cost of quality paint and material, plus my lack of experience painting, I would then probably pick the most reasonable bid. That doesn't mean the cheapest; it means the shop that seems like they know what they are doing and aren't trying to rip me off.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:30 AM
Posting Guru

the_auto_tech has a good reputation on FTE.the_auto_tech has a good reputation on FTE.the_auto_tech has a good reputation on FTE.
One of the body shops I asked about doing it wouldn't paint the chrome ones, they said they would do it with paint to match handles. I would try and paint them myself but the truck is tri-coat while metallic.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:36 AM
Posting Guru

zxwut? has a good reputation on FTE.zxwut? has a good reputation on FTE.
If more than one shop told me that, I would believe it. LMC and others sell the bare plastic replacements. I suppose it just depends on how much you're willing to spend.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:59 PM
Junior User

paintballdude05 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just went through a similar ordeal with my XLT. From the factory it came with textured black cups but chrome handles like your Limited. I disassembled the handles and sanded down the textured finish on the cups in order to prep those to PTM. I got an extra set of chrome handles that were in good shape and used those in the new PTM cups. I also wanted a set of painted handles in case I ever changed my mind in the future so I took my old chrome ones and stripped the chrome off the handles. To do this I tore them down to just the chrome plated parts (this is very important for the next step), no other plastic of metal parts. Next, I dunked the plated parts in Muriatic/Hydrochloric acid until the platings dissolved (insert cautionary and liability statement here). After this I cleaned the parts really well and gave them a quick scuff and they were ready for paint.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:27 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballdude05 View Post
I just went through a similar ordeal with my XLT. From the factory it came with textured black cups but chrome handles like your Limited. I disassembled the handles and sanded down the textured finish on the cups in order to prep those to PTM. I got an extra set of chrome handles that were in good shape and used those in the new PTM cups. I also wanted a set of painted handles in case I ever changed my mind in the future so I took my old chrome ones and stripped the chrome off the handles. To do this I tore them down to just the chrome plated parts (this is very important for the next step), no other plastic of metal parts. Next, I dunked the plated parts in Muriatic/Hydrochloric acid until the platings dissolved (insert cautionary and liability statement here). After this I cleaned the parts really well and gave them a quick scuff and they were ready for paint.
Yea, I figured the chrome ones would need stripped. Most likely I'll just order a set of 4 door handle assemblies, take the handles out of them, have them painted, then disassemble mine, and install the painted handles. That way I don't have to worry so much about the paint not matching and then they won't need to paint the cups at all. Here's a set of 4 PTM door handles for 60 bucks shipped:

Front & Rear Right+Left Side New Set of 4 Door Handles Black LH RH Ford F-150 | eBay

Then I'd just have to get a tailgate handle. As much as I'd like to just paint my stock chrome ones I have a feeling it'll be worth it just to forgo trying to strip them and mess around with them and just order PTM ones.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:46 PM
Posting Guru

johnday has much to be proud ofjohnday has much to be proud ofjohnday has much to be proud ofjohnday has much to be proud ofjohnday has much to be proud ofjohnday has much to be proud ofjohnday has much to be proud ofjohnday has much to be proud of
Lost the link, but I bought covers off fleabay, and them PTMed. Cost me more for the paint than the covers. Think they came out decent.
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2017, 11:46 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnday View Post
Lost the link, but I bought covers off fleabay, and them PTMed. Cost me more for the paint than the covers. Think they came out decent.
Can you get me pictures with the handles pulled out? I was curious to see how much the covers actually cover. If they cover a lot then I may go that route instead of completely new handles.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:44 AM
Posting Guru

Bumping this up! Thinking of just buying some covers from eBay and having them painted instead of buying full new handles.