6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

05 F250 SD 102k miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 09:22 PM
Fuha
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel

Is that as hot as it gets before it dies? Need to get EOT up to 190+*f to get a better read on the ICP/IPR%. Looks funky that IPR is 2-3 points low but ICP_V is 1.0 instead of 0.85V, but until it's warm that could just be a poorly timed screen shot.
I will get it warmed up tomorrow. It's going to the dealership this week sometime.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:08 PM
Fuha
Cargo Master

Sorry for the delay. Took me a bit to find a host for the picture.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:32 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
ICP_V and IPR are still weird, opposite of what you'd expect with a leak which would be lower pressure/higher IPR. Have you tried unplugging the ICP and seeing what it does running on the assumed value?

Old 07-19-2017, 01:59 PM
Fuha
Cargo Master

Just got a call from the dealership. They are saying that the ICP is bad and needs to be replaced along with the harness. Then they also believe the turbo needs to be replaced but they can't test that till the ICP is fixed.

1044.89 to fix the ICP if the turbo is bad it's covered under warranty!
Called my local dealer for part prices the ICP sensor is 167.17 and the pigtail is 90.23. So with my calculations parts are about $280 with tax.
They allow 3.5 hours of labor to do the sensor, that's a lot of labor charge.

2005 ICP is on passenger side valve cover behind the alternator if I remember reading that correct? How hard is this to do myself. I'm not familiar with the 6.0 but I am familiar with turning a wrench or two.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:14 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The ICP on the valve cover is the easiest thing to do on the truck. iIRC the socket is a 1 1/8 deep. Take you ten minutes.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:28 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ICP_V and IPR are still weird, opposite of what you'd expect with a leak which would be lower pressure/higher IPR. Have you tried unplugging the ICP and seeing what it does running on the assumed value?

nice catch Texastech_diesel

Old 07-19-2017, 03:22 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Originally Posted by Fuha
How hard is this to do myself.
To save about $750 on their labor you can learn to do it Cut the old connector out, solder the new one in, shrink some tube down on it On an '05 it's all up front on the passenger valve cover, so it's open and easy to get to. IMO i'd check the connector first, I've seen dealers say to replace dry ones simply because the book says do the connector also, just change the sensor first.

You should also be able to find a pigtail for more like $15-20, I'd call Riff Raff or FICMrepair to see what they can order. $90 is full across-the-counter retail rip off; a Dorman is $13 and since this isn't an oil seal I would be 100% fine running their connector.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:31 AM
Fuha
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by FiznUKa
The ICP on the valve cover is the easiest thing to do on the truck. iIRC the socket is a 1 1/8 deep. Take you ten minutes.
IRC? Is the ICP and IPR value the same size? I will need to purchase a deep well socket. If it's the same I just buy the IPR socket, may need it some day. Always need a good excuse for more tools!

You should also be able to find a pigtail for more like $15-20, I'd call Riff Raff or FICMrepair to see what they can order. $90 is full across-the-counter retail rip off; a Dorman is $13 and since this isn't an oil seal I would be 100% fine running their connector.
Thanks for the heads up on the pigtail. I will shop around see what I can find. As far as the ICP sensor I am assuming stock is best? You didn't say anything different here. Just want to do it right the first time.

Going to go and have a sit down chat with the service advisor. Both times I have spoken to her she has sounded very confused. I will have to pay a $159 dollar diagnostics fee to get it back. Want to make sure what they are saying is what's really wrong. Don't want to buy ICP sensor and it's actually IPR valve as when she spoke to me she was using the term "valve".

Old 07-20-2017, 12:14 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Yes use an OEM ICP sensor. Riff Raff sells that for about $30 cheaper than you quoted above.

IPR valve and pigtail you can do, too, if she comes back saying it was the valve and not the sensor. That pigtail tends to fail because of heat breaking down the plastic, they come apart when you remove them. That parts only $10:
IPR / VGT Soleniod Pigtail Connector Repair Kit 94-07

I want to say the IPR socket is 1 3/8", it's not the same size as the ICP.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:02 PM
Fuha
Cargo Master

Spoke to her today she lowered the price to around 750. The sensor and pigtail was marked up. WAY UP. Asked it I could pop the hood on the truck wanted to see where it was. The mechanic came out to talk to me about it. I looked him dead in the eye and said "It's going to take you 2 hours to replace that?" He said with the pigtail yes, he had it unplugged so I was able to see the end there is no oil on it at look was actually really clean. So I'm going up there Saturday and replacing the ICP sensor in the dealership parking lot.

On the turbo he said he thinks it's sticking. He said it showed codes for that.. I didn't pull the, before I dropped it off again.. I will take torque pro with me Saturday and look at it. I will go with OEM as my closetest dealership has it in stock and I don't have to wait for it to come in.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:06 PM
Fuha
Cargo Master

So replaced the ICP sensor got this screenshot for you guys. Tech back tracked on the pigtail when I had torque pro open and showed his the volts onnit.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:50 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Mmhmm... $1,044.89 right there Even if they wanted two full hours for diagnostics that's still almost $400 in more labor to replace a sensor that takes 5 minutes, and maybe a 20 minute soldering job.

Book time on the ICP sensor is a load of horse****. 1-2 hour diag and the parts markup, I'm ok with. That's actually fair, paying for IDS and the tech's competence. But the rest of it is just crazy. An STC fitting jobs is only a couple hundred more and involves tearing the top half of the engine down. It's like it never got updated for moving from the HPOP cover to the valve cover.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:10 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So how's it running now? Better worse same

Old 07-21-2017, 06:13 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Mmhmm... $1,044.89 right there Even if they wanted two full hours for diagnostics that's still almost $400 in more labor to replace a sensor that takes 5 minutes, and maybe a 20 minute soldering job.

Book time on the ICP sensor is a load of horse****. 1-2 hour diag and the parts markup, I'm ok with. That's actually fair, paying for IDS and the tech's competence. But the rest of it is just crazy. An SCT fitting jobs is only a couple hundred more and involves tearing the top half of the engine down. It's like it never got updated for moving from the HPOP cover to the valve cover.
x2. That price is CRAZY for replacing both the pigtail and the sensor. You can do both in less then 30 minutes....

Old 07-21-2017, 07:09 PM
Fuha
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by FiznUKa
So how's it running now? Better worse same
It seemed to be running better. I haven't got to drive it yet as it's still at the dealership. Since I haven't paid for them to run the diagnostics on it I told them to go ahead and run it. I rather pay the $159 for that and know that everything is a ok.

Quick Reply: 05 F250 SD 102k miles