Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need a set of gauges

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 10:37 AM
jimjokjv
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Need a set of gauges

I guess I need to buy some gauges for my truck. It is stock but I plan to haul a 5th wheel from time to time and keep reading about EOT and EGT being critical.

Can someone recommend a cheap set of gauges that will get the job done. I cannot afford $300-$500 for a set at this time. And what gauges are the most important to have?

Old 07-07-2017, 10:54 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,459 Likes on 2,849 Posts
If your truck is 100% stock, you do not need gauges.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:58 AM
jimjokjv
More Turbo
Okay, thanks.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:04 PM
Karlow
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would get EGT and fuel pressure to help stay out of trouble. Your truck is not going to stay stock if you hang out around here anyway!

Old 07-07-2017, 01:52 PM
jimjokjv
More Turbo
Ha, ha. I am already wondering where to start. Bone stock right now and I know this motor has more to give.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:31 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
It has a lot more to give. Although, you can do bolt-on mods (intake, up-pipes, 4" exhaust) that are almost a maintenance item based on the condition of the OEM without needing gauges. If you want to put a chip/tuner on it, then you need at least an EGT gauge. A lot of automatic trucks like to go with trans temp, fuel pressure and EGT. I went with boost, fuel pressure and EGT because I have a ZF6.

ISSPro, AutoMeter, Glowsomething, etc... The list goes on and on about what you like the look of and how they are installed.

I installed ISSPro and had some initial problems. Their tech support is flawless though and made it right at no cost to me with next day shipping.

Alternatively, you can get TorquePro or Forscan at very little cost and see most PCM "gauges" except fuel pressure and EGT's.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:26 AM
jimjokjv
More Turbo
Thanks again for the help. I will plan to install some gauges in the near future.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:56 AM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
I put in glow shift gauges . EGT/Trans 8 years ago. Still working. Cheap gauges but still working. I hardly look at them anymore. Put it in "D" and go. This truck will last longer than I will "as is"

My fatherinlaw has a bone stock 01. Towed (10k lbs) back and forth from Florida for 15 years. No gauges at all, No tuners. No issues. The only thing I did to it, was the fuel tank mod to get the screens out. I think the reason his truck has run so well for him for so long pulling, he don't subscribe to this forum.. HA..

Old 07-10-2017, 11:03 AM
jimjokjv
More Turbo
Ha, I can see how reading all these posts can get a guy spending lots of money on his truck real fast.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:08 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
There's a reason why it's called Powerstroke Mod Syndrome, or PMS. The only real cure is to sell the truck. The next best cure is abstinence from FTE or any other truck forum, but then you're almost cutting your nose off to spite your face given the family camaraderie in here in FTE!

Old 07-10-2017, 11:16 AM
jimjokjv
More Turbo
I will say that this is the only forum that even bothered to answer my post asking for help with some codes.
Hoping these glow plugs will resolve the one and then I will tackle the other.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:29 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by jimjokjv
I will say that this is the only forum that even bothered to answer my post asking for help with some codes.
Hoping these glow plugs will resolve the one and then I will tackle the other.
Yeah this is a great site. We love to keep our and others peoples trucks running as close to 100% as possible. I've learned a ton from these good folks and try to help were I can.

I'm running Glowshift gauges for 6 years now. Have had to replace the fuel pressure sending unit a couple of times, once on their dime and once well after warranty expired($12 so it didn't hurt to bad)

They are not near the quality of ISSOPRO or Auto Meter but work and no where near the cost.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:47 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
There is a reason why this place (internet site) is considered a brotherhood/sisterhood. The "trolls" are usually run off pretty quick by the members and then permanently by the admins.

I have had help in person by several people on here, and virtually (online videos, picture and instructions) by hundreds. I have paid my favor back to FTE by becoming a paying member and then am still paying my debt to the members by doing videos and how-to instructions for the modifications I have completed.

Find a gauge you are happy with and go with it. If you go the boost gauge route, weigh the pros and cons regarding a mechanical or electrical gauge.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:03 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
OBDII adapter, a tablet or smart phone, and an OBDII app will cover all kinds of good stuff - Engine Oil Temperature, Injector Control Pressure, Boost, Transmission Fluid Temperature, Torque Converter Slip, etc.... The two key things not on the OBDII port are EGTs and Fuel pressure. Engine Coolant Temperature isn't on there with automatics, but you kinda have that on the dash already.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:41 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 785 Likes on 574 Posts
My dos centavos; for boost and fuel use a standalone mechanical gauge. The boost as reported thru the OBD port can be falsified by your tunes, and the fuel pressure is only available that way. The trans dash temp display completely sucks but the sensor in the trans available thru OBD is very good.

Quick Reply: Need a set of gauges