1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Photobucket no longer allows Image sharing

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 12:20 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ctubutis
The IB folks (owner of this forum) told us mods of this situation this morning, this is happening and there's nothing any of us can do about it.

They recommend using FTE servers for picture hosting which i also generally recommend BUT any albums can be hard to manage after they grow to multi-page in size...
Yup. But, I would have said multi-page albums are impossible to manage as you have no control over which page the next picture is loaded to and cannot move pictures between pages. So, my advice is to make any album you create small, and just have lots of albums - they are free.

Originally Posted by madpogue
Cool indeed, but one of the hardest things to impart to posters who obviously don't care about how their posts are written (spelling, proofreading, etc). It's like there's no recognition of the difference between the stone permanent nature of forums and the ephemera of chat, text, social media, etc. Reminds me of what Homer Simpson once said - "Why should I go to English class? I'm never goin' to England!"

This is why IB's advice is the best - attach pictures directly to the forum's own site.
Amen! I tend to not even read posts by people who don't care enough to write reasonably well since I usually can't understand what they are saying and have to make assumptions. And making assumptions when troubleshooting is a bad idea.

And, I fully agree on the forums vs chat/text/social media and, for that matter, web sites. Each have their place, with forums being great for problem solving but not for documentation. Chat/text/social media is very poor for problem solving, which is why I refuse to try to help people troubleshoot their trucks on Facebook. And web sites are great for documentation, but worthless for problem solving.

Old 07-04-2017, 01:50 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't really bother with albums anymore. You can attach directly to a post. Behind the scenes, the site piles those attachments into your "My Post Pics" album.

Old 07-04-2017, 01:52 PM
82_F100_300Six
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I thought supermotors was cool but never used them....are they still around?

Old 07-04-2017, 01:54 PM
86fn150
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-04-2017, 01:55 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by madpogue
I don't really bother with albums anymore. You can attach directly to a post. Behind the scenes, the site piles those attachments into your "My Post Pics" album.
True - although not with PM's. You still cannot put a pic in a PM without having saved it some place on the internet first. You'd think IB would have wanted to standardize that, but it has been that way for a few years now.

Old 07-04-2017, 01:57 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
A lot of work sites block Supermotors. When I'm reading while on break at work, there's one well-known member who always posts Supermotors pics/links and his pics/links don't even show on my browser.

Old 07-04-2017, 02:53 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Spelling errors and punctuation aren't that big a deal, so long as the message gets across. It's those 950 word run-on sentences that will make people's eyes glaze over. Paragraphs are our friends.

"So I was driving home the other day and I heard a bang and got pulled over and the cops said I had to move it so we went to Chuckie Cheese and they were having a special and when I started it wouldn't crank so Inwonder what it could be I poired a gallon of feul down the craberertor and it started on fire for anl ittlew hile and burnt my dog."

I was mainly referring to posts that folks have made, build threads and such across several hobbies and tech fields that often go on for several pages - the pics are all gone. In some cases of course the author has passed on. Google too long ago changed their search algorythm from "most relevant" to "most $$$" so a lot of great info just doesn't even hit anymore.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:05 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Tedster said:
Spelling errors and punctuation aren't that big a deal, so long as the message gets across. It's those 950 word run-on sentences that will make people's eyes glaze over. Paragraphs are our friends.

I was mainly referring to posts that folks have made, build threads and such across several hobbies and tech fields that often go on for several pages - the pics are all gone. In some cases of course the author has passed on. Google too long ago changed their search algorythm from "most relevant" to "most $$$" so a lot of great info just doesn't even hit anymore.
[Chris - Tedster's posts NEVER come up until the next guy posts, so it isn't random. They could fix this if they wanted to.]

Old 07-04-2017, 03:49 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Tedster said:

[Chris - Tedster's posts NEVER come up until the next guy posts, so it isn't random. They could fix this if they wanted to.]
I know, I saw that, same thing happened to me... IB knows about it but is having a hard time tracking it down, don't expect a fix soon.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:01 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by ctubutis
I know, I saw that, same thing happened to me... IB knows about it but is having a hard time tracking it down, don't expect a fix soon.
Not expecting a fix soon. I thought you'd said they thought it was random, but Tedster's posts never show up until the next guy posts. Anyway, I may have misunderstood. If they have a way to create it, which he can, then they should be able to solve it.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:18 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
I have a bad taste in my mouth using this site's picture hosting. I used it all the time till they upgraded the software and could not incorporate the old gallery function. While they have kept the old pictures so the old links are not dead, you can't get to them anymore.

As we progress with the forum software, I can see this happening again.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:21 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Franklin2
I have a bad taste in my mouth using this site's picture hosting. I used it all the time till they upgraded the software and could not incorporate the old gallery function. While they have kept the old pictures so the old links are not dead, you can't get to them anymore.

As we progress with the forum software, I can see this happening again.
I share your concerns. In fact, it was similar concerns that caused me to create my web site just so I have control over my pictures.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:26 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,103 Likes on 1,791 Posts
I think I will keep my domain and web site paid up so my pictures stay put.
I have way too albums with too many pictures in them to start using this site as a host.

As for Tedster wonder if he gets a pop up like I do once in a wile something about seeing all content? I say yes he may be saying no?
Dave ----

Old 07-04-2017, 04:32 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Dave - My approach as well. Any pics I really care about go on my web site. However, I do post lots of pics on here that it would be a shame to lose. So, maybe I should put all my pics on a spot on my web site and then go from it to FTE? Sounds much harder than straight to FTE off of my device.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:51 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I used to host my own pictures on an old PC... I think I'll put together a cheap passively cooled mini ITX machine with some large disks and use that for pictures I want to make public. Home internet these days is plenty fast for it. I'm not gonna pay an annual price to Photobucket that would cover me for over a decade of hosting myself.

Quick Reply: Photobucket no longer allows Image sharing