Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

2010 F-350 6.4L DRW King Ranch making whistling noise during acceleration

Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Old 06-29-2017, 11:09 AM
AVE8R
Freshman User
AVE8R is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hi Folks:

I have a 2010 F-350 6.4L DRW King Ranch. CAT & DPF Delete, Spartan Tuner, 66,000 miles.

It recently began making a whistle sound when accelerating, and I am noticing a small amount of black smoke coming out of the exhaust during the acceleration. Itís a whistle sound as opposed to a squeal sound that you might expect from a slipping belt.

The whistling sound occurs when the manifold/turbo gauge goes over roughly half or center position. When I let off the throttle, the noise stops.

I recently drove roughly 2,000 miles with a lot of rain, towing a 15,000 lb travel trailer. When towing, I use the Spartan 210 Tow Tune, and for every day use, Iíve been using the 300 tune.

The air filter was just replaced roughly 3,000 miles ago, but I am wondering if all the driving through rain and road grime could have clogged it to the point that the engine is sucking so hard, it developed a leak in a hose. If it isnít getting adequate fresh air, would that explain the smoke in the exhaust during acceleration. Obviously, I am most concerned if it is an issue with the turboís.

I bought the current air filter on Amazon and have ordered a new one. It is advertised as Motorcraft FA1886 Air Filter.

Amazon Amazon

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Old 06-29-2017, 07:15 PM
Picton
Senior User
Picton is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sounds like it could be a leak at the turbo seals. Another way to double check that would be to crawl under the truck and see if there is oil running down the back of the motor under/around where the turbos sit. Or...oil spatter on the underside of the hood where the turbos would sit with the hood closed.

You're using the correct Motorcraft filter...and I doubt it clogged up that quickly anyhow. Mainly the black smoke wouldn't be explained by a clogged air filter...sounds more like a turbo issue. Hopefully I'm wrong and fritz or someone will chime in.

Last edited by Picton; 06-29-2017 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Whiskey river...
Old 07-07-2017, 03:22 PM
AVE8R
Freshman User
*** SOLVED *** - 2010 F-350 6.4L DRW King Ranch making whistling noise during acceleration

Discovered small hole in the neoprene hose that connects the to the turbo.

Replaced neoprene hose. Sound is gone, smoke stopped on acceleration.

Originally Posted by AVE8R View Post
Hi Folks:

I have a 2010 F-350 6.4L DRW King Ranch. CAT & DPF Delete, Spartan Tuner, 66,000 miles.

It recently began making a whistle sound when accelerating, and I am noticing a small amount of black smoke coming out of the exhaust during the acceleration. Itís a whistle sound as opposed to a squeal sound that you might expect from a slipping belt.

The whistling sound occurs when the manifold/turbo gauge goes over roughly half or center position. When I let off the throttle, the noise stops.

I recently drove roughly 2,000 miles with a lot of rain, towing a 15,000 lb travel trailer. When towing, I use the Spartan 210 Tow Tune, and for every day use, Iíve been using the 300 tune.

The air filter was just replaced roughly 3,000 miles ago, but I am wondering if all the driving through rain and road grime could have clogged it to the point that the engine is sucking so hard, it developed a leak in a hose. If it isnít getting adequate fresh air, would that explain the smoke in the exhaust during acceleration. Obviously, I am most concerned if it is an issue with the turboís.

I bought the current air filter on Amazon and have ordered a new one. It is advertised as Motorcraft FA1886 Air Filter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Old 07-07-2017, 04:22 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
Thanks bro, I'll inspect. Cool that some posters actually get back to the glory hole when they find the issue they put they're suit on and jumped in in the first place!!

Hat's off to you, great find!

Denny

Old 07-07-2017, 08:08 PM
AVE8R
Freshman User
Posting Update

Originally Posted by DieselDenny View Post
Thanks bro, I'll inspect. Cool that some posters actually get back to the glory hole when they find the issue they put they're suit on and jumped in in the first place!!

Hat's off to you, great find!

Denny
Thank you sir.

I was incomplete in my posting. Yes, I believe that if someone posts a problem looking for help, it is important to share the solution once discovered, however I did not discover the problem. That credit belongs to Rick at Camden Diesel.

We have a very honest shop here in southern Georgia - Camden Diesel in Brunswick, GA. The owner is Rick. When I canít figure it out, they always do, and they are always fair and reasonable on price.

Dave

Old 07-10-2017, 09:43 AM
Picton
Senior User
Picton is starting off with a positive reputation.
Glad you got it worked out Dave. A bad hose is a hell of a lot better news than a turbo issue. Thanks for the follow up.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:41 AM
AVE8R
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Picton View Post
Glad you got it worked out Dave. A bad hose is a hell of a lot better news than a turbo issue. Thanks for the follow up.
Yes sir, and a lot less costly. Had me a little concerned...